9 days in a row

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child has gone 9 days in a row with no violence at home-none-now I know that isn't a long time but it's his longest break in a long while. He was really happy tonight when I brought it up to his in-home therapist! He was agreeing with a big smile saying how he hadn't hit, kicked, shoved, etc...

I'm guessing it is a combination of things-the "Stop the World" crisis plan and his increase in his Lamictal. I don't know how long it will last because he often still seems on edge but for now it is nice.

Also I'm not sure how long it will last because next week at his psychiatrist appointment we are going to have to discuss his medications because he is still having a lot of trouble with people understanding his speech. I'm pretty sure it is medication related and we want to try and get that under control before school starts.

He is also getting a tad better with his swearing (right now he gets a chore every time he swears). He argues the point but ends up doing the chore. As he is only getting a tad better I'm getting lots done around the house!

We are also working on his constant disrespect-not getting very far. Oh well, baby steps, baby steps...

klmno

Way To Go, Sharon & difficult child!!! I found the raging had to go first. Once it was gone, we were able to start working on the other issues- still thru a combination of medications, technique, etc. Anyway, raging still comes back sometimes but it sure is nice to get a stretch of time when it isn't there!!

Enjoy the peace, keep bragging on him! When difficult child was at this point, we worked out a "plan" for him to earn money (I wouldn't designate a weekly allowance for several reasons). Anyway, it seemed to help.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
awesome news! Progress is to be praised, I can relate about the language and disrespect, but the control over the physical violence is a huge step!

klmno

And a second thought- it was at this point when CPS (The Explosive Child techniques) were very helpful- I tweaked them for difficult child's age and our personalities, but the concept of engaging him in identifying "the problem" and discussing better solutions has gone a LONG way.

house of cards

I am so happy for all of you, it is awfully nice when you can see the kid you know is in there and actually parent them without the major hissy fits. Huge progress.

B

bran155

Congrats to you and difficult child!!! It is always nice to actually see progress. 9 days is a long time to a difficult child, shoot, an hour can be a long time to our kids!! So good for you guys.

Keeping my fingers crossed for 9 more days. :)

TerryJ2

Nine days is great, Sharon!

I like the idea of a chore ea time he swears.

We're working on the disrespect, too. I think a chore for every bad name difficult child says is a great idea ! (Dork is his fave.)

Thanks!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! This makes day 10 and I am really surprised because he was in a really tired, grouch mood because of a very long day at day camp-they went to Milwaukee to see the Brewers play. Yet he never even tried to get violent as agitated as he was.

I really appreciate everyone's support!