16 cameras, 1 Mom, 1 baby - 1 crazy grandma

Star*

call 911........call 911
I went to my little second hand store today - it's a Goodwill with 16 cameras. (no kidding)

I'm about to leave and in the center aisle they have racks of clothes for $1. Then they pushed out 2 tier racks and the aisles got tighter.

As I'm trying to get to the middle of the store - a grandmother with a little baby boy in a shopping cart come down the aisle nearly blocking me. I was trying to push the portable racks of clothes over to one side more so I could go around her. The little boy said (heard CLEAR AS DAY) "When can we look at the toys?" I bet he was about two years old. Just a sweetie.

So I'm trying to get around this woman and she's not paying any attention to me - and pushed her cart nearly into me. As she did the little baby asked again so cute "When can we look at the toys?" and instead of saying something nice - this old battleaxe backs her left hand up to strike this child, hits me instead ....I go off balance from the strength of her swing (I'm 200 lbs, 5'9" a tree) and into the clothes racks - and recover in time to say "IF YOU HIT HIM I SWEAR I WILL CALL THE POLICE RIGHT NOW." I WAS FURIOUS!!!!

She looked at me and said "Mind your own business." I stood there looking at her and said "I wouldn't expect an apology out of you since you hit me." she said shrugging like no big deal "You fell." then smiled and walked off.

I went to the manager. I told her what happened and to please watch the little boy. She called a number....she told the person on the other end what she was looking for....only moments ago. She had called the security company - they told her they have the old woman on tape about to strike the baby -they have her hitting me - they have audio of the conversation. Exactly like I told the manager -

Manager asks if I want to press charges for simple assault. DID I WANT TO PRESS CHARGES?? ......um....no. Just worried about the baby. So the manager walks up to the woman and tells her that she needs to leave the store. She gets beligerant with the manager. The manager lowered her voice and then said "We have you on tape. It appears you were about to strike your child, hit another lady, and we have your conversation with that customer. Maam please leave, don't come back."

The woman refused - the manager said she was calling the police and then they'd let them see the tape and then call CPS. (Child protective services). She did NOT need to be watching anyone's child. He only asked if he could look at the toys.

The woman left - but not before she blessed out the entire store, and slung that poor kid on her hips, then.....she said to the baby "THIS IS ALL YOUR f(((((( fault." OMG to a TWO year old.

The manager got her license plate number and called the police -

I left. They know me -so if I need to be called they have my number.

Probably nothing will result from it - but at least he didn't get struck today. I would guess by the wincing it wasn't his first slap to the face.

Just a crying shame......

What is wrong with people - geesh. Children can be challenging, but if you can't handle the ups and downs, then you have no business watching them. Poor little thing. I hope he didn't get smacked on the way home.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I am glad they had the cameras and glad you were there to say something. I hope CPS gets her. No matter how frustrated I get with the kids I do not hit them. Though I so want to. I hate when people act like this.

YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!!!!! KUDOS and LOTS of HUGS!

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
OMG!! That lady needs never watch another child, ever! Thank God you were there...this time. What makes me sad is that the child probably got hit once they were at home. Poor baby! Ugh!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star

Odds are that lil guy got a major whipping the moment she was out of sight of another person. (I know the type, my Mom was one)

I hope CPS is called in on this one. I would've pressed charges, especially after she grinned and told you that you "fell". But I'm a *itch.

Poor lil guy. I really hope someone steps in and helps him. :(

mstang67chic

Going Green
Star

Odds are that lil guy got a major whipping the moment she was out of sight of another person. (I know the type, my Mom was one)

I hope CPS is called in on this one. I would've pressed charges, especially after she grinned and told you that you "fell". But I'm a *itch.

Poor lil guy. I really hope someone steps in and helps him. :(

Unfortunately I agree with what happened later. But...I also agree with Daisy on pressing charges. Darn skippy I would have.

I fell? Nuh uh lady...Smile! You're on candid camera! (B****)

But....that's just me.

I am glad though that you and the manager both did what you did. Let's hope something good comes of it.

Lothlorien

If she knocked you over, I can't imagine what a strike like that would have done to the child. I hope the cops find her and CPS does get involved. If she's going to do that in public, what has she done in the privacy of her own home? I wonder what she did to him after she left. I shudder to think of it.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Star,
I'm so glad you were there for the little one. I hope CPS does get involved, that poor little child. Hugs to you Star-you did good today.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I guess sometimes when you are in situations like that you do what is best or what you think is best, and at the time I thought the best thing to do would be to leave it be - and report her to the manager. In hindsite you are right - I should have pressed charges.

I told DF about it and he was blown away that her swing knocked ME off balance. (told you I am a tree). We thought about that baby on and off all night.

Abbey

Spork Queen
What a piece of work. Unfortunately, you will never know if CPS was contacted and what they did. Poor little guy. Knowing my temper, I probably would have snatched the little guy out of the cart...grabbed a toy and hid with the kid. Then I'd be in jail. That's my luck. Go figure.

Abbey

Marguerite

Thewoman tod you that you fell. And grinned. Which tells me - she is accustomed to telling people her own (different) version of events. And she is accustomed to having her version of events accepted as truth, even when they obviously are not.

Which tells me - she is habitual.

You did the right thing to report it. You should have pressed charges, with hindsight, because sure as eggs that kid was copping it as soon as she was away form prying cameras.

Marg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star, you did your best at the time.

I wouldn't have been stunned by her behavior because I grew up with that sort of thing. I knew what was coming next for that child. Lived it. Someone not accustomed to it would've been stunned and their reaction blunted.

You did good under the circumstances. I'm glad the situation was taped and authorities were called. I hope they step in for this child.

Hindsight is always 20/20. And you're willing to be a witness. Most people wouldn't even want to get involved.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
My family is surprised I am not being bailed out of jail right now.

Now I feel awful......ugh.

Marg- you're right - that look she gave was equal to the Grinch's look when he figured out how to rip-off Whoville. It just unfurled.

The police were called.....and she was reported. That's all we know.

witzend

Well, if the police contact you for your side of the story, tell them that you changed your mind and you do want to press charges, after all.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Well, if the police contact you for your side of the story, tell them that you changed your mind and you do want to press charges, after all.

Actually....call them yourself. The manager of the store may have a contact number for the reporting officer. Surely since it's only been a couple of days, you could still file charges.