a suggestion for folks with pilfering kiddos

nerfherder

Heya.

Turns out the local Dollar Store sells these door/window opening screamers. I bought one a couple weeks ago, and now have it mounted inside my desk drawer - with a baby monitor transmitter hiding behind my computer. It doesn't say what it is, so now when I'm in the main house I can hear if she starts going through my desk drawer. I may pick up a few more over time, mount in the other drawer/cabinet spaces she's known to rummage through.

When mounting it, be aware to mount it on the INSIDE of whatever you want to attach notification to. Otherwise they can just slide the switch to "off." It's got that annoying high pitched sine-wave siren sound.

L

Liahona

That is a great idea. I wonder if they come in different tones so I'd be able to tell which drawer he is opening.

buddy

That's what I used when q was little and leaving the house. I told him they called the police, LOL.
They're cheap.

There's also a larger kind you can put on bedroom doors that require a code to turn on/ off. Still fairly inexpensive and they can't turn them off. I got them at some regular big box store or big hardware store and used those on my doors to outside. They can't switch those off,smile. (Q believed those called the cops too.)

The child locks that use a magnet to open them work for him even now because it takes the powerful magnet that comes with it to unlock the lock. I put that on my knife drawer and one kitchen cabinet and it doesn't alter the cabinet outside. It doesn't open part way like those typical child caninet locks that any preschooler can open! They'd have to break the door /drawer to open it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sure could've used these once upon a time. Now it's a non issue.

Janet I was thinking the same thing about Buckaroo. LOL

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I want one for the sugar canister... Seriously. Actually it's too bad I didn't think of this when Onyxx was at the height of food thievery...

buddy

Put the canister in one locked plus alarmed food cabinet. That's what I do. One cabinet has the granola bars and chocolate sauce types of.things when i have them......that he will eat all of if left out.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Buddy... Our dog has an electric fence... If PETA hasn't shut the Invisible Fence company down yet I can't see why we can't use those on teenagers!

DammitJanet

I always wanted to put one of those 10 by 8 foot chain link dog kennels inside Cory's bedroom. That was just a tad smaller than his actual room dimensions when we lived in the single wide. It had a door on it. I wanted to be able to lock him in there at night or whenever he was grounded. It was frowned upon. Now Im not entirely sure why. The state can lock up my kid but Im not allowed to do it to keep him safe from sneaking out of the house and getting into more legal trouble. Now how does that make good sense? I wouldnt have left him in there when we werent home.

Im just kidding though the thought was there.