A Triumph

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It may not be huge in the vast scheme of life.....But it's a triumph, none the less. :D

Travis who is as adverse to talking on the phone as sleeping in a bed full of spiders........Actually still managed to get an eye appointment!! No, he didn't talk on the phone. lol He went out to the vision center at walmart and got an eye exam. But hey, since I've been on him for months....I'll take what I can get. lol

And for the encore......he took the prescription directly to Krogers, remembered to keep the original for me, and should be receiving his check in the mail to pay for the glasses very shortly. :D :D :D

Wowsers. Looks like krogers is following thru. It's their employees Helping Hands program.....so if you get a chance to buy something that helps this program (I think right now they're selling a cookbook) we'd appreciate it if you would. Sort of a payback for them helping Travis.

And because I got the original script......I may be able to go to another organization to get him a free spare pair. (you won't believe how fast he goes thru them)

And I've opened the discussion of the blind school in cincy. We're talking. A triumph because before he'd say he could see just fine and doesn't need help from anyone. Still don't know if I'll be able to get him to go or anything.......but babysteps are better than no steps.:D

Yea!

everywoman

Daisy, I'm so glad that Travis followed through and that Kroger did what they said they would do. Hopefully he will at least check out the school and see what they can offer him. I know that you want to help him be as independent as possible, and that might be a good opportunity.

Jena

I think that's great, from going to the appointment to being responsible for dropping it off and remembering to keep the original script.

Baby steps is all we have, dont' be silly. Each step counts and is a huge accomplishment.

the blind school? So, this is first I've heard of it I am sorry you must of written in another thread about it. So, you think that would be benefiical for him at this point? What's his vision?

meowbunny

Honey, if these are baby steps, what's a leap? For Travis to do all of this on his own is HUGE. It's the beginning of independence. You should be so proud of him. As to blind school, I think being without glasses may have been the biggest blessing in disguise there could be. Let's hope he goes for it and realizes it is not a giving up but a growing up and learning to deal with this.

Way To Go Travis!!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
One step for mankind (the Kroger program) ONE HUGE LEAP for Travis .

YEah - it's nice when a nag pays off - better than a trifecta at a track.

skeeter

Lisa - I've not been on here a lot lately (work is heck!!) but if you come to visit Clovernook please let me know and I"ll try to meet up with you. It's just 2 miles away from my house.

susiestar

Roll With It
Wow, skeeter, I didn't know you lived near Clovernook!! I grew up near there and then lived nearby for another 7 years as an adult, right before I joined this group!

Lisa, WOW!! I am so PROUD that Travis made such HUGE steps!! Getting the eye exam is NOT a baby step - CALLING to make an appointment would have been a baby step, in my humble opinion! That is a GIANT step! And he got a written scrip so you can get the glasses also?? And so you can get Kroger's to cover the cost? WOW!!!

It just may be that being with-o his glasses opened up his mind a bit toward the School for the Blind in Cincy. I am glad, whatever made him a bit more receptive to the idea. They probably could help him with adaptations AND maybe grants/scholarships/jobs also.

My parents get back to Cincy every year or three, and I have LOTS of relatives who shop at various Kroger's in/around Cincy. I iwll mention the Hands program and supporting it - I know that when my mom goes back east next year I will suggest it. I MISS krogers. Our grocery stores STINK! (Not literally, just in prices and selection and house brand quality.)