Liahona

Welcome to conduct disorders! Sorry you're having a rough time. I don't see any help from my sons' ADHD medications, but school sure notices when he isn't on them. How long is the adderall xr supposed to last? Others here will be more knowledgable than I am. Just want to say hello and welcome.

needabreak

i dont understand your quistion.do you want to know what it is?my son has both and is quite a hand full.an dcan be very hard to deal with.you will defintly find help here.

help us cope

thank you! it is suppossed to be 12 hrs...yeah right! this is our first try with medication. we are so lost with it as well as exausted! she does great in school but by the time she gets home all h_ll breaks loose! what do your sons take?

needabreak

well he was on80 mills of rittalin.now he is on 30 mills of focollin.if i spelled it right.i can not handle him without medicine.it is very hard.i have him in behavior therepy and i see a phycctrist.,he is only 5 and it is a long hard road and mine has been going on for two years all most.but i will not give up.i will try everything if i have to help my son.i hope you find help for your difficult child.also my sons medications only last two and a half hours.so it is a guessing game with medications.

Liahona

You can normally see all family members and what medications they take in the signature at the bottom.

David is going to the psychiatrist on Friday and I'm expecting him to change some things. David is still agressive, which is our main worry. He has stopped the hours long rages and the violence has stopped being directed at me and husband. But, he is still violent toward his 2 year old brother. His moods seem to have leveled off, but its not a nice level. He is also having night terrors. I'd like the night terrors to go away and the violence to stop. And his anxiety to decrease. Right now he is supposed to be sleeping and he just told me he is scared of the spiders.

What kind of behaviors are you seeing at home?

help us cope

I HEAR THAT MY DAUGHTER IS UP AT 5AM AND GOES ALL DAY UNTIL 10-11 AT NIGHT.I CANT GET ANYTHING DONE. THEN IM UP ALL NIGHT TRYING TO PLAY CATCH UP. THE TANTRUMS ARE AWFUL AND THE SCREAMING IS DRIVING ME NUTS! SHE HAS BEEN THIS WAY FOR 3 YEARS AND WE ARE JUST NOW TRYING medications. WE ARE TOTALLY WORN OUT. THANKS!

pepperidge

We give our son 5 mg Adderall XR in the morning at about 7 am. it tends to wear off sometime in the afteroon, though we can't tell exactly when. I don't think it lasts 12 hrs. When needed in the past we have supplemented with 2.5 mg Adderall regular formula at about 3-4 pm. If sleep is a problem try Melatonin.

My only word of advice is that while Adderall has helped my son immesurably, before he started on bipolar medications it did up the aggression considerably during the rebound period/ That hasn't been a problem since we added all the other medications.

help us cope

SHE CAN BE AGGRESSIVE AND SOMEWHAT VIOLENT TOWARDS HER 3 YEAR OLD SISTER PUSHING AND HITTING. IF WE SAY NO TO SOMETHING THE BATTLING CAN GO ON FOR A HOUR OR MORE...AND WE PICK THE BATTLES! SHE JUST DOESNT LISTEN NO MATTER THE CONSEQUENCE. SHE JUST THROWS TANTRUMS AND WE WONT GIVE IN. ITS SO TIRING AND THE DAYS ARE FULL OF HEADACHES.WE GO BACK TO THE doctor TOMORROW AND I WANTED SOME INPUT

help us cope

THAT GOOD FOR ME TO HEAR I DONT FEEL SO ALONE. WE HAVE NOTICED THE AGGRESSION AND ANGER AFTER SCHOOL. BY DINNER ITS OUT OF CONTROL. SHE ALSO TAKES 5 MG ABOUT 7 AM. SLEEP DIDNT SEEM TO BE A PROBLEM AT FIRST BUT IT HAS BECOME AN ISSUE. THANKS

Liahona

The first clue to the docs that David was BiPolar (BP) and not just ADHD was his reaction to the ADHD medications. Focalin sent him over the top manic. That is when the pediatrician said it was beyond his scope to help and that we should go to a psychiatrist. (We already had an appointment at that time, but it was nice to know he knew his limits.)

BusynMember

Have to agree that if Adderrall makes him aggressive and violent, it may not be ADHD. Maybe get a second opinion from a Child Psychiatrist (the one with the MD). He may need a mood stabilizer and the stims may be escalating his behavior. JMO.

Marguerite

Another possible problem - the dosage may not be right for her. Although if others even older are on the same dose - frankly, I think MidwestMom is right, you need to keep talking to the doctor who prescribed this and maybe ask for further tests. When we first began to medicate our children (those who are on medications) it took some times to get the medication right. Plus, as they have got older and their needs have changed we've needed to change their medication as well.

See what she is like on the weekend, see if YOU can see the improvement during the day. A few things to watch for - it's early days for her too, she is still trying to learn self-control with a mind that is now more unpredictable than it was. It will take time for her to adjust, especially to change in how she copes, as medications begin to work, or begin to wear off. Plus, there CAN be another problem called rebound. This is where, in some cases, the symptoms suddenly become much worse as the medications are wearing off - worse than if the child weren't medicated at all. Only some kids have this problem and with different medications. My son had rebound on ritalin but not on dex. A friend had rebound on dex but not ono ritalin.

Also, keep a diary. The computer is good for that - each day make notes (short ones if you don't want to do too much). Write down any good things, any bad things and anything interesting. We used to use a record like this and sent it to school each day for the teacher to write in as well. It made it easier for us to know how the teacher was managing, and what sort of problem they had at school. It also helped us see connections between bad behaviour at home and problems at school which we might not have known about, without the diary.

She is only six years old. You've been through some terrible times but it should soon begin to improve. You've made a lot of progress with finding someone who believes in you and wants to help your child. Often parents struggle for a lot longer, being told it's their fault. It isn't.

I may have some other suggestions for you to consider, later on. I don't want to overwhelm you right now.

Marg

Alisonlg

First off, some BIG CYBER HUGS coming your way! Pretty sure we've all been down the road of the screaming and the stress and feeling pretty darn helpless at times and I know how terrible that just feels inside.

Secondly, welcome to the board! You've found a great group of parents here who are full of kind words, support, and first hand knowledge- so stick around and soak it all in!

Third, I don't have any medication advice, as we personally haven't yet ventured down that road, though I'm sure in the coming weeks we'll be trialing some medications. But, I did want to reach out to you anyway and let you know that you're certainly not alone.

tracy551

my 16 year old son was on every medication you could imagine from the age of 6. there was some difference at first but then nothing worked. we've been to doctors counselors you name it. At the age of 141/2 he became increasingly violent twards me, his brothers and then one day he put his hand thru a window because he didn't want to go to school. (15 stiches) some one at the hospital said i could contact CYS for more help. we had an in home team for about 7 months then he began to be "out of control" with them. So we ended up going to court and he was placed at a boot camp about 1 1/2 hours from home. He did very well there we talked and acculately became very close for the first time in years. He came home 8/18/06 and did well till about 1/07 then desided he didn't need scool or court ordered couseling any more. well now we're right back where we started. He's beenput in placement until an evaluation. is done and i don't know what happens after that.
I don't know if anyone will read this or not but if there is anyone out there who has tried to love there son as much as i have and it did no good please let me know. I feel like i have failed him and my little boy hates me for doing this. I have no one to talk to about this, I can barely type this without crying.
Did I do the right thing or what?

TerryJ2

Welcome! You have definitely come to the right place and have gotten some good input already.
The medications will wear off around bedtime, although if your child chews them, they will wear off at dinnertime or sooner. (Swallowing them makes them last longer.)

David's Mom... our easy child had night terrors and in fact, just had one last wk. for the first time in years. We took her to a hypnotherapist and it worked wonders. Basically, she was falling asleep too fast and instantly going into REM. Then she'd wake up an hr later and her body would be asleep, as well as half her mind. She was glassy eyed and walking like a zombie. She remembered nothing the next day. It's very similar to sleepwalking. The therapist talked to her in person, and also gave her a tape to listen to at night. It was his voice, telling her to fall asleep slowly, and in fact, I can't recall what else, but it worked. Now she only gets them if she's really stressed out... like exams, play practice, and lifeguard training all at once.
I have them on occasion but never knew what they were until we took easy child to the therapist.

With our g'fg on medications, it's no surprise that they don't all have night terrors, because the medications mess with-their normal circadian rhythms and REM cycles.

Liahona

tracy551 I haven't been there done that but I'm sorry for your pain and what you're going through. If you post your own thread you might get more response. I think the Parent Emeritus forum might have more parents who have been there done that.

Theresac

It's so hard when you first start the diagnosis/medication process.
So, although I cannot give you any 'answers' (as things change from one day to the next!), I can certainly offer you a hug!

My difficult child is only 7 1/2, but she's been on quite a few medications for her ADHD/ODD.

The new patch Daytrana worked great for her ADHD, which in turn helped with the ODD. However, she lost too much weight, and became anxious. Now, we're on Strattera, the only non-stimulant for ADHD. Her eating is better, her anxiety is doing very well, but her ADHD is not being addressed as much. I find she is much more oppositional and aggressive with the Strattera.

She is on 25 mgs of Strattera in the a.m., 10 mgs at 3:30, and 0.1 mgs. of clonidine at bedtime for sleep.