A diagnosis made a bit to quickly....phew/whew

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Had a mtg with neuropsychologist yesterday afternoon ~ the psychiatrist made the diagnosis of dementia secondary to encephalitis a bit too quickly.

neuropsychologist doctor told me that she is diagnosis'g:

rule out cognitive disorder not otherwise specified
rule out major depressive disorder
rule out PTSD

There is the ongoing cerebral vasculitis that is playing a role ~ we just don't know to what extent.

I'm so glad neuropsychologist doctor will be speaking to psychiatrist to get the dementia off the record. That diagnosis can likely play into being reported to driver's licensing bureau, child protection, etc, etc, etc. neuropsychologist doctor wants this off my chart.

This also gives me room to breath - to feel some hope that there can/may be some improvement in my cognitive/memory skills. I have a working treatment plan for the next year to include PT, Occupational Therapist (OT) & in home nursing to help organize my medications & ordering my medications (I often forget).

Phew/whew - that dementia thing was a harsh thing to accept. I'll accept it if need be but the testing proves otherwise.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
YES!!!

And Linda if I can get most of mine back I'm sure you can get at least quite a bit of yours back especially with the help of an Occupational Therapist (OT) and PT. Much much better news and so glad it's going to be of the chart.:D

klmno

Wow- that is great news and I can only imagine how relieved you must feel! I'm glad to hear that neuropsychologist is going to talk directly to the dr, too.

svengandhi

Why don't you speak to your doctor about some Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) training? Even though you haven't had a traditional Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), the concepts behind the cognitive therapy might be helpful for your situation. It's basically a mental system of retraining the brain to use unaffected portions to replace and/or supplement those portions which are no longer functioning fully or properly.

Good luck.

Jena

i'm relieved for you also. that is a hard nut to swallow. when i read your first post about it i said to myself oh no. im so glad that they took the time to look into it further to realize they were wrong!!!

Good news Linda. It's amazing and scary that those three diagnoses you listed can present as dementia. I can see many of the symptoms of the three diagnosis in myself. I wasn't like this before all the trauma we've been through.

I'm doing the Lumosity program for neurocognitive training (not recommending). It's fun. Shows me where I lose focus. The PTSD -- haven't exactly figured out what to do about that yet.

You will come far working with these three diagnosis. Take control of your brain again after having big chunks scooped out of it due to stress. You're a survivor. It's beautiful but also very hard to be a survivor.

Hugs to the Queen of Hearts.

Jo

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
It's a serious relief - I knew you'd all understand that. Things will "out" over the next year of rehab & therapy; then I'll take the neuropsychologist once again.

Just having my new dogs (Lennie to be my service dog) has helped me tremendously. I'm actually leaving the house with-o fear or anxiety. He's a dog in training. I'm learning to focus on one thing at a time ~ my doctor's were impressed I got this going so quickly.

Wow a service dog. I got the chills when I read that. This will be true healing for you, and a true friendship. We're finally in the big leagues here -- something big enough to begin to heal all those broken places in your heart.

I love you Lennie!

Who is the other dog?

Jo

Last edited:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Jo, Lightening is for kt ~ she's attending school from home now. L breaks up her day; she will also be joining a dog agility club & be able to work him in competitions.

Lennie ~ service dog in training ~ has in just a little over a week helped me become more confident to leave the house; attend to business that needs to be taken care of & he's the sweetest most attentive (to me) dog I've ever owned. I've taken Lennie to see my neuro doctor & the neuropsychiatrist last week. They are both thrilled with Lennie

We are both using our dogs for healing it seems.

Lothlorien

Perhaps the other dog can be a therapeutic dog for Kt as well. If you get them both into a good dog obedience trainer, the possibilities are definitely positive!