A little update

Dara

Hi all. Just wanted to give an update. We just started a new school about 3 weeks ago. It is a school for kiddos with high functioning autism and it was the best decision we ever made. They taught Sammy to write his name on the fourth day... He is happy, he is having fun, he is learning life skills and he is learning how to play and everyone in the class has food issues so lunch time is not a battle! We might be living in a cardboard box after all is said and done but it is so worth it so see him succeeding! We are still having testing done at the SD on december 16th just to get him in the system and see where he is exactly. We are really struggling with health insurance as we dont have any which is a problem obviously. We cant get the rest of Sammys tests done and husband has multiple sclerosis and my asthma is out of control so...
Our other big issue is Sammys behavior at home. He is still extremely defiant with me and flies into rages and gets violent with me. We are looking for help with this but seeing as we have no insurance and are low on fundage at the moment I dont know how we are going to do this one too! Any suggestions on the behavioral front? I hope all is well with everyone and that you all had a great halloween and have a great turkey day next week! Just wanted to give a little update...

S

Sharon74

If you have no insurance then you should be able to get you child onto some sort of state insurance program. It is usually called something like CHIP (Children's health insurance program) but it may have a different name where you are. I have family in TX so I could check if necessary. Even if you and your husband don't qualify your children usually do. Mental Health services are most likely covered and possibly 100%

Dara

We did apply for CHIP and are waiting to hear if we have been accepted or not and we have a meeting with Social Security for disability for Sammy next week. We do not qualify for medicaid or medicare unfortunately...

S

Sharon74

Hopefully the wait to find out if Sammy is accepted onto CHIP won't be too long. He will probably be accepted as the government does not like to leave children without health insurance. Too bad they don't feel the same way about the parents that have to care for the children. I do wish you the best of luck. I actually know all too well what you are going through.

Marguerite

It does sound like a great placement. I'm glad you were able to find it for him.

As for behaviour - check out Early Childhood foru and look for the discussion there on how to adapt "Explosive Child" to younger children. It was stickied, last time I looked.

Good to hear from you!

Marg