3:20am and I'm in pain :(

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I have a feeling I've got a gall bladder problem. I've had increasing abdominal pain and bloating that started in the upper right quad around 11:30 this evening. I feel it radiating in my back, too. It's not reflux. It's not gas. And nothing I do helps. I've tried changing positions, heating pad, ibuprofen, antacid, walking, laying on my left side, right side -- ugh. I had a similar episode about a week ago but after I took 2 ibuprofen then it seemed to just spontaneously resolve. Now it's back and I'm getting worried. :(

Don't know if I should go to the ER or wait a bit longer to see if it passes again.

Anyone here had gall bladder problems? What did you do?

Mattsmom277

I'm sorry you are hurting. I did have gallbladder problems but it hadn't gotten so bad. They took it out when I had gastric bypass surgery. Only when it was out did I know how much it had affected me. I was so relieved.

I hate to say go to er when it's probably the last thing you want to do. I do think though that you should. Also not at all to scare or be alarmist but that is similar to my aunts issues and it was a heart attack. Please put aside the frustration er causes for most of us and get thee to a doctor. This time of day it probably won't be a crazy long wait time. Keep us posted. Thinking of you

KTMom91

My gallbladder pain was totally in my lower back; in fact, I thought I had a kidney infection. It took both an MRI and an ultrasound before the doctor decided gallbladder. My mom had symptoms similar to yours, and being the martyr that she is, did nothing for a couple of weeks until she couldn't stand the pain any longer. Her gallbladder was gangrenous. That required a nice long hospital stay.

I realize the ER on a Sat night/Sun morning is no picnic, but I think you should go.

T

TeDo

I hope you went to the ER. My gallbladder pain was all in my abdomen. I ended up having a gallstone the size of a golf ball that the first doctor I worked with for a month said was too big to get into the duct and cause any problems. My old family doctor (after I moved back to my hometown) said it needed to come out because it moving around is what was causing the pain and "It's not gonna get any smaller. (add sarcasm)".

If you haven't gone yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? CHRISTMAS? (said with a wink and a smile)

buddy

Hope you are feeling better....in my late 20's had a gallbaldder attack, radiated to my shoulder blade, sweatty, couldn't talk, breathe well, that kind of pain where you want to just pass out it would help.... Had to have emergency surgery. Can be serious under certain conditions so nothing to play with.

I honestly think I had ptsd from it for a long time, over it now but I can remember how scary that much pain was. Take care of yourself.

luv, Dee

DazedandConfused

I had no symptoms of gall bladder problems until I gave birth to Son. Then, horrible pain that radiated from my mid-back area. I had no idea what was going on at first, then I went to the doctor who told me I was having gall bladder attacks. Both my Mom and Grandmother had theirs out in their twenties. Since I had to wait a few months before I could have it out, while I recovered from a c-section, I had to take note what would set off an attack. Roast beef or any kind of fatty meat guaranteed an attack. Not fun to have while trying to breast feed a hungry baby in the middle of the night.

I had it removed when Son was about six months old. Don't delay having it checked out as you risk damaging other surrounding organs.

You have my empathy regarding the pain. It is very, very, unpleasant.

ctmom05

My gall bladder issues were quite painful. The pain I felt was usually in my upper abdomen. As the intensity of the attacks grew, I would end up with searing pain, nausea, and sweatiness. Occasionally I would vomit.

My doctor checked me out and ordered testing and then surgery was scheduled. I am pretty objective when it comes to figuring out when to go to the doctor - for me, it was the escalating intensity of the attacks.

Sounds like you have plenty enough to go on to warrant a doctor's visit. I hope you have some answers soon and some comfort, too.

P

PatriotsGirl

Sounds exactly like gallbladder! Get an ultrasound. I used to wake up in the middle of the night in extreme pain - crying it hurt so bad. I was misdiagnosed - doctor tried telling me it was from sitting at a computer all day (pain radiated through to my back). I diagnosed myself online and I was right. Mine was about to burst when I demanded an ultrasound.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I did not go to the ER, but I did call my GI doctor this morning to relay the info and am waiting for a call back. The receptionist said she'll either have me come in or order some tests. Sounded like my guess wasn't far off the mark based on how my call was received.

The pain did finally subside about an hour after I posted. I'd taken another ibuprofen (probably should have taken two to start with anyway) and applied the heating pad and that seemed to do the trick like it had the week before.

Pretty sure at this point what I've experienced is biliary colic Biliary colic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and not a full-blown gallbladder problem requiring immediate surgery. But I'll let the doctor advise on that aspect. Maybe it can be managed for now. I hope, I hope, I hope.

I'll update when I know more.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
GI is faxing over ultrasound orders. I should know better than to let a doctor know I've done any reading online -- they immediately assume I'm an idiot that reads the first thing that pops up and takes it as gospel. I guess they're supposed to take what the patient says with a grain of salt until testing bears out the truth. But sheesh, give me a little credit! Anyway, she said "well it could possibly be the gallbladder, but let's get an ultrasound to see what might be going on".

We'll see when they can get me in...

Lothlorien

Keep us posted. Docs thought I had a gallbladder problem after giving birth to Missy. Had pain in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen. Turned out it was a kidney infection (had a cath put in during surgery immediately after having her). I was relieved. Maybe it's just a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI).

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't think it's that, Loth. I've had those before and this is very different.

My appointment is Wednesday morning for the ultrasound. So we'll see what we see!