Abilfy commercial.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
OK I am glad that people are aware that there are medications out there! i guess TV is an OK medium to show them.
But everytime I see the Abilfy commercial with the youngish woman walking on the beach, along a wooden boardwalk, to her happy man... it is all so happy and serene and positive. Chipper!!!
Just makes me want to take Abilify!!!
But then I think about K on it. :tongue::faint: I think why not show the people who are having tics, tongue thrust, drool, agitation??? Show my stinking kid on it!!! And Abilify worked pretty well for her.
Sorry but these commercials sometimes just get me going. They paint such a happy little picture... just pop a pill. Make it all better. Really? I will be running through the grass after I pop an Abilify... to my lover!!!
I think I have some of K's left!!! Where is this place, Abilifyopia...

Lamictalville is pretty cool, but not like the adds for Abilify!

F

flutterbee

Kinda like the lunesta and the butterflies. There's nothing butterfly-like with lunesta, let me tell you.

I hate the way they portray these drugs with the ads, too.

totoro

They must run them all at night!!!! I am watching the news and just saw the Lunesta one!!! They are lucky I take Ambien! Yeah sleep aids don't make me feel like a butterfly!!! Especially when I have to get a new script each month and sign each time... like I am getting high on Ambien!!! I feel more like a dying moth...
A butterfly soaring through the grass and fields on Lunesta and Abilify!!! Who knew it could be so wonderful... down to my lover waiting on the docks.

difficult child 1 is on Abilify. According to the commercial, he should have transformed into a well-adjusted, polite, caring, warm, out-going, fun loving, etc. individual - BACK TO REALITY - I'm counting the days until he moves out of my house FOREVER!!!

I feel a bit better now - Just needed to vent a bit... WFEN

Fran

Former desparate mom
I agree that they do not portray bipolar realistically. However, bipolar and depression was not ever mentioned so openly and publicly. It will make the topics of mental illness much less taboo.
All the old taboo topics become less intimidating when they become normal social conversation.
Look at ED for goodness sakes! Who would have thought we would laugh at erectile dysfunction and the horrid side effects.
Feminine hygiene products
birth control
bladder problems

Before they were all under wraps and people thought they were different. Now you don't feel quite alone.

I am liking the idea of Abilifyopia. I love the name totoro. Where do I catch the train to that place?

TerryJ2

Oh, Heather, the butterfly/luna moth was exactly what came to mind when I read Totoro's note. A bit too pretty ...
But marketing and advertising is supposed to "sell the sizzle, not the steak." And drug companies do that very well.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay -

I think we should get our kids together - and video tape them after taking these drugs (which ever ones they are on)

And get them when they are having a melt down -

And gather up our monies and RUN OUR OWN commercial that has all of us standing in a nice room (like we're doing a weight loss commercial) and have some of us sitting on the couch all smiles, and some of us on tall bar stools behind the couch -
We're all dressed nice and had our makeup done by professionals, and were "posed" with huge grins.

And one of us starts talking - likemmmmm Toto -
and the camera zooms in on her and she smiles and tilts her head to the side as if she's sooooo deliriously happy and the interview person says
"So Toto, can you tell us what your experiences with Abilify in your children have been like." and you say
"Sure interview man - but first let's take a look at the commercial currently being aired." (and they put it up on the screen, the sound is down and you talk about how lucky this woman is running down the boardwalk to her happy man with her happy life - and say "Now THIS is what my husband and I have found with Abliify" flash to home shot video of K having a meltdown of epic proportions.
And then someone else who's child is on Abilfy says "OH OH my turn." Chipper as a coyote eating payote - and then flash to THEIR home video of a meltdown. Full on screaming, raging for hours, tantrums, breaking things, the language -can you see that? Bleep you Blieep, and I bleeping bleep you Bleeping bleeper....Yea put that in your Bleeping video and air it on bleeping television commercials for bleeping drugs . Bleeper blepper.

And then we run the commercial for Welbutrin and other medicines - and then the one for Lunesta - and we've snuck into Wynters house and videotaped her walking around every night after taking Lunesta until four or five - and continually flash to her chipper moods and then the clock, mood, clock, mood clock.....back to the bottle of Lunesta, clock, her face, clock - bottle of Lunesta.

It could work -

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
One thing about the drug commercials that really bugs me is closer to the heart. My H could really use an antidepressant but he won't take one; he adamantly refuses to take any prescription drug. The reason? The bombardment of drug ads on tv.

We are unindated with these ridiculous ads every single commercial break and they are either too unrealistic or too 'out there' or too hilarious and most of them sound downright scary when they get to the 'most common side effects may include...' portion of the commercial.

Perhaps if the drugs themselves did not get so much dang exposure, people like my H would be willing to give them a try.

I'm all for coming out of the closet about mental illness and brain disorders, but Jeeezuz, it's gotten to be too much with these stupid commercials. And don't even get me started on the relationship between drug companies and our insurance rates! Eiyee!!

klmno

Can we add in a clip of psychiatrist (a REAL one) saying "well, it isn't an exact science- it could take years to get the medication combo right"?

Star*

call 911........call 911
OH GOOD IDEA klmno - we have to have testimonials from psychiatrists - and put paid actor under the picture.

:biting:

REALLY WELL PAID ACTOR......lol :greedy:

DammitJanet

I am with Fran on this topic. Sure the commercials show the best side of things but at least these topics are now out in the open. I love the commercials where they talk about how you have X amount of friends that you can rely on for such and such a thing, another X amount of friends for another thing but only 1 friend that will be there for you if you have a mental illness. Then there is that ad for cbscares.com with the guy from NCIS who talks about bipolar.

These are good things.

Abbey

Spork Queen
What about the commercial that actually SHOWS the possible side effects...nausua, stroke, etc. Can you imagine the ED one? ;)

Abbey

klmno

You have a good point Janet and Fran- I guess I haven't seen all the commercials. But, it would be nice if they included some statement about it taking a little time before it started working that effectively. If they have to state common side effects, couldn't they say something like "effectiveness and time to see improvements will vary from person to person"- so that if we are educating the public and people like sd's and judges, they will know that if we say "difficult child is having medication changes" or "difficult child's medications aren't very effective right now" that we aren't having to fight their preconceived notions that if they took the pill last night, he should have a perfect life today.

But, yes, getting something out there to increase awareness is an improvement.

totoro

OMG! Showing the side affects with all of us and our kids would be Hysterical!!!
Don't get me wrong, I want people to embrace All of the special needs children!!! Whether medicated or not, I especially think Mental Illness is "Scary" to most people... and needs to not be... I am not scary, all of the time, most of the time!!!LOL
But these commercials make people who are ignorant, like my mother in law... think that having depression or Bipolar Disorder is just fixed by taking a pill.
I have sat in a room with her and after an Abilify commercial she and her Husband ask, "Has K tried that?" "Well what do you mean it wasn't that great for her? It sounds good"
I like the Selling the steak analogy...

I know it is the money... the business. I know having Mental Illness is "Cool" right now!!! Autism is so last year, ADHD was last decade!
What will it be next year!!! I hope I get it! and a cool new medication...

If it was me in the commercial I would have tripped on the dock... from my medications!

DammitJanet

From what I do see on commercials they are fairly responsible. Lets take the Lyrica commercial for Fibromyalgia. I am extremely thrilled that they are finally mentioning fibro on the tv and saying that it is a real illness and not all in our heads. This is a huge step. However, they say that Lyrica is the only FDA medication approved for the treatment of fibromyalgia which is true but they go on to say that there are side effects and that Lyrica isnt for everyone and if you have these certain side effects to contact your doctor blah blah blah. I am one of those who tried Lyrica and had side effects and cannot take it. I wish I could. But that doesnt stop me from being so thrilled to see the national attention these commercials are brought to this illness.

totoro

Man walking into ER, famale nurses, OOOOHHH!!! :crazy1:

OK we can all go to the corner... too funny Abbey. But you would be the nurse sans clothing...just the grannies...:redface:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
What this country needs are more MENTAL HEALTH PSA'S!!!!

And CELEBRITY ENDORSEMENTS!!!!

Oh, BRITNEY!.... LINDSAY!?... ROBERT DOWNEY!... Excuse me, MISS WINEHOUSE!?

We need a commercial like the anti-drug campagins "This Is Your Brain. This Is Your Brain On Drugs. Any Questions?"

Something like "This is Your Life. This Is Your Life When You Ignore Mental Health. Any Questions?"

OR...They could all stand up there with pictures of the mentally ill who are homelesss or in jail and say "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU IGNORE MENTAL HEALTH. IF I WEREN'T SO RIDICULOUSLY WEALTHY AND FAMOUS AND ABLE TO AFFORD DOCTORS AND REHAB AND WITH HOARDS OF PEOPLE DEPENDING ON ME TO STAY SOBER AND STABLE, I'D BE HERE TOO."

Hmmmm....