A week from Tuesday ... my dog ...

Fran

Former desparate mom
Our vets offered to come to the house. Unfortunately we couldn't do it at the time.
Terry I agree about wanting my puppy to be in my arms when it's his/her time to leave this world. It's the only comfort we can give.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
I'm so very sorry, Terry; 3 mos. ago we had to put our old gold down. She was arthritic, had a bad heart, almost 14 y.o. This was the 5th time we had to do this. None of our goldens ever told us to go bleep ourselves. They were more civilized than our kids.

We will bury their ashes and plant a dogwood over them. They will be a pack once more!

Big, warm, understanding hugs.

TerryJ2

Thank you all. I can see how many of you have been through this.
I had a bad day; woke up late, very dizzy, with-a headache, did some chores, went back to bed, woke up again at 3:30. husband gave me a glass of iced tea and some Imitrex. I was finally able to get up and eat and that helped. I don't know if it was from being outside in the 90 degree heat all day yesterday, and a bit of a migraine, or what, but I was almost too dizzy to stand.
I had a bit of a panic attack a cpl times about Taffy and ended up taking 1/2 a Xanax.
She was left outside most of the day in 90 + degree heat (difficult child was supposed to bring her in, grrrr) and when she got in the house, drank an entire bowlful of water, then went to the front hall and threw up. Poor thing. The other dog, Starbucks, seemed okay.
Poor husband. He cleaned it up.
Tomorrow will be a better day.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Sending strong vibes your way.

Oddly enough, my dad calls me last night. Now, I have never in 48 years heard this man cry, but he cried. On their treck to Montana, they had to put their dog of 14 years down. I think they cared more about that dog than any of their kids. I understand. We were pests...dogs just love.

I'll be thinking about you and your family.

Abbey

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Seeing my own dog age reminds me of my own mortality and it makes me sad I can do little to stop his demise. So far he is in fairly good health, but I know as he reaches his tenth year it can't last forever...... Thinking of you and your loyal friend as you let go and Taffey's pain will be gone......

TerryJ2

Aw, so sorry for your dad, Abbey. :(

Thank you, WhymeMom.

Obviously, I'm not doing well, putting it out of my mind, or I wouldn't be here online ...

Star*

call 911........call 911
What a lovely sentiment and testament to your love for your Taffy girl.

I'll be thinking of you as she crosses the rainbow bridge into a land where there is no more pain, no more blindness, and lots of friends until you see her again.

My heart goes out to you Terry - I'll be with you in Spirit to support you and hold you up.

TerryJ2

Thank you. She's been doing unbelievably well the past 3 days. It's like she knows something's going on ... spooky.

DammitJanet

Im so sorry Im coming into this late Terry. I really feel badly for you and Taffy. I have lost many furbabies and it is never easy. I had one dog that lived somewhere around 17 years and she got older and older to where she was just about blind and deaf. One day she just went outside and found her a place in the woods, curled up in some leaves and took her final nap. I always thought she did that so we didnt have to deal with making the decision on her dying. She did it for us. She was such a good dog.

Terry,

Today is the first day I've been here in awhile. I'm sorry I'm late reading this. I know nothing I can say will make things any easier for you. I know how painful the decision is to decide to stop the suffering of a beloved furry family member. No matter how many times we have to do it, it never gets easier. It is one of the most heartbreaking experiences in life...

I know it has already been suggested that you take lots of pictures. I've found that buying a pretty frame and making a collage of some of my favorite pictures helps not only me, but also my children get through it. When the collage is finished, I hang it in a special place in my home. At first, whenever I look at one of the collages I made, it brings uncontrollable tears. Then, after much time goes by, it makes me smile and remember the happier times, and all the love I shared with my very special furry family member... Maybe this could help you too...

Please know that I'm thinking of you... Sending lots of cyber hugs... WFEN

nvts

Terry, I'm so sorry! We went through the identical thing with Coco our golden/collie mix. She was 18 yrs old and it broke my heart. I had made the appointment. for Thurs. (our vet comes to our house) and she died Tues. night.

I'll never forget her - she was my friend!

Beth

N

Nomad

We did this last fall. IT was extraordinarily difficult. Afterwards, husband and I remained in bed for hours. Just wasted. The next day...dragging a bit. However, relatively soon we were more or less okay. We reviewed the situation as best as we could and knew that there really was no other way. Today, we look at photos and smile...there is a warm place in our hearts. We have a beautiful photo where this dog use to stay most of the time and it will stay there forever. Everyone who knew him says something lovely when they see it. Many of us understand... thinking of you...sending cyber hugs.

TerryJ2

Thank you all. I know you've all been through it.

difficult child had to remind me, difficult child that he is, that I cried so hard when we put down our last collie that I made gagging sounds and he thought I was coughing up blood, thankyouverymuchforthatreminderNOT!

I spoke with-the guy who cuts our grass and asked him to dig a hole for Tues. at noon on the same hill where the other dogs are buried.
One hole that he dug a few yrs back was for our borzoi, Gorby. Borzoi are very big, plus, our zoning (or whatever) law says that dogs have to be 6 ft under. His men dug a huge, rectangular hole, so big that they kept saying, "You sure she's not putting Dr. J in there? She's not going to knock him off for the ins or something?" LOL.

Got to find humor where you can.

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm so sorry, Terry. It's obvious how much you love Taffy. I'm glad you'll be there with her when the time comes.

(((hugs)))