TerryJ2

difficult child had his birthday party yesterday. We went to a laser place and there were 10 boys. They rough housed a bit, but nothing out of the ordinary. I made a special pizza for difficult child but he didn't eat at all while the other kids ate their pizzas. He did eat some cake, though. Oh well.
I let him open his gifts as they came in, instead of waiting until a prescribed time. It actually seemed to go more smoothly that way, and the kids all paid attention, one by one. (Shades of The Explosive Child. Box C.:) )
They came out of the game all sweaty and happy, and compared their printed-out scores.
We drove home with-one friend, and difficult child's bmom, bgrandmother, and half brother. They had a boatload of gifts, and difficult child opened them all at home. He prefered it that way. They gave him an expensive pr of basketball shoes, fleece sports hoodies and matching pants, and a "real" football. He was a happy camper! They also had a trunkload of clothes, and this yr, brought him out to the truck to choose what he wanted, instead of just dropping off a bunch of clothes. He was very, very picky. It was actually pretty funny. I have to say he chose well. And they didn't buy any baggy sag pants, which was a good thing.
difficult child, his friend, and half brother played football for a few min. in the yard. They had a great time.
While they played, bmom sat in the truck, and bgrandmother asked if they should keep driving up for this ... it seemed a bit awkward. I said it was partly the age ... difficult child isn't into hugging and kissing any more, and barely gave his bmom a passing glance. But I said if they didn't come, he'd miss them. If they do come, he's a bit embarrassed. It's a tough call. I told her I would ask him, with-o being too obvious. That's my task for the wk. ;)

Anyway, I have to say, this is the best birthday we've ever had with-difficult child. I personally hated the loud music and the laser employees were disorganized, but in regard to difficult child specifically, it was PERFECT!!!!! Woo hoo!

We go out for sushi Wed. night. That's the end of the celebration.

Jena

Aw that's great, i'm so glad he enjoyed it and you did as well. It sounds like it was a perfect day for him!!

P.S. I love laser tag, lol. :)

I"m glad and happy Belated birthday to him as well!!! :):woohoo:

Andy

What a fun day. Maybe he can write a thank you note, "Dear bmom and mgrandma, thank you for the wonderful gifts. Thank you also for being patient with me as I picked out the clothes. That was fun finding just the right ones. Thank you for spending my special day with me."

TerryJ2

Thank you.
Yes, the thank you note writing begins tomorrow, b4 he can play on the computer. :)
The chances of him writing more than 2 sentences, Andy, are very slim, LOL!

Fran

Former desparate mom
You have come a looooooong way baby!
You arranged things in a way to make this day successful. Don't kid yourself. This perfect day required a lot of education, trial and error to make it this way.

susiestar

Roll With It
Sounds like you planned everything perfectly!!! I am so glad that the party went well, with no problems!!

I think it is AWESOME that bmom and gmom came up, and do every year. And that they are letting him make choices inclothing, etc....

If they don't come he will really miss them. If they are uncomfortable, maybe have a get-together with them at a different time?

You are a really awesome mom, Terry. The adoptive moms I know can't stand the idea of the birthmom being around at all. I know it has to mean so much to gft(even if he won't say it) to have them visit sometimes.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well Happy Belated birthday difficult child! So which day is his actual birthday? My difficult child 2's is the 9th! :D

Laser tag is a lot of fun for kids that age. I played it for the first time at difficult child 1's birthday a few months ago and had a great time myself!

Sounds like the day went very well. It was nice of his bfamily to come up, but I can see how it can start to be awkward at his age. I think it's very thoughtful and good that you defer to difficult child's feelings about things like that.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm so glad that difficult child had such a wonderful party; that everything turned out well. There's a bit of maturity peeking out maybe....just a bit.:D

Not to sound whiny ~ how do you guys accomplish this? We've yet to have what you would call a successful tweedle birthday event. Don't even try anymore ~ just a quiet day amidst family. I'll be looking for hints, ladies.

TerryJ2

There's a bit of maturity peeking out maybe....just a bit.

Yes, this is a big part of it.

How did we do it? ... hmm ...
We kept it to 10 people or less.
We tried out the place earlier by going to other parties. (Dry runs are essential.)
We did not have him open any family presents.
We allowed him to open gifts as the kids came in.
We made sure he had his Adderal and Clonidine b4. (Very important.)
We made sure he got lots of sleep the night b4.

But mostly, it is a bit of maturity peeking out. :)