4 Phone Calls From Other Parents

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
So today I got the 4th phone call in 2 weeks from yet another frustrated parent who is being given the run around from our Special Education department.

I am an official member of the new "parental advisory committee" but we've only met once and you could tell the Special Education director was only there because he had to be.

I guess I am getting the calls because I have a big mouth and I have friends around town who know I am also not happy.

Sigh..... gearing up for the fight in the fall on my own issues, at least there is power in numbers.

Sara PA

Forming the advisor committee is all that's going to happen. The SD now gets to write in it's reports that it has one. You didn't really expect that they were actually going to take any advice from you, did you? Silly girl.

(Pardon my cynicism, it's aimed at the SD, not you. Of course you took them at their word. You expected them to be honorable people.)

klmno

Wow, I was wishing I had time to do something like this- but I guess it makes sense that it would be mostly for shoe for the sd. At least you do get to compare notes with other parents, and I think you're right- there is strength in numbers. If nothing else, you are in a poistion to help spread the word and maybe show up at a Board of Super. meeting or something. At least I would hope you can- they don't frown on the advisory committee doing that do they?

Sheila

With 4 parents calling already, sounds as if they need a parent advisory committee. lol

Wish you all the best with-this endeavor.

SRL

Is there a school board member on the advisory committee? If not, I'd suggest you get on the phone and find one who will attend the meetings.

For 5 years I've been on a school district advisory committee that has people from all levels (parents, school board, administration) and while I can't say that all of my efforts have paid off directly in terms of accomplishing what I'd like to see happen, I have forged relationships with individuals to relay concerns to.

Our district does solicit a lot of input from parents but the process only works because it's set up to work that way--a few parents meeting with an administrator who has already made up their mind is bound to fail.