ADHD and illness

garrison

Mr. I has allergies and tiny sinuse's. Which equals lots of infections over the years. Nowthat his ADHD is being controlled better, when he has an "off" day it's really obvious. The last 3 times he has had a bad day have been the day before he got sick.
Any one else see ADHD behavior as a warning sign to other health issues?

InsaneCdn

Not "ADHD" per se, but whatever other developmental conditions... yes.
JMO: They have to put more energy into survival, so there isn't as much left over to handle illness... coming down with something = some sort of bump in behavior.

buddy

Absolutely! And....when he's really super sick ( rare, maybe 4 times ever) he is so great! But, colds, hang nails, canker sores, pre illnesses, he is awful.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My bipolar and sensory issues get worse when I'm not feeling well or when my pollen allergies are kicking up. It's as if not feeling well sucks up all my psychological energy and I don't have any left for my coping mechanisms.

I asked my psychiatrist about this and he said it's not uncommon.

InsaneCdn

The other factor with colds and allergies in particular is... it affects the sinuses, which can affect our quality of sleep. And difficult child kids are usually highly affected by lack of quality sleep. So it may be the illness/allergy itself, OR it may be a side-effect of the side-effects, if you Know what I mean?. Doesn't make much diff... it's a PAIN.