A life lesson for PCA

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
kt's weekend PCA is studying to become a child psychiatrist. Currently in premed.

Over the weekend kt went into somewhat of a crisis mode. As kt was doing her "thing" PCA & I were standing watch over her. I asked PCA amidst all this chaos, "now if a parent came in & asked you about this what would you do?"

PCA thought for a minute & replied "I'd tell a parent that some times these things are hard".

I looked PCA straight in the eye & told her "I'd fire your :censored2: in a heartbeat. No parent is going to accept that out of you".

Our in home help are all junior/senior college students - going into psychology, psychiatry or social work. I always let them know that when they walk in our door they've hit the trenches. This is reality - not the idealism of the classroom.

As PCA left, she told me that she would remember our conversation, along with our ER visit for psychiatric reasons. It's all eye opening to her.

tiredmommy

As PCA left, she told me that she would remember our conversation, along with our ER visit for psychiatric reasons. It's all eye opening to her.
I hope she does. Parents of difficult children don't need to be pandered to or be treated in a condescending way. They need concrete strategies to improve their child's likely outcome.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Linda

Our in home help are all junior/senior college students - going into psychology, psychiatry or social work.

I think the tweedles are impacting many more lives than you will ever know. :smile:

Sheila

tee hee hee, tee hee hee

You mean the answer can't be found in a text book? When child does x, y works perfectly? :rofl:

Reality bites! :cool:

"Sometimes these things are hard" -- that's the best she could come up with? I'm appalled. I admire you for attempting to mentor these people. I honestly think all service jobs are a calling, just like the ministry. You have it or you don't, but there isn't any screening process for predetermining who actually has the gift for this sort of work. Some will find out being in the trenches, as you say. Wishing you all the best. Prayers and much love....

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Good for you and good for her. Maybe there will be another shrink in the world who knows one of these days.