15 year old easy child threatened to kill himself at school

Oh my, my poor easy child. He's 15 and he told a friend yesterday that his life is not fun, and he wants to kill himself. She told the guidance counselor who spoke to him. The GC said that he is depressed and he can tell just by looking at him that he's sad. He has no expression on his face, or voice, the flat affect. I also notice he isn't eating, he never eats breakfast and he brings his lunch money back home.

I got a call at work, they wouldn't let him go home on the bus and husband and I went to the school and they told us he wanted to talk. Well he only wanted to talk to husband and husband said that he'll be ok. Well, the insurance co. told me to take him to the ER. husband and easy child said no.

I'm crying because I love that kid, and I really am between a rock and hard place. I'm worried, husband doesn't think the ER is needed. I hope he's right. difficult child came over and easy child had fun with difficult child.

klmno

If he isn't going to the ER, I'd suggest a therapist who has REAL training in suicide and depression get called immediately. Maybe even call the crisis center tonight. An ounce of prevention can go a long way, and he needs a trusted therapist right away. Can you could talk to someone at a local crisis center tonight and see if they can get him in to see someone tomorrow?

BusynMember

I'd skip the therapist and go straight to a Psychiatrist who can diagnose and, if necessary, prescribe medication. Then he will likely suggest a therapist who he works with. I wouldn't wait too long. Poor kid :<

trinityroyal

Alyssa, I second MWM's and Klmno's advice. A good psychiatrist who understands suicide, can diagnose and provide medications in conjunction with a therapist.

Poor easy child. Saying prayers and sending hugs.

Trinity

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. I think calling a psychiatrist ASAP is in order. He needs a psychiatrist and a therapist who understand suicide and depression.

Thank the Heavens for the friend who spoke to the Guidance Counsellor - that is a TRUE friend.

Andy

I am so sorry. You must be terrified and eyes on him at all times. Yes, address this ASAP. ER is a way to get help fast. However, I know how you are feeling, I didn't want to go the ER route either. If you have a psychiatric hospital nearby, you can call them and set up an assessment.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree a good psychiatrist is needed. I'm dealing with my easy child being very depressed (no suicide threats) and it is so hard to watch them in so much pain. Gentle hugs to you tonight.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
<hugs> we've been there, more then once, listen to your heart.

Is the school requiring he have an evaluation b4 returning to school?

TerryJ2

Oh, I am so sorry. How sad. But good that you know what he's thinking. I agree with-the others ... get a good psychiatrist and perhaps some medications.
{{hugs}}

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I hope you can help easy child. Being a teen is hard enough. Suffering with depression or anything more severe is so hard.
Listen to your Mommy heart... watch him. Do not hesitate to help him.
Hugs

Jena

I just wanted to jump in and offer my support to you and your family. I hope that you have made some headway in locating a dr since your post. It can be so so difficult. My heart goes out to him.