Acupuncture and Weight Loss

Calamity Jane

Hi everyone,

I guess I should've posted on "Natural Living" forum, but I think more folks might visit this site.

Has anyone had any success with acupuncture specifically for weight loss? I'd like to suggest it to my daughter, who tends to be a picky eater (junk food, mostly) and an emotional eater. Was wondering if anyone had any success, and of course, here comes the dumbest part: does it hurt? She's squeamish, too.

Thanks so much.

InsaneCdn

I can answer the "dumb" question (but I don't believe there is a dumb question...)

If it is done by a true professional, it does not hurt. You should not feel anything.

No experience with it in the context of weight loss.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Hi CJ, I've been going for professional acupuncture for over 20 years on a regular basis and generally, it doesn't hurt. However, since one of the significant benefits from this is that it unblocks energy in the meridians, at times there is a sort of pinch as the energy begins to flow. It's not the needle/pin which hurts going in, it's the blocked energy opening up and moving once again, which is a positive thing.

I am not knowledgeable about acupuncture and weight loss, however I'm going this afternoon for my acupuncture appointment and I'll ask her about that. A huge benefit is that it works on the inside, calming the whole system down, which may work to reduce your daughter's stress and/or desire for eating when she is emotional. My mother went to my acupuncturist for sciatica pain, which acupuncture is fabulous at eliminating, 2-3 visits and it's usually gone. Initially, my mother was a little squeamish about the needles too, so the acupuncturist gave her herbs for another condition which also worked well, just a little slower. But she has seen so many positive results happening for me over many years, she finally relented and tried the needles when she got the sciatica and when it worked so quickly and effectively, she became a true believer!

I go on a regular basis to keep me "tuned up" as my acupuncturist says, I find it so helpful for so much, in particular stress, it promotes a very deep sense of relaxation.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
CJ, I have some information for you from my acupuncturist. Yes, they are licensed and well regulated and governed. You can ask to see a license. Some work in a Dr's office, some, like mine, are in private practice. Out here in CA. the largest HMO has acupuncturists on staff, so it has become a legitimate entity in the US. It's the oldest medical model dating back 5000 years. I've learned to trust my acupuncturist as much as I trust my Dr., sometimes more.

Mine told me that it can help with weight loss, it works energetically to strengthen the physical body and the emotional body so it is not a quick fix. Acupuncture in general, with a couple of exceptions like sciatica, is a longer term healing model. The Chinese believe that it takes the body quite a long time to get out of balance and/or 'sick' so it will take awhile for it to gain health back. It's a very different perspective then the western cultural quick fix, but once the body is in balance, with no blockages in the Chi (energy), it becomes peaceful and can utilize it's own remarkable healing capabilities to stay healthy.

I posed your question to her about acupuncture "hurting." She said that Chinese acupuncture, can in fact, hurt. She said they use larger needles and the basic thought process is that if it gets the Chi to move, that is the focus, not on it being painless. The Japanese and Korean methods use thinner needles and are therefore easier on the patient, however, as I mentioned before, it can be a tad uncomfortable at times. Your daughter should be prepared for that. I went to a Chinese acupuncturist in Florida about 20 years ago and the procedures with him sometimes hurt. It's a quick sting like feeling as the energy moves and then it's instantly gone. He also used an electric current that pulsed through the needles and that was sometimes uncomfortable. You may want to find a practitioner who practices the Japanese, Korean or Vietnamese models.

My acupuncturist is Korean and uses the Japanese model of acupuncture, which apparently is less likely to hurt then the Chinese. I told her you were in the Northeast and she knew of an excellent acupuncturist in Boston, she gave me her name so if you are in that area, PM me and I will pass along her name to you. (I don't think we're supposed to do recommendations on the board) She told me this woman is a "premier expert."

I hope that helps you. Good luck in your search.

Calamity Jane

Thanks RE, I really appreciate your speaking with the acupuncturist today, and for the explanation of the different types of acupuncture (safe to say she won't won't be considering Chinese! lol).
We're in New Jersey, so the Boston location is too far, but thanks again for all the info. I'm one of those people who would give it a go just to see if it would be helpful. I will offer to go with easy child just to check it out if she wants me there. She does go for deep tissue massage fairly frequently, so I think she can handle any discomfort. Many thanks.