A request

Steely

I posted on general about a form of therapy/philosophy called CEDU. It used to be a cult (synanon) in the 70s, than transitioned to CEDU schools in the 80s, 90s, & in 2005 has stopped existing and morphed into something, not named, but still used by all of the 18+ schools I have looked at (because they are all owned by the same company which I also did not know.)

I know some of you do not always read on general - but yet if any of you know anything about this I wanted to get your input.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Fran

Former desparate mom
My son attended the program from 13yrs old and 15yrs old.
Cult?
It sure wasn't a cult when we attended. Expensive- yes but cult-no.

It was the single one reason difficult child stopped spiraling down emotionally. It was a hard, hard program but they taught him a great many ways to think and reason.

It was bought after difficult child finished. They ran into some personnal problems and staff being physical. I didn't even think the program still existed. I'll have to look them up.

Steely

Do you mind private emailing me the name Fran?
I am trying to put together research about this, so that I can get this all sorted and clear in my head.
Thanks for the info.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I will. He attended the program near Big Bear in Calif.
I will say that we tried to have him attend the post high school program in Idaho to help him transition but my difficult child didn't have enough independent living skills from my opinion to make that a success. If we were going to sink the rest of his college fund into a program we wanted him to have a better chance at success.

Based on our experience, we did not find difficult child abused. He wasn't brain washed and the psychiatrist who followed him for his medications was very positive towards us in what we had done so far.

I am heartsick that things got scary in a program that I saw as positive,after difficult child left.
I sat in the back of the room during the group "Last light". The whole group(maybe 100) kids under 18 sat while the staff talked of their goals and days happening. Residents would stand up totally on their own and talk about seeing one of their peers doing something right or making a good choice. It really was a humbling experience to see these kids trying to do good things for each other. They also mentioned those who were "struggling". It was not a humiliating time for those who were in attendence. It happened morning and night every day. It offered them a way to start and end their day on a positive, contemplative note.

I felt that difficult child had the option to call CPS at any time as a safety valve. I asked him frequently how he was treated and whether he had been hurt. difficult child doesn't really have the ability to lie.

I know that no one else wanted him in terms of day school in my area.
As I said, I don't know anything about the program from when it shut it's doors so I can't speak of how the current program is run.

Steely

I guess I am trying to figure out what the truth is. There are positive and negative things about CEDU. The term CEDU is no longer in existence, which says something. There have been so many legal battles, that that term and those schools have been completely shut down and re-opened under new names. But I also know what you are saying about kids standing up and talking about their peers and supporting them, I have seen that with this program difficult child is in.

I am just in need of the truth. Can anyone shed some light?