17 year old won't stop smoking weed

Mesha712

I have a 17 yr old son that will not stop smoking weed. I have him in a counseling program 3 days a week. It doesn't seem to be working at all. I have been struggling to help him for a few years now. I've taken everything away t.v., cell phone, clothes, bedroom door, sold his car, etc. nothing I do is working. He told me he can't stop. I need some advice. I don't let him hang out with friends, or go anywhere due to his behavior. He will be 18 in 7 months. Any suggestions are appreciated.

BusynMember

Hi there and welcome to the board, although we are all sorry that you had to come here.

Can you tell us more about your son? Are you sure he is just smoking weed and not involved in other drugs too?

What does he mean by he can't stop? Is he psychologically addicted or does his peer group threaten him if he would stop? (This happened to my daughter, although she was over her head in drug abuse and did far more than just smoke weed). How is your son doing in school? At home?

Here are some red flags for a child using more than pot: lying to you, stealing from you, selling his belongings, staying up all night, sleeping all day, refusing school, cutting school, running away, becoming uncharacteristically violent, friends are using a lot of different drugs, and breaking the law. I'm sure there are other markers, but these the ones I lived with and know about.

Hugs and welcome again.

exhausted

I dont know if I have advise. I have an 18 year old with a nasty pot habit as well. We have done it all-Residential Treatment Center (RTC), counseling of many types, alternative education and we still have a pot issue. By the way everything, but the violence that Midwestmom posted, is also a sign of marijuana use. It is not always a gateway drug, but can be and if addiction is in your family, you may want to seek more structured help. Day treatment, Rehab. (Esp. If behaviors are an issue).

No amount of restrictions on your part will keep him from it if he wants it and is self-medicating. My daughter swears it is the only thing that gives her releif from her depression and anxiety. She is very mellow on it. We dont approve of it because it is illegal here...but just across the border, where it islegal, it is given for BiPolar (BP), depression etc.

Without knowing more, maybe attending alanon, or families anon. will help you. I have found support there. I dont buy into all of it, but that is the beauty, you take what helps and leave the rest. I agree that 17 is a tough time. At 18, you have almost no power, so its now or never to get rehab. help. Quitting mj is tough.

Jgray

I hear some many familer stories here. We are all looking for that one answer that clicks and then solves our problem. My 18 yr old difficult child says he sees nothing wrong with it and does not plan on quitting(even though he had a problem last year with prescription medications and other drugs). We thin we are on the right track and then within a week its like we are starting at ground zeron again. I do feel all of your pain and I am sorry that I have no answers for you. We have told our son that it is not going to happen in our house and we wont be enablers. So he will have to get a job and move out and support himself. We will be glad to support the loving caring drug free son that we know is deep inside.