@*%%&$&$@%*!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
Dental problems are hte worst. My teeth are now gone and I don't miss them. Given the Vit D issue they literally disintegrated in my mouth. One fell apart while I was eating applesauce. Not even the chunky kind, just regular applesauce!

A quick and easy fix for tooth pain is to use clove oil or ground cloves on the sore tooth. It will numb the pain. I preferred to put a pinch of ground cloves (cheap or expensive, both worked about the same - and by cheap I mean a bottle I picked up at a Big Lots because I was in a strange town and could not find a grocery or walmart type store, so I went with the super cheap brand that Big Lots had.) right against the sore tooth between the tooth and my lip/cheek. Flavor wasn't always my favorite, but it helped surprisingly well. The oil did not last nearly as long as the ground cloves did.

Kanka is also very good. Get the old fashioned kind and not the new softbrush version. The softbrush is nice, but the old kind lasts longer. It is a liquid in a little bottle. If you can let your sore area dry a bit, then put the kanka on and let that dry a few seconds, it makes a seal around the sore spot and lasts the longest of any of the topical numbing agents I have tried. I have tried every brand in the grocery/walmart back before I had my teeth pulled! I tended to use the walmart version of orajel until I tried kanka. Kanka costs more, but is worth the cost if you let it dry out and form that seal.

I am sorry you are all going through all this dental pain. I remember my first crown back in my teens. I had a few cavities but not a lot, and then suddenly in less than 18 mos after the braces came off - POW! - 3 crowns. The day after the first one my father told me I had proof that I was his princess, lol.

Did you know that the dentist can etch something into your crown for identification in case it is ever needed? I had 2 gold crowns with etched marks in them. Several people told me that they would fade away in a year or so, but when they were pulled over 20 yrs later those marks were still there. My dad wanted me to have them etched because I was going to school so far from home at the time. Now I just have surgical hardware, sigh.

witzend

Do you have a bite guard? Get one for the lower teeth rather than the uppers. You can't see the lowers, and when you sleep with the uppers you'll dream that you have a big wad of gum in your mouth. But it will keep you from tearing your teeth and fillings apart.

TerryJ2

:) I've got an OTC one that is huge.
I'm going to have a small one made for the lower teeth in a couple of weeks.
I woke up this a.m. with a start--grinding my teeth! Ouch! Bad girl.

susiestar

Roll With It
If a bite guard is uncomfortable and you cannot get a smaller one made yet, a bite wafer might be helpful. It is a horseshoe shaped piece of the stuff bite-guards are made of (OTC ones anyway). Orthodontists use them to help patients. I could not STAND a mouth-guard and nothing at all was helping. I just have TMJ that flares periodically. My mom grinds her teeth so hard she is wrecking them. I went to my old orthodontist and the secretary just gave me 5 or 6 of them. She didn't know what to charge me, so she just gave them to me.

The bite wafer is much smaller but goes between your teeth to help protect them. I wore the wafer at night and it was much easier to use than the mouthguard.

TerryJ2

So, why does your mom grind her teeth? Is it stress? Heredity?
Do I need a truckload of Xanax?
Can't wait for tomorrow--Monday and the roads are clear. Two dental appointments should clear things up.

susiestar

Roll With It
There are several reasons she grinds her teeth at night. She actually spent about a year in invisalign braces because one reason was a serious misalignment. Her teeth were not meeting properly and her body was trying to grind the teeth down to meet properly, but all it was doing was destroying them. That helped a whole lot actually. She still has some problems, but the bite wafers are now all she needs at night.

Xanax isn't going to stop the grinding unless your anxiety is VERY high and you are doing it while you are awake due to anxiety. My mom has taken it for years in small amounts and it doesn't improve the grinding at all. Helps with other stuff, but not that.

TerryJ2

Oh, well, that's interesting. Good to know.
I hope she feels better!
And I clench a bit in the daytime, but nothing like what I do at night. Hmm.