A Weight Loss Thread - tips and support welcome!

InsaneCdn

That description doesn't explain anything.
WHY does every single person "kiss her royal butt"?
It's not because of how she dresses or the shape of her body.

WHO is her in-system protector? You need to know. It might be in the school, it might be in the division office or somewhere else. But somebody is protecting her butt.

*** and depending on who that is, you may need to protect your own butt and get out of there.

Last edited:

InsaneCdn

The banana incident should have been reported to HR immediately. Its probably too late to do that now, but watch for other incidents like it. Student well-being comes (or should come) very high on the priority list.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CB. Insane is correct. Liking pickled/smoked/fermented fish is basically genetic for most people.

If you don't have Northern or Eastern European or Native/First Nations/Asian DNA, you'll probably gag on the stuff.

It is exactly what the names say it is. I love the stuff, but I'm basically a Russian/Baltic mutt and grew up eating stinky fish and stinky cheese.

Californiablonde

I don't like most fish (salmon is too fishy for me) so I know I wouldn't like pickled herring. Darn it I was just at the store on my lunch break and I forgot to look for frozen fruit. It will have to wait till I go back tomorrow.

JKF

One of my favorite snacks is sliced apples with aged cheddar cheese. Also for breakfast, snack, and or dessert I love oatmeal topped with ground flax seed, fresh fruit, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, shredded coconut and a splash of almond milk. Yum!

dstc_99

I am surprised how well the diet is going with my kids. I was picturing straight out mutiny on their parts but so far no issues other than easy child didn't like one of the meals. They are both taking their lunches to work/school and difficult child even cooked one of the dinners for me.

If you like shrimp this one is delicious http://www.dashdietoregon.org/resources/recipes/strawberry-shrimp-and-feta-salad

If you like hamburgers/sliders this one is too
http://preset.food.com/recipes/570423-dash-super-savory-sliders

I would cheat and just buy light balsamic viniagrette for the salad. I made theirs and its easy but I don't see the point in making it from scratch when I can just keep it on hand.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I would think that CA Super Wal-mart would have mangoes and the like in the Winter months.

We don't have them up here in the Frozen Northwoods, but even up here we can get frozen tropical fruits. The mangoes aren't bad at all.

Wal-mart has frozen mangoes and peaches without addes sugar that are quite good. I like them cut up and mixed with greek yoghurt. I don't have a blender, but I bet they'd be excellent in smoothies.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I've never eaten a fresh mango, believe it or not! I like them IN things, but have never had them fresh. Just frozen and in things like smoothies, yoghurt, etc.

They are good that way. I don't know why I've never just bought a fresh mango and eaten it that way. Possibly because I've had allergic reactions to so many tropical fruits. Dumb, as I already know I'm not allergic to mangoes.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Up until 5 years ago I never had an issue with my weight but because of radiation treatments I had for cancer 20 years ago I developed hypothyroidism. I take medication for that and work out regularly. I don't think I will ever be the same size I was and that's ok with me. I'm more focused on maintaining my health. I eat very healthy 6 days a week and allow myself 1 day a week to be "naughty" and eat whatever I want.

I really like my steamed veggies. I wish I liked them raw but I just don't!
I purchased a Vitamix years ago and I use it everyday. I make a berry smoothie for my breakfast and I also make a veggie smoothie for my afternoon snack. I use 1 apple, 2 good sized carrots and about 2 cups of kale. I alternate the kale with spinach every other day. There are many different recipes online. It's a great way to get some whole uncooked veggies in your diet.

How about cold steamed veggies?
I have also done this. I drizzle mine with an italian flavored olive oil and a little sea salt. YUM!!

I work with a group of women who are obsessed with dieting. They are more concerned about their dress size than they are their health. These women do not excercise, we all have desk jobs and we are all over 50. Sometimes I think they try to sabatoge each other as they will bring in snacks to share and it's never anything healthy. The crazy thing is none of them ever lose any weight.

Again, for me it's more important to be healthy than a certain size.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I plan on trying a fresh mango once I get moved back to "civilization" and can buy one.

I know I'm not allergic to those, at least. I am allergic to Kiwi and Starfruit, though.

Californiablonde

As a matter of fact we do have a Walmart here. It's a half hour drive from where we live but I would be ever so willing to make that drive for my fruit. I will call them and see if they have what I am looking for before I make the trip.

nlj

I eat very healthy 6 days a week and allow myself 1 day a week to be "naughty" and eat whatever I want.

I really like this idea!

(I also have hypothyroidism Tanya, it's hereditary with me, my mother has it and my eldest daughter has it, so far. I manage to stay pretty slim with the correct dose of thyroxine and exercising and eating sensibly, but it is a struggle at times isn't it? It's the other stuff too, feeling cold all the time and tired and sometimes depressed.).

Tanya M

Staff member
Lucy I haven't really had the effects of being cold, tired or depressed but I know others that do. I consider myself lucky that I don't but am realistic enough to know that could change. I do miss being able to eat like I used to.
:morecrackers::picnic::spaghetti::sushi:

So I'll keep working out.

:treadmill::exercisebike:

Lil

Has anyone tried Myfitnesspal.com? A friend told me about it yesterday and I started using their food tracker. I also ran a recipe through it, so I could figure out how many calories to put in for my lasagna. Nice site.

My husband and I are people who genuinely LOVE food of all kinds. We're adventurous eaters. We love trying new ethnic foods; Thai, Indian, various middle-eastern and Mediterranean...we love it all. I also really like cooking...especially comforting foods; stews, casseroles, pastas...and baking! I love to bake. Breads, scones, muffins, pies - I love my carbs! Cooking is an art. Baking is a science. I flatter myself that I'm pretty good at both and the payoff is you get to eat the end result!

The best thing we got out of Weight Watchers was portion control...which is a challenge for us. When we're being serious, we get the scale and measuring cups out and weigh and measure everything. Weight Watchers had nothing off limits...but that piece of cake you saved 6 pts for? It's not 6 if you eat a serving 3X bigger than they say to. I'll never forget the first time that I measured out a cup of spaghetti and half cup of sauce and we were shocked at the size. It was both more than we expected and way less than we had been eating. Turned out it was enough to fill us up...we just had to pay attention.

The other thing we really got shocked by was just how bad our diets had been. We ate a lot of fast food. Did you know that for the calories in one Sonic breakfast burrito and medium tater tots, you could eat four and a half Krispy Kreme donuts? It never even occurred to me that there was 500 calories and 29 grams of fat in a single breakfast burrito! Your basic taco salad from Taco Bell has 780 calories. A Dairy Queen four-piece chicken strip basket has 1,020 calories!

Keeping track and paying attention to the point of obsessing was the only way I was ever successful at losing weight. I guess I'm going to have to go back to obsessing over that, instead of over my kid. :rolleyes:

Tanya M

Staff member
Cooking is an art. Baking is a science. I flatter myself that I'm pretty good at both and the payoff is you get to eat the end result!
I too love to cook and bake. My husband often tells me he's so happy he married me because I'm a really good cook.

Portion control is so key. When you buy dishes you never really think about the size of the plate and when we get those beautiful new plates home we fill them up, when in all actuality we should be using the salad plate.

One other thing is to ssssslllllloooooowwwww down when you eat. It takes 20 min for your brain to send the signal that you are full and don't forget to chew your food well, digestion starts with chewing.

Make sure you drink plenty of water. I drink at least 1/2 gal a day which is 8 8oz glasses. Sometimes people will confuse being dehydrated with being hungry.

BusynMember

Ok, everyone. It's cold outside so I've started jogging around the apartment for 45 minutes, but today I worked so make that 30. If i can do this, at age 61, so can you. You do have to work up to it and make time.

I found it nearly impossible to lose weight without exercising regularly and my family runs a high metabolism. If it's cold outside...walk or jog in your basement or living room. Yes, my husband doesn't like it when I cross in front of the TV, but he gets it...lol ;) Off to run!

WW allows about 1500 calories a day...I have the book on points if anyone has a question. I'm just trying to maintain after going up five pounds. It's much easier to gain than to lose.