1 small step for an average kid, 1 giant leap for difficult child

Farmwife

You are the only people who could understand the magnitude of todays events.

Tiny bit of background: difficult child has always struggled with friendships. He was always the easy one to pick on. We always lived in areas where there were no kids nearby. He has a low self esteem and serious social anxiety. He is 16 and just starting to take tenative steps toward socializing. He has acquantaince, pal, frenemies at school but NOTHING EVER outside of school.

Today that all changed.:bravo:

His football teams quarterback called him to go to the park. difficult child is going to be a reciever for the first time so he needs to practice. This was his very first solo social activity since he was at a birthday party in first grade!!! An hour later he called for permission to go with his guy pals to a girls house. *eek* Now an hour after that he is asking to spend the night at the quarter backs house. (yes a parent is there, lol)

So, husband and I are on our way to town, 9 miles away to officially meet the parents and to quietly drop off some pills.

I'm in shock, a good shock. I almost feel like crying because this small accomplishment is such a huge step for difficult child.

p.s. He loves his job, the bosses are very nice and he also did his chores and worked a small shift today.

Someone pinch me, I must be dreaming.

W

WearyWoman

That's great! Your son deserves friendships and all good things. Thanks for sharing some good news.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Yay!!!! I got teary eyed reading this post. Wonderful news that this young man reached out and helped your son feel wanted. It's a wonderful post and I hope it continues with a vengeance. I'll wait for the day when you post "he is socializing too much" : ) It will be a good day for your difficult child.