A little literary fun!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, my quote was from "Reading Lolita In Tehran". I know, I'm waay behind on contemporary books. Hey, at least I'm reading!

muttmeister

Mine was from Dr. Dolittle; I have a shelf of Newberry Award winners next to my computer. The Dr. Dolittle series was my favorite when I was a kid.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Mine was Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows. Nichole has begun reading it and it happened to be the closest book to me at the time. (although I've read them all myself)

Marguerite

My quote was from Dawn French's "Dear Fatty".

I suspect husband's was from Colleen McCollough's Last Man in Rome series.

Now here is another one, from the book beside my bed that I'm currently reading.

"Nanny had warned her about it but, even so, it was unnerving to turn up at Granny's cottage and find her stretched out on the floor as stiff as a stick and holding, in fingers that were almost blue, a card with the words: I ATE'NT DEAD.*"

Readers of this author should instantly know the reference!

Readers who don't know this author should hopefully have their curiousity whetted.

Marg

Yes, this quote has a footnote. No, I'm not putting it in here (unless requested by overwhelminng numbers).

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Mine was from the ONLY book I have at work, called Deceptions, by Michael Weaver.

I've been reading it for about six months and am less than half through. It's seriously boring. I'm a voracious reader - and a speed reader - so that says it all.

Colleen McCullough? AWESOME writer! I read The Thorn Birds years ago and got hooked. I have several books by her awaiting my reading at home - just got them from the used bookstore.

Marg's Man

I suspect husband's was from Colleen McCollough's Last Man in Rome series.
Marg cheated! She knows I'm reading McCollough's Masters of Rome series right now. Still I kept to the rules and it was the book closest to me, the book is Caesar's Women, fourth in a series of seven or eight books srt in Rome from about 100 BC to about 45 BC.

For those who know their history; the first starts with the rise of Gaius Marius and traces the lives (the back stories if you like) of the great men of Rome through the downfall of Republican Rome and finishing up with Octavian adopting the name of Caesar Augustus. Historically it only moderately accurate but is good enough that I learned enough to be able to ask the right questions.

The series is McCollough at her very considerable best. Thorn Birds (while still very, very good) is a comic book by comparison.

Just as well I didn't get this challenge during my lunch break at work or you would have got something like this...
"Labelling experiments have subsequently supported the postulates that the aristocholic acids are biogenetically related to aporphine alkaloids and the nitro and carboxyl groups are metabolic relics of the hetero ring of the aporphine system. Strictly, this is the fourth, not the fifth sentence but there's only four sentences on the page!

Can anyone guess what I'm reading here?

Marg's Man

mstang67chic

Going Green
Just as well I didn't get this challenge during my lunch break at work or you would have got something like this...
"Labelling experiments have subsequently supported the postulates that the aristocholic acids are biogenetically related to aporphine alkaloids and the nitro and carboxyl groups are metabolic relics of the hetero ring of the aporphine system. Strictly, this is the fourth, not the fifth sentence but there's only four sentences on the page!

Can anyone guess what I'm reading here?

Marg's Man

Ummmm.......Greek?

Marg's Man

Marg's Man are you reading something on Chemisty perhaps??

Right on!

It's the PhD thesis of one of 'my' students on chemicals derived from plants.

I followed the rules but, by luck, it is still one of the more intelligible passages to the layman. Later chapters get into the fine detail of the compounds' molecular structure and new techniques for measuring these properties.

Marg's Man

svengandhi

"Nice concept, good poem, bad omen."

Note that this is the large print version of the book I am reading and the regular print obviously has a different page 56.

svengandhi

Janet -

I enjoyed Obsession and I like both Jonathan and Faye Kellerman's books. I actually have Jonathan's "Bones" here for when I finish the book I quoted from. Ooh, read that over and it sounds bad. I have JK's BOOK "Bones" here!

Sven

LittleDudesMom

I think Wendy is reading a textbook?

Here's mine:

"Surely there'd be a less dramatic, and simpler, way to arrange his dissapearance."

Sharon