10 down, 34 to go!

Scent of Cedar *

I am addicted to daily weighing.

I am not a bigger person. I don't even have a scale. But if I were to weigh myself daily, I would horrify myself. As women, there are going to be periods of time when we retain fluid. That is how our bodies were designed to work.

Perhaps a diuretic, with your doctors permission and appropriate vitamin supplementation, instead of a laxative or even, Metamucil?

Are you drinking enough fluid, California? Eight eight ounce glasses a day, every day?

If you feel you must weigh daily, could you commit to charting your weight over the course of three months to determine your body's patterns re: water retention and bowel status?

Could there be a way for you not to worry or judge yourself harshly as your body performs all the wonderful things it does to keep us alive? You have committed to something wonderful for your emotional self, too.

You are changing your self image, as surely as you are changing your body image.

It is going to take a little time to get there, but you will be living in that time eventually, anyway. Can you try to make the objective to arrive in that next year time having learned, not only to change how you look to others, but how you think and feel about yourself?

That is the real reward, the honest change we are all hoping for.

Kindness to ourselves, and personal integrity.

It is hard to believe in those things for ourselves, sometimes.

Cedar

P.S. I would have eaten the Dairy Queen, too. ISC was correct though, in suggesting high fiber/high nutrient snacks.

Lil

If you feel you must weigh daily, could you commit to charting your weight over the course of three months to determine your body's patterns re: water retention and bowel status?

Yes! Yes! Yes! The problem with daily weighing is you see the scale go up and panic and then you stop eating and you see it go down and the then up and then down...but you don't see the big picture. If at the end of 3 months you've lost a total of 15 lbs, it really doesn't matter if you bounced up and down a bit getting there.

Californiablonde

Ugh I am super frustrated. I have been going down, then up, then down, and up again. I have only lost 9 pounds in the last 3 months. It's those extra weight watchers points that are screwing me. I usually use up my extra "cheat" points on Saturday. I gain approximately 2 pound just on that day alone. I lose approximately 2 pounds throughout the rest of the week. All I am doing is maintaining. I think I need to forget about the weight watchers extra 49 points for now, and just stick with my daily 26, which is HARD! I had a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast courtesy of my work's staff appreciation week,, a tiny little lean cuisine meatloaf for lunch, and I am counting down the hours till I can eat again.

I am starving! I really wish I liked fruit. I really wish I could eat steamed veggies here at work, but I can't cause certain people complain about the smell. I am feeling really let down right now. I feel like I will be stuck at 160 pound forever. I looked at my reflection in the glass doors this morning on my way in to work as I was astonished at my homely appearance. In the tank top and jeans I'm currently wearing, I look like a beached whale. I need some sort of encouragement to keep going. Something, anything!

InsaneCdn

You have 26 points per day and... 49 extra for the week?
Why take the 49 to zero? If you're maintaining now, what happens if you cut that in half? You should start losing again, right?

Californiablonde

Yes I think I am going to have to cut it in half. Only 26 points per day every SINGLE day is just way too difficult for me to follow. Hopefully not using up so many extra points will work. I can only hope!

Scent of Cedar *

I am phone posting and cannot quote.

You posted that you were starving, Cali. What if you could turn that imagery around? Not starving, but keying the hormones that prepare your body to pilfer stored nourishment?

Which is what it is telling you: "Quick! Eat something sugary, or we are going to have to switch to stored energy metabolism!"

:hugs:

Yay for you!!!

On those extra points, Cali? Mini-binges, a time of treating ourselves and feeling replete, are the secret to sustained weight control.

I was just reading something about that very thing.

This is the thing that is happening now, I think. Whatever the mechanism that found you taking good comfort in food is sabotaging your new commitment to recreating yourself.

Maybe, that part of your self is afraid for you. She doesn't understand yet that there will be comfort and joy and strength in this new way of being you are envisioning.

How can you comfort and reassure that frightened little part of you so committed to keeping you safe in those old, tried and true ways? How could you counter her fears, and sort if welcome both her and yourself into the different future you are committed to?

Faith.

This is the time, and holding faith with and believing in yourself is the test, I think. As you let go of old comforts, the issues at the heart of those choices will present to be healed.

You need to become comfortable with holding faith with yourself I think, Cali.

Here is a quote for you:

"Faith is not, contrary to the usual Ideas, something that turns out right or wrong, like a gambler's bet. It is an act, an intention, a project; something that makes you, in leaping into the future, go so far ahead that you shoot clean out of Time and right into Eternity, which is not the end of Time or unending time, but timelessness, that old, Eternal Now. "

Russ

Cedar

Jabberwockey

Yes I think I am going to have to cut it in half. Only 26 points per day every SINGLE day is just way too difficult for me to follow. Hopefully not using up so many extra points will work. I can only hope!

I haven't read up on the WW rules recently but is there a reason you cant use some of those points throughout the week then have a smaller binge on the weekend? Give yourself 28 points per day using 14 of the 49 extra then have a 20 point binge on the weekend which would still put you using 15 fewer points than before. Obviously adjust these numbers to suit you but you get the point.

Californiablonde

Well I have to say I'm a bit proud of myself today. They had ice cream sundaes (which I LOVE) at work for staff appreciation, plus sugar cookies (another fave) and I didn't have any! I am saving my extra points for this weekend, when my eldest son is taking me to my favorite restaurant for breakfast. I am going to order the Belgian waffle with sugar free syrup and I am going to enjoy every bit of it. I had a very hard time not walking down to the teacher's lounge today for my ice cream and cookies, but I managed to stay away! One step forward for me. I have faith I can do this. Slowly, maybe, but I will get there eventually.

Scent of Cedar *

The victory here is so much more than just not walking to the teacher's lounge for ice cream and cookies. I am so proud and happy for you! The internal dialog must be changing. You stood steady in the face of it, and that is a very hard thing.

GREAT JOB!

Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, you are on your way home.

:starplucker:

Cedar

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CB, I am diabetic. More disgusting, I am ALSO reactive hypoglycemic. This means that when I eat sugars, my blood sugar skyrockets and then tanks.

However, like any normal person, I do like sweet things, though I have to minimize my intake of those and refined carbs to maintain healthy blood sugar levels.

Maybe you could do what I do to treat myself: I eat 2 squares of very high quality, extremely high cacao dark chocolate, and immediately follow it with protein and complex carbohydrates. The protein slows the absorption of the sugar so I don't get the spike. The complex carbohydrates level out the drop and give the excess insulin something to work on over a longer period of time so I don't get the crash.

Or, I have a small serving (1/4 cup) of VERY GOOD gelato or custard, and follow it with the same protein/complex carbohydrate mix.

The blood sugar spike/drops are part of why you feel ravenous. A mini-serving of chocolate or some other sweet treat followed by lean protein and a complex carb (I go for natural peanut butter and whole grain toast quite often).

You can have your treats without blowing your diet and without getting hit with cravings to binge if you can stave off the blood sugar weirdness. This just applies to everyone, not just diabetics and hypoglycemics. The only difference is that your blood sugar dropping makes you feel like your starving. I get sick.

Californiablonde

My older son took me out to brunch Saturday and I thought I blew it. I ordered a California omelette, French toast, and hash browns. I did use sugar free syrup which helped, but still, it was a big meal. I thought for sure I gained weight just from Saturday alone. I weighed myself this morning and I maintained. I am so relieved! And my jeans are definitely way looser, so I am making progress, however slow. I may take a year to lose this weight, but even if it takes that long, so be it. I am not giving up now. I already feel a little bit better about my size. Just a few more pounds and I will be back into my size 12's. Woohoo!

InsaneCdn

And my jeans are definitely way looser, so I am making progress, however slow
THAT is a better measure than the scale.
It means your work at exercise is working. You are turning fat into muscle. And adding muscle adds weight - in fact, same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat. But if your measurements are shrinking, you are WINNING!

Keep up the good work.