A game of Wii gone bad

Wiped Out

Staff member
husband, easy child/difficult child and difficult child were playing Wii. I've been on the computer in the living room where they are playing. When they started out they were all having fun. After a bit thought difficult child and easy child/difficult child who both like to control things started heating up over the remote and who chooses what game and who goes first and ...

easy child/difficult child antagonizes difficult child and he does the same to her only she doesn't know when to stop (even when we are telling her) and difficult child doesn't know when to stop. Soon they are screaming at each other and difficult child is swearing at easy child/difficult child, she continues to antagonize, he picks up a water bottle and throws it at her head-thankfully it missed.

Just another fun night of family togetherness...

J

joneshockey

Sounds like the wii should be unplugged and put away for awhile. That what I have to do at our house when B1 & B2 can't play nice together! It teachs them a pretty good lesson because THEN they have to earn it back by showing that they can get along with- each other over a period of a few days :D.

tiredmommy

Ugh. It makes you wonder what they get out of this bitterness toward each other. I hope the rest of the evening is peaceful.

M

ML

Sibling rivalry is no small matter among difficult children that's for sure. I hope things have settled down... Hugs.

crazymama30

yep, we have had many scenes like that at our house, and 2 new holes in easy child's door from difficult child. Gotta love those family moments. NOT.

I hope they can chill out for awhile. I hate the fighting over nothing.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
:talkhand:Geez, Sharon, all I can say is ick. I hate this scenario. Makes you wonder what you were thinking when children came to mind, doesn't it?

Sorry, me bad.
:bigsmile:

Hi Sharon,

Your story reminds me of a time I was at Lake Michigan when the boys were younger. They started throwing sand at each other. I said "Don't throw sand." My mom companion said they were just being boys, and boys throw sand. OK, I thought. Go ahead. So they threw sand until each was coated and neither could see, and they were both screaming (raging) at each other on the beach. I said to my mom friend "See what I mean? Don't throw sand."

"Don't throw sand" has become a metaphor in our family for the impulsivity that sometimes appears out of nowhere between our kids and turns a fun time into a surreal nightmare. I always say that too -- "another fun family night."

Sending empathy. The next Wii game will be better. But don't throw sand. xxooo

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! Last night easy child and difficult child were back to getting along (a bit)-they were playing stare down (who will blink first loses). Those nights just wear me right out when they argue like they do. Sometimes I wish I had corks for both of their mouths-jk! And... I promise not to throw sand!

TerryJ2

Argh! Sounds familiar!

When the kids were little, I was given some good advice by a babysitter: don't put the kids in time out. Put the item in time out. So one day when they were fighting, I took away the object and placed it on top of the fridge. "It's in time out," I told them. They immediately joined forces and wanted me to give it back to them. Too funny!
(I did not give in.)
I did it once a cpl yrs ago when easy child was in high school and difficult child was in 4th gr. They thought I was completely nuts (I thought it was amusing). This time they did not join forces, but they both turned their backs on me and went their separate ways. Hey, it still worked ...