1st day of summer school a bust

TerryJ2

difficult child called me after school (7:20 a.m.-2:00 p.m. for 2 wks) and went on and on about how awful the teacher is, how crowded the class is (more than 30 kids), how disorganized it is, how he doesn't understand any of it, seven straight hrs of instruction is too much to pay attention to, he's going to flunk, and we wasted $200. Oh, and he didn't get any lunch.
Alrighty, then.
He should have thought of that back when he was staring out the window or texting this past yr in algebra I.
He said they spent the first 2 hrs in the cafeteria waiting for some smell to go away in another room. Hmm.

husband and I were very understanding but firm. We told him not to be so negative and that everything he told us can be remedied.
For example, the teacher wrote in purple ink on a black background on the PowerPoint presentation. And refused to turn out the lights when the kids said they couldn't see, because he didn't want them to fall asleep.
It's loud and chaotic, and hard to concentrate. And then the teacher has them work problems, and just when difficult child is concentrating, the teacher interrupts and yells at the kids who are making noise.
I told difficult child that if he's just patient, by next wk, half the kids will be gone. They just won't show up. He insisted they had to be there to graduate (all 4 yrs of classes are there). I said, so? I bet they'll just skip out. Then it will be quieter.
We also told him to sit in the front row. He said he hates that because he feels like everyone is staring at him and the hair on the back of his neck stands up.
Oh, and we told him to wear his glasses or contacts. (Ya think?)

The teacher goes way too fast.
Well, considering that it's an entire semester in 2 wks, I should think so!
I do think it's a dumb plan. I mean, if every one of these kids is having problems in math, they're all going to flunk when it's this accelerated. Who came up with-this schedule? I told difficult child that the teacher is probably as upset as he is, because the admin just shoved them all together. He said he knew that but it didn't make him feel any better.

As for lunch, I paid for it in advance. He said some kids were paying cash. I have no idea why. And he didn't even know that lunch was at 9 a.m. He thought it was just a 20 min break!

Oh, and no books. There aren't enough.
And no handouts.
Arrgh!
Of course, no 504 plan ...

I'll be calling admin in the morning.

I made two dinners for him (and everyone) tonight. Homemade gluten free meatballs, rice, and broccoli, and homemade white chicken chili. He ate it all. And an hr later, pulled out the leftover meatballs that husband didn't eat, and heated them up in the microwave. :)

InsaneCdn

I thought ours was bad... and they do it in four weeks. Yikes!

I never count on food provided at functions - even IF it is actually provided, it is never enough and never timed right. I always send snacks (minimum three, but difficult child is usually done these by shortly after lunch, of course). And a good-sized water bottle. Not enough to eat and drink will always cause a difficult child even more problems than they already have.

Bunny

Whoever made up this schedule obviously never had to attend summer school. How do they expect these kids to understand an entire semester's worth of work in only two weeks if they had trouble with it over a whole semester? I agree that you and husband had to be firm with him about needing to go. Hopefully, it will get better as you told him.

I would call the administrator. If alot of the kids were saying they could not see what was being written on the smart board that is something that can be fixed. And I think that 30 kids in one summer school class is just asking for trouble.

ksm

what a disaster! 9am breakfast and no lunch? Even on jobs you would get a break! I think a little feedback is in order for the school and teacher. It doesn't sound like the teacher is well prepared either. Good luck! KSM

TerryJ2

I drove over and met the teacher today. He's young. I thought ... about 24.
difficult child said that the teacher told the class that he was 39. Hmm. Don't know why he had to announce that. Maybe because he looks so young?
Anyway, difficult child was sitting waaaay in the back. Grrr.
I told Mr. W that difficult child has a 504. He said he didn't know that, made a notation, and said difficult child could have a bit more time for things. Yay!
I also mentioned the purple on black display, and that difficult child should be wearing his glasses. :)
And Mr. W let us sign out a math book.
And difficult child got homework today. :)
Now, to figure out how to get him lunch. Because no one gets lunch! They snack for 20 min. I'll have to send some real food with-him in the a.m.
I'm waiting for a call back from admin. I want to know who planned to smash 30 failing kids into an 8 day summer crash course.

L

Liahona

Oh, I doubt you'll get a name, but if you complain enough about it maybe they will change things for next year. Hopefully difficult child won't have to do summer school next year.