17 years ago tonight

susiestar

Roll With It
17 years ago right NOW husband and I were a MESS. We had bought a package of pampers newborn, and babywipes, and we had the bassinet set up and were all on pins and needles.

We hadn't been sleeping much because I was SO miserable being preg with Wiz. husband was wearing his winter coat INSIDE because I still had the airconditioner on because I was HOTTER than August in the Desert! (We still laugh about that because I am usually the FIRST to get cold, but I sure wasn't that year.)

We talked way into the night, full of hopes and dreams and excitement. Neither of us had ever been a parent and we were SO scared we would screw it up.

Now, 17 years and 3 kids later, we have pretty much screwed up just about everything we could, and it still has come out pretty OK.

I am planning to bake a cake for Wiz tomorrow, and will surprise him after school with it.

I am spending time this evening marvelling at the fact that I have a 17 yo child, that my 17yo child is doing very well in spite of many things and because many others. It is an amazing feeling. I really thought we would be dealing with prison and parole officers with him, and we aren't. And that is amazing. Even more amazing, he seems to "get it" on many social and emotional things, esp with regard to other people having feelings.

He isn't perfect, and neither are we.

But tonight and tomorrow are for giving thanks. I was at family night at school with thank you and watched him walk across a room - MAN he looks like Wiz did at that age. And while they have similar interests, thank you is SO different. It is incredible that 2 people can look that alike and be so different, and both be wonderful.

Happy Birthday to Wiz!

M

ML

What a blessing he has brought to your life. 17 years goes by soooooooo fast. The most important life lesson I have learned (don't always practice) is to value the little things and focus on the now. What a sweet memory of parental innocence. And because of your love for him and doing the best you could he's doing great and you are now inspiring so many of us and giving us the hope that it might be ok for us too. Blessings, ML

maril

How nice to hear your story! Happy Birthday to your Wiz! I have a "November baby," too, and was just thinking about her last weekend around the time she was born - how my sweet little baby grew up to be such a good young woman.

Have fun tomorrow!

Andy

Happy B-Day Wiz - Mom gets to update her signature again! Where do the years go?

Congratulations Susie!

TerryJ2

Ohh, what a wonderful note! What a great birthday tribute.
And what hope you bring to the rest of us.
Thankyou. :)

Jena

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WIZ!!!!!

I am so sorry i missed this one!!!

Susie what a nice post, so reflective i could actually see you both there talking, planning excited. Wow those memories can be great, can't they??

You should marvel in the 17 years, the 3 kids, some very hard and good choices made and the fact that it's all good right now, and so is Wiz. you and husband have done a great job!!

Yes, it is funny how two children can be so totally different and opposite. I'm glad you made it to the family night. :) I hope you enjoy the cake tomorrow. :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
HAPPY BIRTHDAY WIZ!

Love
Auntie Star - YES I AM MAGICAL - watch me disappear.......

see? I'm invisible. :laugh:

everywoman

Susie, I am so happy that you are able to celebrate his birth with joy and happiness. It is a nice feeling. I can remember years that I had a hard time celebrating my difficult child because he made life so difficult for so many years. And it saddens me now, that I couldn't feel happy that he was here. Today, I have worked through all of that, and I can appreciate his good qualities and concentrate on those. I'm glad it didn't take you as long.

B

bran155

Susie, your post gave me goose bumps!!! Happy birthday Wiz!!!! Congrats to mom and dad for doing a great job. Enjoy and know that while you all are singing the happy birthday song all of your friends here will be with you all in spirit.

God bless. :)

trinityroyal

Happy Birthday Wiz!
And Congratulations Warrior Mom.

Susie, you evoked such a beautiful, hopeful image. Hope you are all enjoying this very special day!

Trinity

B

butterflydreams

Happy birthday Wiz! :hapBday:

Wow, warrior Mom! 17 years! My easy child/difficult child will be 17 on her b-day and I am still trying to grasp it.

Christy