ADHD/ODD kids & Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluations

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I see a lot of people recommending Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluations for kids who may have an initial diagnosis of ADHD and ODD. Kids who are defiant and aggressive. What would you say when scheduling an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation for a kid like I've described? Do you just say my kid has behavior problems and has been diagnosed with xyz and you would like to find out if more is going on?

Has anyone been in this boat and found answers/solutions by seeking Occupational Therapist (OT)? If so, what specifically helped?

Thanks!

InsaneCdn

Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation for sensory and motor skills issues, for us, was a HUGE help. Occupational Therapist (OT) therapies are working on motor skills and prioceptive processing (a neurological difference...). Plus Occupational Therapist (OT) report was key to getting Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) diagnosis, and the combo was key to getting technology support.

Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) evaluation for APDs was even a bigger breakthrough. Took two rounds though... because the first time, the testing sequences they used didn't even LOOK for auditory figure ground... and for my difficult child... that was making school drive him insane.

On top of that, findings from both are useful to a comprehensive evaluator.

When you book it, it's to 'rule out' sensory and motor skills issues.

Ktllc

3 main areas: fine motor skills, gross motor skills and sensory. Those 3 areas can affect how an individual functions and processes the world around.
If there is any dysfunctions in any of those 3 areas, you want to start therapy in order to improve the skills and accomodate at home and school.
You can just call and say you want him tested for those 3 areas. Then, the evaluator will take it from there. They will ask the aptient's history and development, you'll have to fill out some questionaires. Be awarethat not all Occupational Therapist (OT) are qualified in sensory and you really want sensory checked out. So ask for all 3 areas.

tiredmommy

Sensory in our case. It made a huge dent in negative behaviors because the Occupational Therapist (OT) treatments helped her to process better and not feel so overwhelmed.

dysgraphic frustrations coupled with some behavioral, sensory and fine motor stuff for mine....

Occupational Therapist (OT) was by far the most worthwhile therapy we've done to date with real, measurable outcomes. we did everything from typing to brushing to the listening program, all of which helped in some way.

she's graduated about two years ago but I wouldn't hesitate to put her back in if I see any issues pop up.

IT1967

My difficult child 1's teacher told me she thought she had sensory issues, and so I asked for an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation for that. I started by filling out a parent questionnaire at school and the Occupational Therapist (OT) looked it over along with-the teachers report and gave a recommendation. Then I went to private Occupational Therapist (OT), because there was no way our school would do Occupational Therapist (OT). Thankfully, my kids' issues aren't severe enough to warrant school Occupational Therapist (OT). I do think Occupational Therapist (OT) has helped some, but with-o the medications, I don't think it would make much difference. I'm actually contemplating starting difficult child 2 in Occupational Therapist (OT) as well. Not sure he has sensory stuff or not, but I'm going to ask for an evaluation.

InsaneCdn

What insurance will cover varies widely.
We had to pay for the Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation out of pocket - but once we had a list of multiple related dxes, we found a way to get the therapy paid for. (but we're not in the US)
Occupational Therapist (OT) and/or Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) evaluations tend to not be extremely costly - typically in the hundreds of dollars, not thousands.