A Weight Loss Thread - tips and support welcome!

nlj

Peas in their pods are great for snacking.

In the UK, we Special K cereal bars that are low calorie but don't taste as if they are. Do you have those?

Could you walk to work? Walking is one of the best ways of keeping weight off.

InsaneCdn

Reduce your stress.

:rofl:

Right. If we could do that, we wouldn't be on this board.

But I'm serious. Anything you can do that reduces stress, will help with weight loss. Not only does stress cause cravings, but the stress hormones work against weight loss. It's part of why mild but enjoyable exercise has a bigger impact on weight loss than the calories burned by the exercise.

Californiablonde

I am actually looking for snack ideas that have zero points like the fruit and veggies without dip. Right now I am really missing the peaches, plums and mangoes. When the heck do they come in season again, anyway? Is it spring?

InsaneCdn

How about frozen?
As in... if we can get frozen mango (cut up, in a bag) at small-town grocery stores way up here in the northlands... surely, you can get that in California?

(of course, this being California, many things do not follow logic)

As far as peaches go... learn to do your own home canning, and have really great peaches all year long. (store-bought "canned" peaches are cardboard; home-canned are... well, someone once called a home-canned half peach "preserved sunshine") That won't help this winter, though...

Californiablonde

I would love to find frozen mango slices. Mangoes are my favorite fruit but I am deterred from eating them at work because they are so messy. If they come already sliced that would be even better. I will look the next time I am at the store.

Lil

How about dried? I LOVE dried mango....it's like candy only healthy. You do have to watch the portion sizes, since you get all the sugar in a smaller bite, but they're great! They should sell it near raisins and nuts and such.

Californiablonde

Nice idea, Lil, but I hate dried fruit. It all tastes like raisins to me and I absolutely detest raisins. I am going to look in the frozen fruit section and see if I can find anything there.

Lil

Nice idea, Lil, but I hate dried fruit. It all tastes like raisins to me and I absolutely detest raisins. I am going to look in the frozen fruit section and see if I can find anything there.

You are a picky, picky girl. :p

All I can say is that a dried mango tastes like a very intensely flavored mango and nothing at all like a raisin. lol

Here - You can find anything on Amazon...except plums, apparently: :D

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fruit-Com...&ie=UTF8&qid=1421341873&sr=1-1&keywords=mango

http://www.amazon.com/RIPENED-PEACHES-PRODUCE-SWEET-FRESH/dp/B008YV6GCI/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1421342068&sr=1-1&keywords=fresh peaches

Californiablonde

I give up trying to eat healthy at work. This morning I brought a hard boiled egg to eat for breakfast and once again my supervisor told me it stank. She made a big production out of it and opened up three office windows (even though it was freezing!) to get rid of the smell. So bananas, cooked vegetables, and eggs are on the list of foods I can't eat at work. It sucks having a coworker who is hyper sensitive to smell and tells people what they can and cannot eat. I feel bad for one of my students because she pulled out a banana at nutrition break and my supervisor told the girl she couldn't eat it. She is the one who stinks!

Lil

I give up trying to eat healthy at work. This morning I brought a hard boiled egg to eat for breakfast and once again my supervisor told me it stank. She made a big production out of it and opened up three office windows (even though it was freezing!) to get rid of the smell. So bananas, cooked vegetables, and eggs are on the list of foods I can't eat at work. It sucks having a coworker who is hyper sensitive to smell and tells people what they can and cannot eat. I feel bad for one of my students because she pulled out a banana at nutrition break and my supervisor told the girl she couldn't eat it. She is the one who stinks!

Okay, seriously does this nutjob have a superior? Because a hard boiled egg has virtually NO smell! Do you have an HR department? How on earth does anyone eat anything in your office? That's the most ridiculous thing ever. Ditto the vegetables. Unless you were making cabbage, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, or broccoli, there should be very little smell.

I think I'd just bring a different, really horrible smelling food every day that isn't on the list of "don'Tourette's Syndrome", just for spite. May I suggest pickled herring and a nice limburger cheese...maybe some sardines. :devilish:

Californiablonde

I actually waited to microwave my Salisbury steak till she went on her lunch break because I was afraid she would complain about THAT! And a few months ago she confided in me that she was incredibly bothered by the fact that I didn't push in my chair all the way. This woman is just NOT happy!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'd bring a nice Bavarian breakfast to work: Dried salami, aged cheese, butter, rolls, and strong coffee.

If it's spring, you can add the pickled herring as a special treat.

BusynMember

When I was in WeightWatchers I went from 155 to 115. I'm up to 120 now...haha. But I keep watching and being carefulk.

Anyhow, I cooked veggies often such as broccoli, but broccoli alone is boring so I got fat free cheese and melted it on the broccoli or other low cal veggies. Made a world of difference. Also, you can use cinnamon and Splenda. I'd cut up an apple because I don't like them, sprinkle plain cinamon on it and Splenda packets then heat it up. Yum. And it smelled good too.

I ate A LOT of Greek yogurt. If you don't like yogurt and never tried Greek, TRY IT. I bought Light 'N Fit (90 calories or 2 points) and other no saturated fat yogurts and I drank only skim milk. I exercised 45 min. 5 days a week when I wasn't working...haha. I don't have time now, but my job is pretty strenuous so that is sort of like exercise itself!

Weightwatchers discourages diet soda...too much sodium. I gave up diet soda. And I find caffeine makes me hungry so I only have coffee in the morning, then swtich to decaf. Not eating after dinner has helped me too.

I almost became a vegan doing Weightwatchers and still don't eat much meat. My bad cholesterol dropped 50 points too!

InsaneCdn

What is pickled herring, GoingNorth? It sounds disgusting!
Let's just say that if you weren't born with the DNA that loves it... then you probably won't even like it. Depending on who you ask, it's either "heavenly" or "trash".

It's pickled fish. Not uncommon in parts of northern Europe.

As far as the supervisor goes? I'd be calling HR and asking for their advice.
Telling a student that they cannot eat a banana is quite a bit different than asking a co-worker to lay off the stinky cheese or strong masala. Steamed carrots are not the same thing as brussel sprouts or cooked cabbage. Yes, there are some things that can be a problem, and those tend to affect more than half the people present.

Or is she too "well placed" to be touched? as in... HR dept would get pounded if they touched her? In that case... I'd be out of there as fast as I could get out.

Californiablonde

Insane, to answer your question, this woman is skinny, a double D, wears short skirts, low cut tops, and stilettos. Every single person here, male and female (especially male) kisses her royal butt! It's disgusting and I've been watching from the side lines for years as this has been happening!