6 a.m. phone calls

It was snowing here all night last night. Our school system has a fancy automatic notification system for cancelations and postponements. The system calls our house phone, cell phone, my work phone, and sends us an email. Very convenient, no need to watch the TV to see if our school district scrolls across the screen for late start or no classes (there are so many school districts and private schools around here that it can take 30 minutes for yours to roll around again).

So I was halfway expecting the calls, assuming that the bus would be late, but not so. They activated the system to inform us that school would be on the normal schedule. Thanks guys, nice to know that at 6 a.m. I just wonder how many parents heard the phone ring and said to themselves "Oh good, I can sleep in a bit" and rolled over and turned off the alarm...

Actually it was probably a good decision, I imagine many parents were wondering and appreciated having a definitive answer so they could get on with their day. And 6 is not that early, I usually get up at 6 anyway. It just struck me as ironic to get three calls and an email informing me that everything was going to be routine and normal today.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If school called me a 6 am just to tell me school was OPEN, I think I'd have to go in there and strangle someone.

Sounds like a cool system for school closings though.

by the way we've got a storm going on right now. We're already above the predicted amt of snowfall and it's still snowing pretty hard. lol

Lothlorien

I hate those calls that early in the am. I know they do it for highschoolers, because they get on the bus much earlier, but sheesh, can't they wait until 7 am for the grade schoolers?? They don't get to school until 9 am. You are probably right about many parents thinking that when the phone rang, the kids had off without answering it and kids didn't go to school

TerryJ2

I just wonder how many parents heard the phone ring and said to themselves "Oh good, I can sleep in a bit" and rolled over and turned off the alarm...

Ewww! Good point!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Personally ?

I wouldn't mind getting a call like that = it would mean that difficult child was home, and going to regular school. To me it would mean Dude wasn't so difficult child that he couldn't live at home.

Odd way to think -but true