A new label - ADOS

Marguerite

We jut finished our latest series of "Dancing With The Stars" last night. It was interesting - one contestant has been blind since birth.

But the bloke who won (a C&W singer) described himself as having ADOS - "Attention Deficit - Oooh, Shiny!"

Just thought you'd like a new label...

Marg

Fran

Former desparate mom
easy child jokingly tells us about ADHD then in the middle of the sentence he says "let's go ride bikes". It emphasizes the way their brain switches channels in the middle of the conversation with no correlation to the topic at hand.
Now we say "let's go ride bikes" whenever one of us switches topics. It is a positive way to reinforce that we need to stay on topic.

graceupongrace

Now we say "let's go ride bikes" whenever one of us switches topics. It is a positive way to reinforce that we need to stay on topic.

Fran, I love the way families develop their own "insider" language for communicating. :D

I actually had heard that line as the punchline to a joke:

How many ADHD kids does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Hey, let's go ride bikes!

Having a kid with ADHD entitles me to laugh at that one. Doh! ;)

mstang67chic

Going Green
How many ADHD kids does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Hey, let's go ride bikes!

Having a kid with ADHD entitles me to laugh at that one. Doh! ;)

I have that flair on my facebook! LOL

I love that term though Marg! Threeshadows is right....that guy (bloke) needs to patent it! LOL

Somehow I wound up with a bunch of stickers with various sayings on them. difficult child went through them and picked out the ones he liked. There were actually a couple that had similar sayings on them and one or two that had something to do with shiny object. Those were the ones he picked and are still on his door. LOL I keep telling him I'm going to get him a shirt I saw once that says: People say that I have ADD but I ....Oh look! A chicken!

Hmmm....maybe I should send that to the GCV household! LOL

DammitJanet

My boys had a few tee shirts in their teen years. Jamie had one that said "I like shiny objects" and Cory had one that said psychiatric Ward with some numbers under it. I wish we still had that psychiatric ward shirt. It had orange letters and he stole a pair of orange jail pants. With the combo he would look like an escapee for Halloween!

Marguerite

mother in law gave difficult child 1 a t-shirt for Christmas a few years ago, that says, "I have absolutely no idea what is going on." In big, white letters on a black shirt. It's currrently his favourite.

I've seen some of the other shirts described. I was also browsing t-shirts online last night trying to jog my memory about a really funny one I'd seen (I found it, but not relevant here, takes too much explaining).

We like the nerd shirts too. Sometimes I just have to do my own.

The other favourite label of our kids is, "I don't have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), I have CDO. That ay the letters are where they should be, in their correct alphabetical order!"

Marg

mstang67chic

Going Green
Cory had one that said psychiatric Ward with some numbers under it. I wish we still had that psychiatric ward shirt. It had orange letters and he stole a pair of orange jail pants. With the combo he would look like an escapee for Halloween!

When I worked at the body shop, one of the insurance people I dealt with did something similar for Halloween. Actually, her entire department did! LOL They all got orange sweatshirts that said psychiatric WARD with the numbers but above it wrote E-e-e-e-rie because they worked for Erie Insurance. Some of them wore pj pants or really bizarre clothing. The lady I knew put her hair in pigtails and did her makeup slightly "off", wore pj pants, slippers and a robe. If I remember right, the department supervisor wore the same shirt but had a doctor's white coat over it.