5 yr old dughter with behavior issues

em87

My 5 year old daughter just started kindergarten and I thought her behavior was improving, but it seems not. She will be happy and fine one minute then screaming and crying the next. In one instance we picked her up from preschool and she was screaming and acting out and five minutes later in the car she just starts giggling. I don't understand it and her pediatrician does not want to do anything about it until she is older. She will throw herself down and kick and scream. Today she even kicked me in the leg for no reason then laughed. If you tell another child I love you and even if you just told her the same she starts crying saying "you don't like me, you like her more". The worst part is probably the lies. She lies continuously and makes up bizarre stories. She went to her dads this past weekend and stole candy from the gas station (not the first time) and we have repeatedly explained that this is not ok to steal.I don't know what to do. I love her so much, and I want to get her the help she needs. She hits my other children and is constantly climbing and getting into things she knows she isn't supposed to do, and then lies and says it was her brother or sister. I put her in time out and she will scream at the top of her lungs and tell me she hates me... and yet her doctor says she is too young for any kind of psychological evaluation. I just want to know what is wrong with her if anything, or if this is normal (which I think is highly unlikely as my other children do not have these behavioral problems.

Can you take her to someone else like a child pychiatrist? My daughter had similar behavior from age 3 and I just thought she was "spirited" and would outgrow it. She was diagnosis with bipolar at age 15. I do know medication can help young children and I know from these lists and Nami that medications are given to much younger children, like age 2. Check out Balanced Mind Foundation (online), this is for parents of children with mood disorders. There is online support group for parents parenting young kids.

em87

Bipolar is exactly what I think of when I read about the symptoms. I don't know if I can go to a child psychiatrist without a referral. Insurance is pretty picky about the referral thing and won't pay without one. I hate to think of her being medicated, I have heard so many horror stories about that and it scares me. I don't want her to be a zombie, but I would love to have her behavior improved. I know medication can help, but I wonder if their would be any long-term side effects with her being so young.

Call and find out if you need a referral, if so keep trying until you get that referral. I fully understand about the medications. I was totally into natural remedies, healthy diet,etc. In my experience, she needed the medications. First step though, is getting that referral!