A project that brings tears and joy

Abbey

Spork Queen
I some how took on the project of scanning every piece of photography that exists in my house. I mean EVERY photo. My intent was to give this as a DVD to family and friends....I didn't realize what I took on as a job. :smile:

I am a good 2000 pictures in, and have 4 more albums to go through. Mind you, this is the day after Christmas, so I guess I'm a little late.

What it did do, though, was bring up a lot of memories...happy and sad. Just when you think life is a :censored2: shoot, you see all these things that you have done in the past. It was a great experience. Now...if I could finish the project.

Abbey

Lothlorien

I made a dvd recently for husband's folks. I scanned several hundred pictures. It was a task. The one good thing was that I had a scanner that recognized several pictures at once and saved them, so I could scan 6 to 8 pictures at once and it would recognize each photo. If it didn't, it allowed you to make them individual pics.

It's a wonderful gift. I used software by Roxio. It lets you put music to the dvd also. If you want to know what I used, let me know and I'll pm you.

mum2JK&TH

I would love to do this. Before my grandmother passed away she had me go through all of her pictures and seperate them by family. She had 1000's but I enjoyed every minute of it. She passed on the love of photos to me and I have so many photos it is frightening. I have to say that digital has made life much easier, but Abbey I would love to do what you are doing with my hard copies.

I started but the having to scan each photo at a time took the fun out of it for me.
Any ideas would be great. I am glad you've enjoyed going down memory lane :smile:

Abbey

Spork Queen
As I'm scanning right now...geez, this has been a job!! :smile:

But, in the end I hope everyone will appreciate it. I've got it down to an art where I can scan 5 photos at a time, so that makes it a lot quicker.

This does bring back a lot of pleasant memories. I also scanned all the special cards that husband and kids sent me over the years.

I only have 2 albums left! Then, I have to figure out how to organize them reasonably.

Abbey

susiestar

Roll With It
Another idea, for those of you who have recipe boxes full of handwritten recipes is to scan them and then print them out in a recipe book. When I was 15 my maternal gma gave me her box of recipes. She retired when my gpa did, so she refused to cook. (she had always hated cooking, though she was very good at it.)

One year I was really broke so I copied all her recipes and printed them out and bound them. They were a huge hit, just as the photos will be.

Susie

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Abbey,

husband has been doing this with family photos for a while now. It started with "saving" kt & wm's life books. The tweedles were intent on destroying them each time they came out.

husband, instead, created a tweedle family book with baby pictures of the kids, of husband & myself. He included pictures of his childhood & mine, along with kt & wm's with pictures out of their life books.

It's been a godsend to say the least. While the life book contained a real crappy history for kt & wm we were not going to destroy this document of their life. That will be up to them to decide as adults. However, we've replaced it with something more loving - more permanent. And my tweedles love it.

Keep up the work - it's hard but worth it.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I just leave my scanner on and everytime I walk by scan another set. The OLD ones are tough, though, as they have stuck to the photo book. Trying not to tear them.

I'm scanning now my oldests book. Wow...I can't believe I made all his clothes! I couldn't sew a button on now.

Abbey

busywend

Oh Abbey! I wish I knew. Eastman Kodak has a 'scan van' that is traveling the country. They have a few high speed scanners and they can scan 200 pics in about 5 minutes. They send them up to the Kodak Gallery and can also make a CD for you.

It was recently in the area and I scanned almost 1,000 pics!

Star*

call 911........call 911
ABBEY -

THAT IS SO AWESOME -

QUestion - Can you lay all yours on the bed of the scanner and then have it pick out individual pics? Did I get that right? I'm starting to do this now too - for my Mom's birthday in September and for difficult child Christmas next year.

OMG MUST find SCAN VAN - It wouldn't be able to leave for a month.

I have an HP scanner that I can scan HUGE things and small things on. It's a reverse picture up see through glass scanner. It's great for arranging for memory pages as I can lay them face up, rearrange to suit me - and then scan.

It works great for large plans too. Then it stitches them together.

I'd be sunk without it.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, the Scan Van would have been great, but I don't think I'd be organized enough for that!!

My scanner can hold roughly 5 photos at a time and I can scan them individually. What has been really nice is that I can go back to really old ones and touch up the color and resolution. They look SOOO much better than the original.

I'm on my last album!! :salute:

Abbey