a hard blow to recover from

so my dad (difficult child gpa) died unexpectedly; he was like a father to difficult child since he never had one. difficult child had been doing quite a bit better, attending school again (expulsion over), hadn't been caught with pot in awhile although he was smoking cigarette butts he found on the ground, he seemed to be adjusting well to my my new husband and then this. he was hysterical at the hospital; numb the next day when we told him he didn't make it and since then we have found liquor bottles under the bed, we're not sure where he got them....this could really send him back down farther than he ever was before...

Calamity Jane

I'm so sorry for your loss, 9. That is awful for you both, and the grief process is different for everyone. I agree about counseling, though, if your son would be receptive. Many hugs.

DDD

Please accept my sympathies for your loss. I understand your concerns as my husband and I have been parents to two of our grandsons...and my husband is the only Dad the boys have known. They are older and are as prepared as they can be as our age and health issues are acknowledged. on the other hand I very vividly and sadly recall the pain and fear we experienced with teen alcohol, weed, and juvie. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. Truly I have repeated the Serenity Prayer daily for over ten years in order to keep my sanity. To me it is a comfort to "accept the things I can not change" while changing what I can and trying to "know the difference". Best of luck to you. DDD

lovemysons

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad.
I too, lost my grandmother at about age 13 and it sent me spiraling.

Can you perhaps take difficult child to the Dr's and see if he might need an antidepressant?
The drinking alone in his room makes me think that he needs psychiatric help as well as some therapy.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.
Hugs,
LMS
ps...okay, I did just see that he is taking Lexapro. I took that and it made my Bipolar rapid-cycle out of control. I don't know if your son has ever been dxd with Bipolar Disorder but Lexapro could be dangerous, in my humble opinion.