A brief comment about Menopause

nerfherder

I want my ovaries taken out, run through a blender and fed to a nest of baby vultures with a turkey baster.

That is all.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Well... You're miserable, but you made me laugh! :wink:

I've never heard quite such a description. I can imagine exactly... So vivid!

nerfherder

Oh, it's bad today. I'm eating sugar free chocolates to help my gut keep moving - even with all the plant stuff I eat, it's just like that right now; the brain fog is driving me insane because I keep misplacing the list of things I have to do today/this week/soon, Kiddo keeps sabotaging this morning's chores by rooting around in the orchard for rotting apples to eat (food obsession) and she's home on "Spring Break," and I just want to curl up under my desk and sleep because insomnia, yo. I had TWO lovely, glorious months with no mental hormonal activity at all, but I think the soy oil in the nondairy creamer is tweaking me - I started using that a week or so before I started feeling my boobs get sore. And I have to figure out something to put in coffee for those times I don't want plain black coffee (which I usually prefer) but... oh man I could keep whining, but I have to go clean someone's house. And check on Kiddo.

buddy

I am struggling on and off too. I'll tell you thus much. I have auto immune stuff once thought to be fibromyalgia but then diagnosis. Scleroderma (but I'm lucky it is limited)....

I stopped all caffeine. Every once in a while I eat chocolate or a drink with out and i go right back to sore breasts and general muscle pain again.

When i don't have any, i have no breast pain or lumps, low level cramps instead of intense....and general pain I'd nearly gone.

And darn, I loved Coke. But life is do much better that i went from needing narcotic pain medications to only needing a small dose of Ultram.

It could be worth a try.

(at Christmas I ate some cookies with chocolate....reminded myself why i sacrificed my Coke)

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I've had the same sentiment myself just based on cramps and bleeding. Had it yesterday in fact.

BusynMember

Paroxatene is often given for menopausal symptoms. I lucked out and had already been on it for fifteen years. I never had one hot flash. I never got nervous or crabby (and I spent my pre-Paroxatene life nervous and crabby). My only symptoms were I did get hot (but not in flashes) and my period got erratic then stopped. I really feel badly for those who have such a hard time. It sounds TERRIBLE and I'm sorry you are having a bad time, but you did make me laugh long and hard :) Menopause clearly kept your sense of humor intact :)

nerfherder

Thank you everyone. :)

Buddy - I drink a maintenance dose of caffiene daily (2 to 4 cups) to help keep asthma under control. Also I love coffee. :) I've given it up periodically for detox or simply curiousity reasons (what happens if I don't drink coffee?) but generally it's not one of the things that affects me. And chocolate - well, maybe someday I'll get tired of it. It does contribute to my occasional insomnia so I try to keep it down to daytime dosages. I rarely binge these days, mostly I just don't have time. :)

I also rarely had any menstrual drama. Never trouble with hideous cramps, did have some moodiness and found I needed to watch what I ate overall. I found when I dropped the 50 lbs it adjusted my hormone levels so I had even fewer problems than before.

Mom never had anything happen at all, just had her periods stop one day and that was it. Her sister though, my aunt? She was known for doing things like going after my dad with a rolling pin. For real. Unfortunately I lean more towards the Psycho Aunt end of the perimenopausal mood spectrum. Ah well, that's why we have punching bags and baseball bats around here. :)

DammitJanet

Dang....so maybe I have another excuse. menopause. I had hysterectomy in 04 but they left my ovaries so I have no clue if I am in menopause or not.

InsaneCdn

Yer younger than me, Janet... but not by THAT much.
And yes. It's the ovaries that cause all the "problems", not the other parts!

<stupid hormones... we go through all that koi as teenagers as we ramp UP, and then through all this koi now as we ramp DOWN>