9/11 Update...Thanks!

DDD

easy child/difficult child called late last night and had an update. The attorney
met with him after dinner and got him to sign releases to be
seen by a new Psychiatrist (possibility) and for his own MD to
share his Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) obervations. There will be Court today but it is
expected to be another medical continuance. easy child/difficult child did not seem
at all alarmed that the medical releases are good up to 12/30.
I'm trying to put a "good spin" on it in MY head. I know he is
safe and I know he is alive. That's a huge improvement from a
year ago November when it was iffy if we would ever be able to
bring him home from the hospitals.

If there is any change today, I'll update you. Meanwhile, I guess all the pigging out and "washing it down" over at Vero :smile: must have messed with our systems. Both husband and I
are sniffin' and sneezin' these past 24 hours. :ill:

:rofl: Maybe it was just too big a shock to have freedom like
big grownups! LOL

Thanks for covering the emotional fort. It truly helped. DDD

DDD

Yep, it was another medical continuance. This PD is trying to
get the proof that the Probation restrictions are too difficult
for easy child/difficult child due to his cognitive and memory problems. He has not
committed a crime since before his brain surgery...but he has
been locked up probably seven months this year for violation of
probation based on being in, or near, others doing something
wrong. That's alot of his life spent incarcerated locally for
things that he might not be able to judge in advance as issues.

Personally I keep seeing more and more and more articles on TBIs
in magazines, newspapers and just this week on the front page of
AOL. Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)'s manifest in an inconsistent way and thousands and thousands of our young soldiers are coming home damaged just like
easy child/difficult child. The AOL article this week was particularly poignant as
it included soldiers who, like my child, don't recognize that they have brain damage. There has been a high instance of suicide from the V.A. hospitals by young soldiers who have finally gotten to go home and then finally "see" that they are no
longer normal. The depression rate, the unemployment rate, the
s.a. percentages etc. are staggering. It's like Agent Orange
multiplied for this generation of soldiers.

Perhaps the publicity will help my son...cause it really honestly
is "hard" to "see" Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) damage unless you live with someone 24/7
so you can judge the before and the after.

Anyway.........thanks for the support. I did a GREAT job of pretending that I was a nice normal senior citizen inebriate with
NO children this weekend! LOL DDD

Merris

I've been thinking of you and difficult child all day. Prayers have been going up. I'm glad there's still a chance that will consider his situation. Whew! Fingers and toes crossed. Maybe we can all write letters and explain what has happened to him. Maybe that will sway the opinion. Just say the word. I'll do all the research and prompt everyone :smile:

KFld

I'm so glad you were able to enjoy your weekend. I know you pretended to have no children, so I hope you didn't just pretend to have a good time??

We all need that sometimes.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Thought of you & son many times yesterday, thanks for the update. I completely understand what you mean about the difficulties of dealing with TBIs. We work with several clients who have Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and even with our specific training, it continues to be challenging to deal with.

Certainly your son should be given further treatment options, rather than simply jail. I'm glad to see he seems to be taking the incarceration in stride, however.

Happy you enjoyed yourself over the weekend!!

Peace

DDD

Oh yeah, I forgot to say the continuance is until the first week
of October but evidently the attorney expects it to drag out until December or so.

SO....that is SO not, lol, significant other....I'll try to refocus on the other Board members who are in crisis and float
along with my own gig for awhile.

Silly as it sounds I honestly, really, truly did not worry at all
while I was gone as I knew you guys had my back. Thanks. DDD

O

OTE

DDD
Sorry I've missed this. Glad he's still home and safe for now anyway.

One other thought, nothing speaks like numbers. Look into a QEEG. It measures, in numbers, all the brain activity in each little part of the brain. May have trouble getting medication insur to pay as the purpose is really to take to court but hopefully his doctor can get insurance approval as it can also point to better therapies and particularly more appropriate medications. Also takes a really good neurologist to read it! But the info it gives is priceless in pointing out exactly where the deficits are and numerically how significant they are.

DDD

Nice to see you back, OTE. I've missed you.

easy child/difficult child is still in jail and they are still getting continuances.
He is getting "antsy" to get out of there and I am hopeful that
he uses his brain to figure out not to sign off on something again in order to get home.

I am not familiar with that test so I'm making notes. His insurance coverage is through his Mother and since he is not a
student, I imagine they will not support testing. on the other hand it is a
valuable tool and I won't forget.

How are things with you, my friend? DDD