Adult difficult child at the Grocery Store

donna723

Medicare is no more a "gift" than my monthly Social Security check is! I paid in to those systems for 45+ years while I was working.

donna723

Around here those handicapped parking placards are on every other car and they must give them to anyone who asks. A girl I worked with still used one six years after a very minor injury, long since healed, compliments of her sister, the doctor! I've seen a great deal of misuse of them. A friend had one to use when she was taking her severely disabled mother to medical appointments, PT, etc., and she was one of the few who were honest enough to only use it when her mother was with her. It's far more common to see the whole family use it as a free pass to get the good parking spaces!

pasajes4

I have moderate RA. Some days are worse than others. I sometimes use a cane. There are times that I need to use a scooter cart when I shop. I often get funny looks when I shop using the scooter because the last time I shopped I did not.
My dr. will not ok a placard, because he feels it is not needed most of the time.

I get really ticked when I see young healthy people using the carts because they are fun to play with. I have seen teens having "races" down the isles while employees look on laughing.

in a daze

Sorry in a daze but I don't consider Medicare to be an "entitlement". I've been on Medicare for a couple of years now since I retired. And I now pay more than twice as much (for less coverage) than I paid for my medical insurance when I was working. It's hardly a gift or charity from the government ! I pay dearly for it!

Yeah, maybe that was a bad analogy.

And I didn't know handicapped sticker abuse was so rampant? So many lazy, able bodied people!

Check this out: http://abc7.com/archive/6435393/

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Pasajes, it's funny that you mention the "racing". My bff just saw a couple of teens doing this in a local grocery store. She HAS to use a scooter because she can't walk any distance.

I get frustrated with the store scooters because they are so slow. It never occurred to me that someone would use them to "play".

It's very hard the get a disabled parking tag in WI. You have to be unable to walk 200 ft unassisted. IL is also very strict.

husband had his parking tag stolen out of our car twice. They sell for a small fortune on the street in the cities in both states.

We used the tag as opposed to getting disabled plates because husband was often in someone else's car and could take the tag with him to use then.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm glad they called the police as well. She was out of control. The only thing I'm concerned about is what happens to the baby she had with her? Hopefully, there is a non-crazy family member who can take care of him. Cute little boy with blond curls, but the poor thing was totally freaked out and screaming his head off the whole time.

The bagging clerk who told me about the cops being called to remove this woman from the store told me that they had to forcibly peel the child off his mother.

How awful! That kid must've been totally traumatized.

DammitJanet

I get a handicapped tag but that has been an issue for me this past year because the vehicle that I had the tag for doesnt drive anymore and I couldnt get a placard as long as I had the tag. I didnt want to take the tag off because I am keeping insurance on the car so I can still sue that car dealer.

I havent been able to go in Walmart in about 9 months if I cant get a cart because of my mobility issues. I try to walk in my local smaller grocery store but not long ago I got stuck back in dairy when my knees simply went out on me. Tony had to go get the cart for me so I could even get out of the store. I ended up on the floor waiting for him because I couldnt stand. I try to walk when I can but its getting harder and harder. Honestly I wish I could simply get my own scooter because so often there isnt one available and I have to leave a store without shopping. I dont get out nearly as much anymore as I would like. I am becoming more and more homebound.