A request from difficult child....

busywend

Self awareness is a powerful thing. Trying himself without medications will help that cause. He has to be vigilant in his self awareness - always - but especially when he is trying the no medications route. Even if he feels he is not able to focus enough or feels like he is starting to wonder if he needs medications, do you have any tools that he can try to help himself bring focus? I think that is the key to going without medications. The ability to find a way to handle it on his own. I would get him thinking about ways to obtain focus if he feels he is struggling before he starts school.

Good luck difficult child!!!

DammitJanet

Sharon, physical activity really helped Jamie bring his focus up. Jamie ran a mile every morning before school. Got those morning wiggles out. That meant he was more able to calmly sit in class for awhile. Then he had his JROTC class about mid-day which had some physical activity most days.

If your difficult child is thinking about either military or police as a career, Jamie would be thrilled to talk to him. If he would like you could run him up to see Jamie one day and have Jamie show him what he does and Im sure Jamie could get one of his buddies to take him over to Quantico to have a look see. I dont know if he still has any friends in the right part but they may be able to get him in to see Marine One. It is almost always flying training exercises.

LittleDudesMom

Wendy, great idea about discussing a "redirect" ploy for him before school starts next week. I'll sit down and talk with him this afternoon and see what ideas he can come up with.

Janet, that would be awesome! Unfortunately, difficult child does not have a "running" bug, but perhaps he and I could start taking a walk with the dog after dinner at night. Maybe that would be a start. Isn't Jamie and "animal cop"? difficult child loves those programs on the animal planet! My uncle told me difficult child would love the new Marine museum - think it's right up there near Quantico. I keep saying I'm going to take him up there. Seeing Marine One would be a thrill! I'll be in touch as the school year progresses to see how this military academy idea goes....

Sharon

klmno

Sharon, at least one police force in central VA has a program for adolescent/teen boys that might be worth calling to get info about. I'm not sure of the details or if it's for "at-risk" youth but I read that the cop(s) spends some time with the boy and takes him around in a police car. I've met a couple of cops on another force around here, maybe the one in your jurisdictiopn, and they are nice enough to do something on their own to help a kid or giving him a "brief" about being a policeman. It might be worth a call.

TerryJ2

Sorry I'm late to this. You've gotten some great responses.
I have to admit, I got a good chuckle out of the way difficult child caught you off-guard about paying attenion.
I like the response (can't find it now) where the person asked if he would be willing to go on a lower dosage if this trial run doesn't work. It's good to have a backup plan, and a different backup plan, at that.

DammitJanet

Sharon, yes, Jamie is an Animal Cop...lol. The Marine Museum is right up at Quantico. Jamie was still on duty up there when they were building it and rode around in golf carts "playing" around when he was supposed to be working...lol. Quantico is a very open base, except where the Presidents helicopter is housed, so you can explore all over the base. Jamie knows a bunch of people still in though so he may be able to get difficult child in to see the helicopters. They have quite a few retired but famous ones there. Nixons, JFK's, and a few others. On pretty days you see the current ones flying training flights all day long. Its awesome to watch.

Oh, if he is at all interested at all in anything military, check out a program called Young Marines. Wonderful Program. I cannot say enough about it. No you dont have to go into the military after it and it isnt a feeding ground into the Marines but it is a world of fun for kids and it is good training on respect and self confidence.

Animal Cophttp://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n156/jscl117/July2007002.jpg

M

ML

I say give it a go and just make sure you both agree to the terms of the experiment and what will signify it's time to go back to plan a. Good luck! I hope he manages it.