18 year old son refuses to take his medications

A dad

You know my oldest had a roommate for 2 years it my son's apartment but it helped with the bills. Now his roommate was smoking probably doing drugs playing video games most of the time but my son had no problem with that as long as he payed half the bills and rent and kept the apartment besides his room reasonably clean he did not care.
This thing work when you do not live with your parents your roommate has no expectations he just wants the money and to not make things harder for him. You could try presenting the advantages in moving out.
Of course those bills and rent must be payed somehow so he might need a job but maybe he will like the idea and move out on his own. Its his decision and spares you a good amount of grief.

A dad

How active was he when he was on medications. Did he spent less time on video games was more excited about school?

BusynMember

Since he is 18 is suicidal ideation enough to get him into a hospital or as I fear he will show them he is ok and they will let him go?
He has to be actively suicidal or homicidal and likely will only be kept a very short while because insurance doesn't cover much more.
By 18, unless they overdose or have a detailed suicide plan or try to choke somebody, they are not able to be committed, even if they are hallucinating and desperately need the help. That's the sad reality of our mental health system. I saw a documentary that said our biggest mental health facility in the U.S. is now our jails.
I would not buy an 18 year old who thinks he doesn't need to do anything a car. If he can't work, then he can't drive and have party time either. JMO.

BusynMember

My ex wanted a 2nd opinion on his medication treatment, son liked other dr but she was horrible and put him on medication that kept him sleeping all day, she wouldn't listen when I told her it seemed to be wrong medication and I think that experience turned him off to medications. He was fine with his medications until this happened, and I am so sorry that I went along getting a second opinion.
Yes. Not all medications help. Some make people work. Antidepressants are hit or miss and many get turned off. I have been in tons of self help groups in my life and many depressives would rather stay depressed than be on drugs that zombie them up. You feel like a guinea pig. Just because it says "antidepressant" doesn't mean it will work on everyone's particular body chemistry. I had such a bad experience with Lithium's zombie-like effects I never again would try a mood stabilizer, although since then the bipolar diagnosis I had at first was changed anyway to mood disorder-not otherwise specified. A good example of how our psychiatric diagnoses can and often do change with the psychiatrist (being that it is not an exact science).

I read once that 60% of all people with bipolar don't take medication. I'm sure that has to do with side effects, not the least which are sleepiness, foggy brain, and a dulling of emotions. As a patient you have to be your own advocate. Tell your son, if he is willing to try again, to research each medication before taking it. I also refused to continue any drug that made me feel dream-like or zombie-like or gave bad side effects no matter how the doctor insisted (often they do). I would find another doctor who was more flexible. Often, we are told, "It's not the drugs causeing the side effects. It's the depression." Often, that's untrue.

If one doesn't advocate for oneself, medications can be a very bad experience. You have to be willing to challenge the doctor and to change doctors, if necessary. Doctors aren't Gods, especially not psychiatrists.Not everyone is a good self-advocate and doctors intimidate them, but actually THEY are working for US.

Good luck!!!!