A week from Tuesday ... my dog ...

TerryJ2

Thank you. She has been nearly perfect for the past 3 days.
I feel guilty for making the appointment.
But the min. I cancel, her condition will deteriorate. Sigh.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Maybe it would be wise for all of us to have a spare hole dug - just waiting - for difficult child's or stinker husbands....sends quite a message.

mstang67chic

Going Green
This may sound weird, but having that hole dug ahead of time kind of makes it easier.

Kind of.

We have Taz buried out at my mom's next to her dog, the bird and what was left of the two chickens. (Racoons got them) I had gone out a couple of days ahead of time and dug what I could. Couldn't have picked a worse spot! LOL There was a huge root, lots of rocks (one of which was big enough I took it home, cleaned and painted it and used it as a head stone) and debris. Apparently, this was the spot that my grandmother used as a trash pile back in the day. (The folks live in my step-dad's childhood home). Anyway, it just made me feel like we were doing something for him by doing this. Kind of that we were taking care of him, you know?

When we actually got to "the day", I made a bed in the back seat for him with a layer of plastic sheeting (bladders tend to release), a comforter and then a sheet arranged so I could fold down the top half once it was over. We put Taz in the car and drove around for awhile with the windows down so he could get the breeze on his face. He absolutely loved car rides even though he would throw up if it was too long of a ride. When we got to the vet's, our doctor came out to the car so we wouldn't have to carry Taz in. They gave him the shot in a rear leg so I could sit at his head, which I did, talking to him and petting him until even after he was gone.

Taz too, I think, knew something was up. I don't think he wanted to go (the spirit was still willing...body couldn't keep up) but at the same time, I think he understood. He was hurting and humiliated and I know he didn't like that. We could tell by the look on his face. With our situation, I think this was the best thing we could have done for him and in the best way possible.

Funny thing is....husband and I both thought I would be the "messy" one. And I was at the vets. Once we left (I was driving) I pulled it together. husband filled the hole since I had dug and HE was the one losing it while shoveling. 'Course it didn't help that when we got to Mom's, she had put a canning jar filled with wildflowers at the head of the grave.

Sorry....didn't mean to get into this uplifting, happy story. I just wanted to stop by and let you know I'm thinking of you. I know it's hard but please don't back down. It's time and this is the best possible thing. The brain knows this but the heart hates it.

HUGS