Went to see the new P-doctor today and we talked medications I had thought that he would raise difficult child#1 Celexa but the doctor wanted to add Abilify to the mix.
Anyone had any experience with this medication?

Wiped Out

Staff member
I think many have had good results with Abilify. difficult child didn't do well but he developed a very rare reaction of Tardive Dyskensia. I hope the Abilify works well for your difficult child.

jannie

trying to survive....
Abilify has taken the "edge off my child's anger". I think it's the best medication he's been on. He been taking it for three years. Good luck-

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My difficult child 2 was on it for a while with good results. Long story very short, he developed a dystonic reaction and had to stop. But it was great while it lasted!

Only real negative side effect was the increased appetite which resulted in some extra pounds.

Steely

It is really supposed to be a good medication, for many mood issues.

For my son, who is bi-polar, it caused him to become even more manic - however it does not sound as if your son has the same diagnosis.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

B

butterflydreams

my daughter seems to be doing well on Abilify, she has been on it for almost a year. It took time to get the dosage right, she was on Trileptal along with it for awhile and then psychiatrist just recently removed it to see if she can be a little more even.

JJJ

I have two on Abilify and it seems to "take the edge off" but does not give nearly the symptom control we had with Zyprexa and Geodon but our psychiatrist won't prescribe Zyprexa anymore because of all the lawsuits and my daughter got TD from Geodon. So we take what we can get from the Abilify.

Janna

We had good luck with Abilify for D in lower doses, but it always fizzled out, so to speak. So, every couple/few months we'd have to increase.

By the time he hit 25 mg or so (memory is bad, sorry - might have been 30), he was drooling, slurring, forgetful - got ugly, so we d/c.

But, initially, it was GREAT! Too bad it didn't hold up for the long haul for D :(

Hope it works!!

wakeupcall

My difficult child did pretty well on Abilify, nothing spectacular, but he gained lots of weight on it. It's now been discontinued and he's just begun taking Invega, a timed release form of Risperdal......doctor says no weight gain with Invega.

tulip2128

My daughter has been on Abilify for 3 weeks and has developed TD...did anyone else have it come on that quickly and if so, did it go away after you took your children off of the medications?