5 month marker

DDD

Have you had a neuro/psychological evaluation done by a qualified independent team? Very often those evaluations are able to identify the various problems and diagnosis. that indicate, to some degree, what the future may hold for him and for you. I strongly advise that you don't rely on information provided by social services. Much is left out of the history on purpose...and...since social service workers are not trained Psychiatrists they interpret based on their own viewpoint. Also due to the economy I am hearing more frequent cases of support services being reduced or cut. Not only is it physically and emotionally stressful to raise a difficult child, the financial burder can eliminate retirement funds much faster than ever anticipated. I'm very glad that you are not moving forward with adoption at this time. Meanwhile it is good news that life has settled down a bit. Many of us refer to the rollercoaster ride of living with difficult child's. It does go up and then often quickly goes down. Good luck in your decision making process. Hugs. DDD

K

keepongoing

I have a difficult child but I also teach a self-contained class.
It is important that you will be an informed advocate for your kid in school. I recommend Wrightslaw's 'From Emotion to advocay' 2nd edition. Your kid is in a self-contained setting,
he will have behaviors otherwise he'd have no business being in a self-contained setting. The school needs to have a plan on how to deal with and prevent his behaviors and the plan can not just be reactive and punative. I would ask for an FBA (Functional behavior Assessment) at the IEP meeting. If he does not have one, they should do one. Keep track of his suspensions -if they reach ten day he needs to be evaluated to see if his behaviors are due to his disability (duh) and develope a behavior intervention plan. Personally I am no fan of suspensions -all they do is teach a kid what to do to get out of school. In my experience for most kids with behavior problems suspensions are an incentive.

L

Liahona

I'm sorry for your mothers death and hope the adoption goes well. It sounds like he is doing better than when last you posted. Did you take him to the attachment therapist?