A good kind of job for a difficult child

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Especially if they are like mine who could sell ice to Eskimo's, and swampland in Florida.

A while ago someone gave him a car with a blown engine. He rebuilt it via Craigs list and chat rooms for Honda's getting parts here and there - each part he took off and replaced he turned around and sold, which financed the next part. I had no idea there was such an underground market for auto parts

SO had a 72 Dodge Dart that has been sitting in the driveway - he was restoring it but his health sort of put an end to that. So I suggested he let Dan sell it - anything over his price of 1,500 Dan got to keep. Took two weeks and he found a buyer.

Someone gave SO a camera lens that has been sitting here gathering dust. Its for a camera he doesn't even own, and the lens has never been used - in fact, it was given to SO with the receipt from Fedco showing that someone paid 149.00 for it 20 years ago. Gave it to Danny, and voila, he sold it for 75.00 - guy is comming today to pick it up LOL. More parts for his new car and some of it going to Mom for the cell phone :)

So we are going thru the house pulling out stuff we don't use, and letting him sell on Craigs list. Neither SO or I have the time or patience to do it. I have had two garage sales, and couldn't sell the Sega Genesis system from years ago - he sold it and the three games for 70.00 in no time flat

He is really good at selling "stuff" and has always liked to wheel and deal so we suggested he start his own little business of selling other peoples "stuff".. Make up business cards and pass them out saying for a percentage he will do the work and get it sold.

He is never going to be doing the 9 to 5 thing thats for sure.

Marcie

klmno

That sounds like a great idea! I'm glad he found his niche- and can pursue two talents with the car rebuilding and selling- and to top it off, it sounds like he enjoys it and takes pride in it.

Way to go, difficult child!!

donna723

He sounds like very resourceful guy! Is he good with cars and mechanical things?

My son is 27 and has a very good job but has all kinds of things going on the side. He lives and breathes "cars". He's got three different people on a waiting list to put racing engines together for them if he ever gets the time. Are there any police auctions anywhere near you? My son and a friend went to one and paid $150 for an old junker car - would have been less but a "friend" was bidding against them as a joke. They stripped it of everything of value (ask me where I got the CD player in my car!) and sold it, even the windshield and the tires. Then they took what was left to a salvage place and sold it as scrap metal for $350!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Donna, SO and I are just blown away by this car that Danny fixed - considering he has never owned a car and other than changing brakes or spark plugs on his dads after watching SO do it once, that was the extent of his knowledge. He not only took out the old engine and put the new one in, he did the same with the transmission and changed it from an automatic to a 5 speed. We just shook our heads the day we came home from work and he had a little welding thing in his hand and the entire computer of the car apart on the dining room table with a sheet of schematics - I asked him what he was doing, and he said changing the computer so it knows the car is no longer an automatic. SO who is handy with cars said he wouldn't have even attempted something like that, and as for me, it wouldn't even have occurred to me that you would have to do something like that in the first place.

It took him months to do this, a lot of months - and its a good thing he has a touch of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) cause I have no clue how many hours surfing he did to get this done. I offered to pay for him to go to mechanics school, and in typical difficult child fashion, said no way - I am NOT going to be a mechanic - they don't make any money. It is obvious from his statement he has never owned a car where he had to take it to the local service station. LOL

Marcie

Fran

Former desparate mom
Gotta go with his strengths.
The husband of my sister's sister in law is serious difficult child and ADHD. He buys and sells on E Bay and makes his living with it. It's not consistent and it's got no benefits but he supports himself, wife and child. The difficult child part makes it difficult for him to keep records or keep to some sort of structure but he loves it. He couldn't work 9 to 5 either.
Maybe this is what Danny is good at.