A fight I really didn't expect at church

Marguerite

Liahona, I'm sorry you have experienced this. Sadly, it is far more common than it should be. It does sound to me like you know where this has come from (the preacher) and you don't expect much joy there.

It is sad, but this happens in churches. I won't single out churches, but they are places where we expect compassion, from policy/teachings/whatever. This happens in other social groups too.

We experienced this too. I remember when I was a child (I grew up in the church, very much) and I tried to do what we were taught to do and help the less fortunate. There was a family whose father used to drink and gamble every night, he left his two girls in his truck until late at night, parked in the street outside the club. At first the older girl used to bully me but I made friends with her and invited both girls to our church choir. Only the older girl came and it was difficult for her, I now realise, with undoubtedly objections from her parents (the club in those days was closed on Sundays). In choir we wore robes (quick throw-over things) which hid her lack of decent dress. She was one of us, or at least looked the part. And she loved to sing. But older members of the congregation came and spoke to me, told me I was walking into moral danger if I associated with this girl. After only two weeks, the girl told me she would not be back because she did not feel welcome. I know the choir mistress was not the problem, I was there and could witness everything said and done. I suspect now that someone went up to my friend (probably in the street) and told her to stay away from me. And from church.

Sadly, people at church, despite what church is supposed to be about, are just the same as people not at church. In other words people everywhere will be self-serving, lack compassion, are untrained and lacking any understanding in the health professions especially mental health. Some churches (our current one included) do not have a trained pastor but are instead run by a collective. An untrained pastor can make devastating mistakes.

At our church yesterday a visiting preacher (I would like to know more about him; very charismatic, but I got an uncomfortable 'vibe') spoke (somewhat randomly) and mentioned in passing, Matthew Ch 18 vs 15. "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over." The preacher commented that because our church has been going for nearly 50 years now, we're obviously really good with this one. I had to bite my tongue - we have lost good people form our church because the elected church elders fouled up BIG time here. To their credit, the church elders brought in some conflict resolution people who did a series of workshops with us (on Matt 18:15, among other verses) but the damage done was never undone. We've just done better, since.

At various times in our church, children have been welcomed, or not. At one time there was pressure on those of us with young (and often very active) children to keep them quiet and still. One friend gave us an ultimatum - we needed to have the kids in Sunday School with a Sunday School roster, or she would have to remove her family because she was being made to feel unwelcome at church. I had myself hear various church members say things like, "At church when we pray, I do not like other noises to intrude on my communication with God." That one made me really angry - as if distraction is ever a valid excuse for not keeping your mind on God. How distracted is God? And how damaging is it, when such people feel that their spiritual needs are paramount and anybody else's needs which might conflict with their own very rigid requirements can be simply dismissed as unimportant?

Our church is small; when the children were old enough, it disbanded for lack of numbers.

When difficult child 3 was born, he was my fourth. Sunday School was about to begin (thanks to the pressure from congregation members who wanted a kid-free zone - notably, single childless women). Although we had a 'cry room' up the back with sound piped in from the service, I simply sat up the back with my kids and put a few quiet toys and books on the floor. Right up the back nobody should be able to see if I breastfed the baby. In our church, we do this and nobody objects. Of course it can be done under a blanket or in other visually discreet ways. My problem with difficult child 3, however, was that he was a noisy feeder! I produced enough milk for an orphanage and especially if the service suddenly went quiet while the baby was feeding, you could hear the gulps, gurgles and slurps. I could hear quiet chuckles from other mothers and grandmothers. They were okay with it but I was aware it was a distraction. I tried to keep difficult child 3's feeding to louder times in the service.

When difficult child 3 was older and talking loudly, or fussing in other ways, I marched him out the back. I scolded him, I spanked him, I tried to use this strong aversion method to teach him that you DO. NOT. MAKE. NOISE. IN. CHURCH. It did not work. Now we know why - he just did not understand, and he was not capable of being quiet. Perhaps partly as a result of this, he tends to avoid coming to church with us. He has a hard time following the content of the church service which is another reason. He certainly would have had a hard time with yesterday's preacher!

We also had problems at church with other congregation members who had their own strong ideas on parenting. You will know this kind of tactic from family and friends, I am sure. I'm talking about the sort of people who will try to explain to you, lovingly, how you could be a more effective parent. When you try to explain in return that your child has a medical diagnosis which makes the usual parenting methods a challenge and often ineffective, they seem to accept this but as soon as your back is turned, they try their own methods out on your kids. The belief is, I think, that they can then present you with a miraculously compliant child and smilingly accept your undying gratitude.

Our church is very much like a family. And you know what that means - a blend of people each with their own agenda. They love other family members but have their own issues too.
A close friend of mine (and sadly, one of those who left due to misapplication of Matt. 18:15) witnessed what she described as abuse directed at difficult child 1 when he was about 8 years old. difficult child 1 was looking at the overhead projector lens. This stands on a low table and is used to display songsheets on the screen. After the service it was off, of course. difficult child 1 was peering through the big lens on top, trying to see what it did. A church member (male, authoritarian) told him to leave it alone. difficult child 1 apparently ignored him. Of course, we knew that to stop difficult child 1 the only way to do it was to get his attention with a touch on his shoulder then give simple instructions. Also we had to let him follow his curiosity so he would then feel able to move on to something else.
This man yelled at difficult child 1 again. Again no response. So he strode forward and grabbed difficult child 1 and dragged him away. My friend witnessed this and immediately intervened. She is a domestic violence survivor and particularly hates seeing adult males bullying younger or more vulnerable people. I recall at the time of this incident (which I did not know about for a few years) this man was also very critical of me and my kids. He and his family have since left our church - his attempts to control were not working here, because this is a consensus community church and not one that works with a single dominant personality trying to be in control.

There were times in our church, especially in the early days of our involvement, when I nearly walked away because I felt I was being excluded or disapproved of, primarily because of the kids. But this is also a dynamic church and it has to change and adapt to the people who attend. We are more informal - I posted in the morning thread yesterday that it was so cold at yesterday's service that we lit the log fire and huddled around it. We have members who bring their dogs to church. Any dog likely to be disruptive has to go outside but one dog (owners are church elders) is very well behaved and often sits under our altar table (or beside the fire!). Sometimes this dog will quietly get up and wander through the congregation, allowing himself to be given a few quiet pats. He seems to know who to go to, who needs to feel loved a little more. His owner will signal him back if he feels the dog is a distraction; he's got him trained with hand signals.

A church needs to be loving and flexible. Too often they are not, because a church is primarily formed by the people who attend and especially those who are in control. I am not talking about the officials; I am talking about those individuals whose opinions tend to set the mood of the place. Such as the woman at our church who wanted absolute quiet during prayer time (she used to complain about neighbours mowing their lawns during prayer time!)

Having children in a church of mostly intolerant adults is very difficult. But your children will not always be children, it will pass. Moving to another church is not generally an option - we had moved from one church to our current one (it was very difficult to do this because I was not welcomed initially by some strong-willed people). Always remember, your faith and your church are not the same thing.

Do not expect the practical help you need to come from anyone at the church. It is possible that the pastor will actively discourage anybody from helping you, because he may be like my former fellow church member (yes, she eventually left too) who wanted absolute quiet during prayer and nearly drove off every family with young children from the church community. From the pastor's point of view, orating to an audience who are able to focus totally on him, is clearly preferable to having people shuffle, fidget and be distracted by a kid up the back whispering loudly (or shouting) "But I want it now!"

If you get practical help from the church members, consider it a bonus. Any help you ever get from anybody, pay it back to them. Do something kind for them and for other people.

I wish you lived closer so I could invite you to our church. Better yet, I wish I could invite this woman and your pastor to visit our church. It is often described as an eye-opener (as distinct from an eye-waterer!).

Because of the communal nature of our church, I am sometimes in the position of having to manage the church service from out the front, with all the distractions and issues of individual congregation members being a random factor. I do understand that some more inflexible individuals trying to do this job with their own fixed ideas needing to be expressed, can do a lot of harm to the will of the people present. I have learned to be flexible and to let things happen sometimes. We do get visitors or new people with small children and we have to constantly reassure them that the kids are welcome; that it's okay, we understand about a little noise. Maybe remove noisy kids to the back room at prayer time, but even that is optional.

How else can kids learn about faith?

Liahona, these things happen. Church is not perfect. But this can be resolved.

I think the classic WWJD? is the way to move forward with this. But remember Matt. 18:15 and keep it confidential until it gets to the stage where you have already tried the individual approach without success. Then Matt. 18:16-17 comes into play.

Marg

DDD

I'm guessing that her difficult child does not know that he has been targeted. That would be ideal. DDD

Marguerite

DDD, that would be ideal (for difficult child to not know he has been targeted) but he will know, sooner or later, because if she obeys the injunction either the family doesn't go to church, or the child does not. Eventually the child will want to know why. Or will draw his own conclusions. NOT healthy.

What can start out apparently so simply from the point of view of the congregation member of the pastor, can rapidly snowball to the point where the church becomes the perpetrator of something nasty, and not necessarily what the congregation would accept.

Andy

I have been so frustrated for many many years with how the congregation at my church treats children. I took on the role of Sunday School superintendent to play the advocate to the kids and try to make church a place that they felt comfortable with. The last straw was a few years ago when the congregation shut down their day school. The School Board members had been treated like dirt for several years and with hurt feelings all around, the church called in a "mediator" in hopes to calm the emotions of the school board members who had just received a beating for doing their job to keep the school open. The sole purpose of the "mediator" was to "help" the school board members "forgive" the congregation for their actions of destroying the school. I had had enough so I wrote a very long letter to the "mediator" describing how I saw all the children in the church and school being disrespected and the congregation doing their best to keep the kids out of sight. I used scriptures to back up many of my feelings.

I gave it to the mediator on his last visit to the congregation. He took it with him back to his home and work. Within days, he called me. He told me that his work was done and wanted my permission to share the letter with my pastor. He felt there was a lot of things within it that my pastor needed to know. I found the strength to say "yes" and my letter was given to my pastor.

My pastor called me and we had a very long talk. The letter was an eye opener to him and he asked to use the contents (without my name) with the elders. Of course, I agreed. I have noticed a change in the congregation. I don't know if it was the bible study the "mediator" conducted on Sunday mornings (I could not attend as I was teaching the kids during the adult bible study time), or that because I finally "broke" that the burden was lifted from my shoulders, or because pastor is using the info I wrote to try to change life for the kids - maybe it is a combination of all?

That conversation with the pastor was hard. He asked me why I had brought this forward at this time. He was very greatful for the information.

I hope you have the same results. Stand in your beliefs - you will do fine.

Marguerite

Andy, that was a brave thing to do. I remember the problems you had back then and I felt for you, after what we had been through.

Perhaps that is why our expectations for behaviour standards at church are so high. We hope to see a greater standard, a more genuine show of agape. And too often it falls short, because we forget tat we are all fallible. Including ourselves.

That preacher yesterday that I mentioned, spent a fair bit of time talking about the need for city walls to protect residents from the invaders outside. His focus was on keeping out the bad elements, on "the evil" etc. But (and I resignedly decided to not challenge him; he was a visitor, after all) what about the evil within? We are all fallible, selfish individuals wanting to advance our own agendas and promote our own families. As Christians (or frankly as any spiritual people of any religion, including none) we have to constantly be internally vigilant to ensure we do not allow our own selfishness to triumph over what we need to do for our fellow human beings.

Sometimes it is possible to bring about positive change.

Marg

L

Liahona

My mom pointed out I could go at a different time 9 am instead of the 1 pm time. (Same doctrine, same building, different pastors) The pastors for the different times are so close I don't expect a different attitude. (I'm expecting my pastor to talk to the other pastor.) husband doesn't leave for work until 1 pm so he could go and help watch difficult child 1. Which time and building we go to is determined by where we live and going to a different one is discouraged. This is one of those things better to ask forgiveness than permission. And I'm sure they'll tell me I shouldn't. I might need to go to the man in charge of the pastors again. In January they switch times (trying to be fair) so we'll be right back with the yucky pastor in January. At least I'll have another adult to help (husband).

Andy, now I know why you wrote such a great letter. You've been through worse.

Marg, I think you are right. Eventually he will know. He was asking today why we weren't going. I got away with not answering because he was distracted by the game cube. This way I can blame us going to a different time because of husband's work. And I don't have to worry about the other two leaders targeting him further. I will keep it confidential. I know I could destroy this congregation with this and I don't want to. Besides creating a lot of heart ache to others it would be the undoing of my sanity. My ability to function is fragile right now and about the only thing holding it together is the doctrine of this church. I am still going to send the letter. My calling the man over him was probably an eye opener. He was appalled by what the preacher had told me. I'm thinking Mat. 18: 16 - 17 won't be necessary.

Susie, you are right. There are adults there that could've helped me. Now, I don't think the preacher will let them. If they try difficult child 1 will again be asked to not attend. difficult child 1's behavior isn't so bad that other adults couldn't handle it. At church he acts good.

Keista, the only bad thing about changing times is that in a way I feel that I have backed down from the fight. I hate that! There are two subjects I'm willing to fight for; my kids and my church. This touches on both. I think I will contact the international leader. I know this is so against church policy.

thank-you, you guys are more family to me than anyone else. My church could use the forum as a template of how to get such diverse group of people to all feel included.

Marguerite

Liahona, despite the problems I described, our church has had some difficult people in the past. If possible, it is a church designed to help difficult children. At least, it was in its early days. And we still get some people coming along who have a lot of problems. It takes a lot of effort sometimes to love them as we should. And because other people have their own history (like my friend with the former abusive husband) it colours their behaviour.

The funny thing for us now - it was knowledge and understanding of difficult child 3 (eventually) that led one of the longest-term congregation members here, to get himself diagnosed Aspie. Last year, at the age of 60. He now seeks us out and talks to us, he knows we will accept him and understand. He has found his own niche in our church, his own functions and cannot cope if it deviates from this too much. But he now understands this about himself. Yesterday's service was, ironically, challenging for him because the assigned service leader had forgotten and instead gone to the airport. So we were ad-libbing (and I think it worked well) and our Aspie friend was struggling with the apparent anarchy of it. Snuggling around the fireplace (some of the ladies fetched blankets and snuggled under those on the sofa) added to the relaxed feel.

difficult child 3 stayed home as usual. Not because he feels excluded, but because he has difficulty understanding what it is all about. But we have other church functions, dinners, picnics, etc. Always have lunch after church, always coffee and tea. Saturday night there was a memorial service (we should have known about it but somehow the news missed us) for the grandson of a church member who was taken by a shark on the other side of the country. They lit tea lights and floated them out to sea for him. I collected up some of the tea lights that were also lit on the sea wall and I will use them in the next annual candle I make.

Wherever, whoever and however you worship, it needs to be done with love and compassion. Flexibility is good too. But the funny thing seems to be - the more flexible your church is, the more difficult children you attract! And the better you get as a group, in helping them.

Marg

DDD

Great that your difficult child isn't aware. Perhaps with the new schedule there will be no need for him ever to know. Early perceptions of acceptance really can provide a base of strength for the future. Hugs. DDD

Cheerwyn

Liahona, I'm sorry that a place that should be a support and sanctuary to you is being so unhelpful. I hope you can work it out.

As others have said, it is truly sad and astonishing that the church is not being more supportive. One of my firends has an 8 year-old with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) who is a real handful. She went to several churches before she found one that was accepting of him and even try to incorporate him in activiites and services. The funny thing is that it's one of the older, smaller churches in our town. Not one of the fancy megachurches with a huge congregation. This is more of a country church, one of the more conservative denominations, and they could not have been more welcoming to my friend and her family.

TerryJ2

Liahona, I am so sorry about your church experience. I agree with-everyone here ... you are taking a very dignified approach.

Does your church have an online chat group? Or an online classifieds section where people buy, sell, look for babysitters, etc? That is one way to get around the preacher's hardheadedness.

That's the only idea I have to offer, except to say stay strong, steady, and determined. Many hugs.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I may have missed this so forgive me if I did but....

Do you know for SURE that the dragon lady....erm.....Women's Leader actually spoke with the pastor? Or did she make an executive decision on her own in the name of the church? I wouldn't put it past someone like her to give herself more authority than she actually has.

If it were me....I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be handling this as civily as you are. I"m afraid I would have to share with my church friends or even innocently mention the conversaion and ask for help during the announcements or prayer requests. Ohh!!!!! Prayer requests!!!

"I have a request. I would greatly appreciate prayer for strength and wisdom in dealing with my child's behavior and the apparent lack of responsible adults within the congregation who would be able to help which is resulting in my family being asked to not attend church." or maybe even "Prayer for guidence in finding another church as DL has informed me that my child and therefore my family are not welcome at this one."

Not only is the DL insulting you and your family, but come to think of it, she's insulting all of the adults at your church seeing as how none of them are the least bit responsible.

I would have a very hard time NOT calling this, for lack of a better and censor approved word, "person" out and doing it quite publicly.

I hope things work out....church is not supposed to be this way.

L

Liahona

Yes, unfortunately, I am sure it comes from the preacher.

But, good news. I talked to the autism specialist about it. The one that comes to my house once a month. She said that my church has someone that comes around to the different congregations to help them with mental health issues. I forget what title she called it, but they work with the county mental health and the pastor and the leaders in the church and me. I think they all get together in a mtg. to try to help the mentally ill person (in our case family). In a big meeting like that with the need to save face in front of others I think the preacher will be more accommodating. I guess the people in charge at the higher levels saw a need for this in more congregations than just mine. What they are doing is really against the church doctrine and policy.

I will try this before changing times. If this works then the preacher will get an education, so will dragon lady (I like that name). And, I'll get the help I need at church.

Thank-you, I know I'm not alone in this. I have you guys. (Sorry if that sounds cheesy, I do mean it.)