A very good Saturday morning.....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Good morning friends,

I'm up & alert & functional this morning. It feels good to feel less confused - I'm ready to start painting any minute now. The hmj is brewed & in a carafe, it's snowing & blowing outside. kt is at respite & I'm not driving anywhere today.

Yesterday was an awful day full of phone calls that I didn't want to handle, getting kt ready for respite & dealing with an in home therapist whom I generally like a great deal. Not yesterday. I was happy to see everyone walk out the door, turn off the phones & fall asleep very early.

I'm hoping to finish or tear up this painting I'm working on - I chomping at the bit to start my new endeavor. My brain is getting just too far ahead of my physical coordination.

Hope you have a warm, cozy day. That your difficult children are cooperative & someone cooks dinner for you tonight.

Marguerite

G'day for Saturday.

Linda, I hope you have a productive day with your painting. It sounds like perfect weather for shutting yourself indoors and imagining a different place and time.

We had a lovely summer day today. At last we got to the beach! Of course, it was the middle of the day and we've had too many cool days and not enough sun exposure, so we couldn't stay out in it for too long. The water was a bit chill but bracing. It was still the best place to be on a sizzling hot day. Earlier in the day difficult child 3 & I went to a friend's garage sale and she had some candles on the table - they were melting into a puddle! Yes, it was THAT hot!

About an hour after we got to the beach a cooler wind sprang up which took the worst sting out of the day. Once we got home we were able to open up the blinds and windows at last, because at last the air outside was cooler than the air inside.

Tonight I can feel a gentle glow from the sun, not enough for sunburn but definitely enough to colour up for a bit of solar self-defence. I need to go put some oil on difficult child 3's back to make sure he isn't burnt either.

Tomorrow will be cooler, we're going to 'kidnap' mother in law for a movie marathon at our place while I do some Christmas cooking.

The AFI Awards are on TV in few minutes. One of the year's films nominated for a lot of awards is "The Black Balloon". Fingers crossed! It's the first awards show that difficult child 3 is even mildly interested in - every award that film has won has been like a personal victory for difficult child 3 as well. It's winning a lot of critical acclaim, I just wish you guys in the US could get to see it.

Enjoy your Saturday, I hope it's not too cold where you are. I'll enjoy the summer for you!

Marg

SRL

A day spent alone inside a toasty house with a carafe of coffee sounds heavenly, Linda. Only we know what you really have to deal with surrounding that!

Marg, I'm chuckling reading the description of your day because it's sure frigid here! Warm beaches, indeed!

This is Nutcracker ballet weekend for my daughter so it's utterly crazy around here. It's the first time she's done it and she's had such a fun time. Not just on stage but behind the scenes in a "real" dressing room at the university. It's been a royal pain getting her to all the rehearsals and running around for everything needed but seeing all the happy smiles this weekend has made it worthwhile.

I haven't even started Christmas. That will have to go on next week's list!

Have a great day, ladies! Oh, and I'm all for Linda's "Hope someone cooks for you tonight" sentiment.

Marguerite

Update on the AFI (Australian Film Industry) Awards -
it's going to air as I type this. So far, "The Black Balloon" has won -

Best Supporting Actress in a Feature Film (Toni Collette)

Best Supporting Actor in a Feature Film (Luke Ford, as the profoundly autistic brother; you can see Luke in "Mummy III" as the now-adult Alex)

Best Original Screenplay (writer/director Elissa Down and Jimmy the Exploder).

It's also up for best music and best film. I think there's another one - I recall there were more than five nominations.

difficult child 3 has just gone to bed, so we'll have to tell him any more good results in the morning.

We're just blown away by all this - a feature film dealing with autism, a film that involved three of our kids (one in a speaking role) and husband, a topic close to our hearts - and it's doing brilliantly.

Yahoo!

Marg

trinityroyal

Good morning everyone!

Linda--glad to hear that you have a calm and peaceful day ahead of you. Hope you're able to finish your painting, and enjoy every minute of your relaxation.

Marg--I too am marvelling at being at the beach this close to Christmas. Hot enough to melt candles in the sun? Gosh! That's hot. Enjoy the awards, and hope the Black Balloon does well. We might be able to get it here in some of the art film cinemas. I've been keeping my eye out but no luck so far.

SRL--how exciting for your daughter to be in the Nutcracker ballet.

I am sitting here at my desk contemplating the THREE GIANT BINDERS full of material I need to review before I start my new job on Monday. I'm a bit terrified by the sheer volume of information, but I am so excited I was dancing around the house. I danced through washing the dishes, folding the laundry and watching TV. Couldn't sit still.

husband: "Trinity, you're dancing at me again."
Trinity (busting a move for all she's worth) "Yes, darling."
ADHD plus years and years of dance classes equals girl who becomes a dancin' fool at the slightest excitement.

I had the opportunity for a long chat on the phone with one of my new co-workers yesterday afternoon. He's in the same role that I'm taking on, and he was talking to me about what to expect, how things have been going so far with the project, etc.

My primary location is close to home, in an office where I've worked before. My secondary location is also an office where I've worked before, but it's downtown. Still accessible by transit though. And I know lots of people who work for this organization.

Y'know, one of the things I like best about this contract is the fact that I'm going back to a familiar environment. As a contract worker, most of the time I'm always the new kid. I come in, work for 3 or 6 months, then go away. I'm always meeting new people and learning about new businesses, but sometimes it's nice not to be the stranger.

Goodness!

husband has even offered to get someone to come in and help me decorate the house for Christmas, darling man. Maybe our neighbours' boys from down the street ("Boys", I say. The youngest of them is 16). This is my decorate-the-house weekend, but with all the studying I have to do I'm afraid I won't get to it.

Trinity is a happy camper (as we used to say back in jr. high). Eeeeee!

Marguerite

Elissa just got Best Director - I'm stoked! She's such a down-to-earth person.

Each winner only gets 30 seconds to give a speech, it's running to a very tight schedule.

SRL, there's something about "Nutcracker" at Christmas-time, it will be a memory for her to cherish for the rest of her life.

Trinity, I am so thrilled for you with your new job - the study load sounds immense but exciting.

I hope you can get "Black Balloon" somewhere, even in the art houses. We kept hearing of this film festival picking it up, or of video release - maybe winning these awards will trigger some interest.

Hang on, Best Film is coming up...

YES! WE GOT IT! The Black Balloon just won AFI Best Film!

Yippee!!!

Elissa is fighting back tears, she's speechless (briefly). Tristram Miall just said he dedicates the award to careers and siblings of people with special needs.

OK, show over, folks. And now our email will light up. Parents support network communications will now kick in!

Marg

Marg's Man

Black Balloon got Best Film in the AFI's!!!

Tristram Miall, the Producer (Strictly Ballroom and Looking for Alibrandi), made special "Thank You" all the Parents and families of Special Needs Children everywhere.

Take a bow everyone

Marguerite

Isn't it wonderful how well we communicate? I'm in our computer room, husband is at the other end of the house plugged in to the internet by cable...

but then again, isn't it great how much alike we think? (as he just said, looking over my shoulder)

Marg

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
There is nothing as wonderful as a nice hot pot of coffee along with peace and quiet on the weekend.

I had been announcing to all of the "boys" all week that this weekend we are all going to help rearraning things in the living room and den and try and get some sembalance of order as there is still "stuff" from my office just sitting everywhere and it needs to be relagated somewhere other than the middle of the rooms.

But then eldest called and asked me to watch the grands while she got her hair done. Its not often I get to see them so am going over at 8:30 for a few hours so she can get some "me" time. Am betting by the time I get back home everyone will have disappeared from the house. LOL

Hope everyone gets to have a good weekend and no melt downs from little difficult child's

Marcie

Andy

GOOD MORNING ALL
:D:D:D
Timer - Sounds like you are going to the best "Me Day" ever today. So long overdue and so needed right now.

Marg - I remember a garage sale that we had a few summers ago that the candles did melt. I had to throw most of them away. I will mentally pull some of your hot weather this way for awhile. Have a fun movie and baking day tomorrow. Congratulations on the Black Balloon awards.

SRL - You are starting Christmas now with the Nutcracker performances. So much fun for you both! It adds to my Christmas spirit just thinking about it.

Dance Trinity Dance! You go girl!

Marcie - I hope you can round up the guys this afternoon. Send the word out that supper will be one hour earlier. When they arrive tell them the appetizer is work time. LOL!

I got to sleep in an entire 15/20 minutes! YIPEE! Oh well, such is life! husband and I have put difficult child to work this a.m. difficult child helped me move a table out of the living room to have a place for the tree. husband has decided to stay home today. The largest "YEAH" of the day for me. That means that I don't have to find a place for difficult child while easy child and I are at a brunch and I am pretty sure I don't have to take him to Fargo with easy child this afternoon.

difficult child and husband are cleaning out the garage - putting summer things down to the shed. Then I hope husband will take difficult child tree shopping. difficult child is also crushing cans. That is his income.

Everyone have a great day today. Find a way to make your difficult child laugh.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Late morning everyone. I have been up but puttering around the site.

Linda, good idea about staying and doing some "me" time.

Marguerite, I have heard of Black Balloon. I am going to try and rent it. I saw Crash because it won an Academy award. I probably would not have seen it based on it's name. It was excellent but I had to watch it twice to get everything. So today it may be the Black Balloon.

Marg's man, it is wonderful to hear someone acknowledge the special needs groups and those that support them.

trinity, your down time from your last job didn't last very long. It's great that you are a dancing fool and are excited to get started. Good idea to get help to put up decorations. Congratulations. It's a tough time to be looking for work so it says a great deal about what a good worker you are.

Marcie, excellent that you get to see the grands. It's a good sign. Maybe you will have more access.
I gave my two the same edict. Today is rearranging and decorating. I don't expect to see much of them if I go off to the grocery store.

Adrianne, I just cleaned out the garage yesterday. We had all of difficult child's apt. stuff. I rented a storage space and hauled it all over there. It's worth it to have the garage emptied of unnecessary items. Hope it goes well for you. It's like I took 50lbs off having that junk out of there.

husband and I went to a lovely Christmas dinner. The food was sooooooooo good. I couldn't finish it and really wish I had it for lunch today. LOL.(wasn't enough for a doggie bag but it was so yummy) It's fun to clean up and wear heels. Makes me feel like an adult. Met some very interesting people including husband's doctor and wife. How did I get so old as to have doctors younger than us? LOL.

Anyhow, it's time to get those boys up and moving. Have a great Saturday.:christmaslights:

Jena

Linda

I'm glad you are feeling so good today. I hope you get a well deserved reprieve today and enjoy your painting, it does sound like the perfect day to shut yourself in and you some "you" time. :)

I"m happy you have this time today. Let us know how the painting turned out.

(((((hugs)))))