A bicontinental vent or How Belgium Has Declared War on a US Citizen...

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Sorry if this posts twice, I got bumped off (ventus interruptus...)

Well, my entire life has consisted of attempting to be invisible and staying out of trouble, away from the courts and lawyers (sorry, Nancy...). We have had to hire an attorney to get difficult child 2 out of trouble (not happening again). My mother's "vulture friend" cost us mucho bucks when she got mom to change her will the day before her death. My lawsuit lasted 6 years. husband suffered through a frivolous malpractice suit. I assumed "Phew! That's the end of that, no more legal problems!".

In typical Theater of the Absurd fashion caused by my dysfunctional parents, I have been contacted by a Belgian lawyer. I had a 1/2 sister whom I barely knew. She married a woman she met on the internet. Same sex marriages are legal in Belgium. Six months into her new marital bliss she died in her sleep.She was the one with all the funds. She was only 41 y.o. In this country this sudden death would be a red flag. The Belgian authorities decided that she passed due to natural causes and did not perform an autopsy.

Now her government wants me to fork over multiple thousands of dollars to take over her estate and the responsibilities of her house. By law her spouse will live there free and clear until her own death. WTH??? I am being threatened with accumulating fines if I don't reject the inheritance in a formal way, which involves hiring a US lawyer who is familiar with foreign estate matters. MORE MONEY WASTED in these hard economic times.

I just want to know how the heck I can be sitting at home, clipping coupons to save my family money, minding my own business and manage to have trouble come and find me. I wasn't even mentioned in her will, it is purely a question of blood relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My first question to the lawyer would be:

What would happen if I simply ignore them? I mean, c'mon, they're in Belgium and you're in the US........what can they really do to you?

Cuz if they honestly can't do anything to you........I'd simply ignore it and pay the lawyer's consult fee.

That's outragious!!

Trouble always seems to find me too. I don't think I fly under the radar low enough.

Hugs

Fran

Former desparate mom
How frustrating. I have no idea what to do but I can imagine that it is a nightmare for you.

TerryJ2

Why doesn't the state take the house?
Why doesn't her spouse pay her own way? What kind of a law is that?
Not US law, for sure. Thank doG.
Best of luck.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
What a bunch of hoeey! I cannot believe that an int'l lawsuit would occur & that you may have to support a half sister in law.

I don't know, sweetie. I don't think there's much legality to this but would certainly consult an int'l law attorney & then charge that same consult back to the estate as you have not inheirited anything from this estate. If you are the executrext (sp?) of the estate you need to be paid to handle everything.

I'm here, my spouse has died & I'm responsible for all that has gone on while he was alive. Why would it be any different in Belgium? GEEEEZ.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
3S I just had a stray thought..........now I don't know how you were notified about this.........but what if it's just a scam??

I'm having a hard time believing that the state over there expects you to foot bills for the estate ect, but half sister's spouse gets to live in the house for free until her death. I know some european countries can have some mighty strange laws.......but that one just doesn't make any sense at all. Whoever come up with it shot themselves in their own foot, so to speak. It just doesn't ring as True. Know what I mean??

Sort of like those emails I get sometimes that tell me some long lost relative of mine has died in some country somewhere and left me a ton of money..........

Just a thought. But a good international lawyer ought to be able to spot a scam pretty fast.

Hugs

TerryJ2

Good point, Lisa.

Three Shadows, look up the name on the letterhead online and see if there really is such an atty.

donna723

I would be very careful too! I'm a little confused though. Are they saying that YOU are the one to inherit this money but that you have to pay out a bunch of money to put in a claim on it? I would be highly suspicious if that's the case. That sounds like a scam.

I can't believe that the laws in Belgium would be that much different than they are here. It's not like it's a Third World country or anything. If she and the spouse were legally married and the marriage was recognized as being legal there, why wouldn't the spouse inherit whatever she had? Doesn't sound right at all!

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm with Linda....if she was legally married then why do YOU have to do all of this? Same sex or not, it is considered a legal marriage...why would blood relatives come before a spouse???

Course, then again, I'm also leery of the scam aspect also. If the link Terry gave you doesn't pan out, I'm sure you can find something online or maybe call the consulate there. They should know SOMETHING about the laws.