A first for Minnesota...

T

TeDo

Went out for a drive this afternoon. Keep in mind that Minnesota is usually a frozen, snow-covered tundra by the second week in January with temps dipping below 0 a lot of the time.

I had to do a double-take when I saw a farmer tilling is field! The second week in January...

Who'd a thunk it?!?

Malika

I fear it's called global warming...
Please do not be offended by this probably offensive comment, TeDo, but I was trying to think of something I know about Minnesota and I cannot think of a single thing... I am sure you would say the same about my little corner of France :)

H

HaoZi

I'm enjoying it while it lasts, I hear we're expecting snow again in a few days. Blarg.

T

TeDo

I haven't heard about snow coming our way but they did say that Wed temps are supposed to be "normal", highs in the lower 20's and lows in the single digits with wind (meaning below 0 windchills). Believe me, I HAVE been enjoying every bit of this brown but I thought the farmer working his field was a little over the top for this area.

H

HaoZi

"chance of snow" is enough to cause me panic, I was raised way down south.

buddy

LOL Malika.... when I lived in England... Here is what EVERYONE thought about MN..... (my state too you know) Did you ever watch "Little House on the Prarie" ??? They thought it was still like that. And since it was the 80's the other thing everyone thought was that if I didn't live in a little house with no running water, then I must live in a mansion like on DALLAS and DYNASTY (remember those shows??)

St. Paul is the capitol and it is right next to Minneapolis... (they are called the Twin Cities) Minneapolis is called the "Mini apple" like a little NY but though a big city it is not an enormous city compared to many in the US, but we have lots of famous folks from here. AND OF COURSE ... as Q will tell you... WE have the LARGEST MALL IN THE UNITED STATES... lol... Now, there is something to brag about. HAHA

Malika

No, Buddy, Insane Cdn lives in the Little House on the Prairie :)
Thanks for filling me in... yes, St Paul, of course and Minneapolis... And the largest mall in the States... maybe I'll get to see it one day. :)

witzend

I have a friend in Walnut Grove. I never even made the connection. She's probably glad I didn't say something like "Oh, like Little House on the Prairie! How Cute!"

buddy

LOL they filmed in CA of course... I remember one episode when Laura ran into the mountains... Only thing is... We dont have mountains in MN!

T

TeDo

Walnut Grove is actually home to one of my family's favorite camping areas. It has a small little man-made lake they named Lake Laura that is fed by the Plum Creek.

Malika

LOL they filmed in CA of course... I remember one episode when Laura ran into the mountains... Only thing is... We dont have mountains in MN!

That is terrible... poor Laura Ingalls Wilder must have been turning in her grave. :)

S

Signorina

*Waves to MN from WI (Go Pack GO ;-p)

Rec'd an update from my township that the GOLF COURSES are open for limited play and that winter rules apply...

Who would have thought it????

Heading to the Mississippi valley and then to MN to look at schools with- easy child 1 on Feb 17 - I predict a major snowstorm just in time to complicate our road trip...Murphy's law and all.

My kids are disappointed with the lack of snow days and snow boarding/tubing opportunity... but I am thrilled not to be shoveling the driveway or sweeping off the car!

T

TeDo

I'm with you Signorina!! My shovels haven't even been brought up from the garage yet!! The boys are upset that the sleds and snowboards haven't been either but....oh well.....I DON'T CARE!!!

donna723

There's a lot of that going around!

My brother was stationed in England when he was in the Air Force and while he was there he met and married an English girl. When his enlistment was up, they planned to return to the States - Orlando, Florida to be exact! Her parents were frantic when they heard she would be living in Florida! They were thoroughly convinced that Florida was all one big wild dangerous swamp, that if the alligators didn't get her, the snakes would! And this was several years after Disney World had opened in Orlando!

buddy

Weather is saying right now 33 at teh start.... TeDo you guys still get a couple of degrees warmer than us... but still high 40's and low 50's... just crazy times for MN. Fri may have a low of 4 but by Sat they said back up..... to a little above, 20.

T

TeDo

I know Buddy. We haven't been below 40 during the day since around Thanksgiving. Last week, we had 50's and 60's ALL WEEK. No wonder the farmer thought he'd better get it done. I think even HE realized his days are numbered. Everyone else scrambled to have it done by Halloween in preparation for our typical winters. The guy didn't even have a jacket on. It was just so out of the norm that I had to do a double-take to make sure it was real and not a mirage!! LOL

Wiped Out

Staff member
We've had the same great weather!!!

Signorina-I'm in Madison but grew up in Green Bay-about 5 blocks from Lambeau Field-GO PACK!!