Adult Outcomes Survey: Thank You & Please HELP!

Mary

Hello all,

My name is Mary & I am a graduate student on Martie's research team. Martie and I and a few of my fellow students worked for several months working on the concepts and writing questions for the Adult Outcomes Survey. I want to thank those of you who have already taken the time to reflect and complete the survey. Your time, and thoughtful help is greatly appreciated!

Working with Martie for the last year I have heard much about this site and have read for myself the numerous difficult questions and concerns parents raise each day as well as the outpouring of support and advice from fellow parents. You likely post replies to each other because you know that each of your experiences may help other parents going through similar situations with their children.

It is this knowledge that led us to wonder what factors tend to lead to positive adulthood experiences for children with troubling emotional and behavioral problems throughout their youth. What activities, services, programs, therapies, interventions, or parenting strategies can parents use to effect good outcomes for their children? Our hope with the Adult Outcomes Survey is to extend the reach of this goal and collect a large amount of information to inform an even greater number of parents, teachers, psychologists, and advocates on how best to help our children.

Though I am young and it is early in my career working with children with emotional and behavioral problems, I have seen how frustrating, exhausting, lonely and (sometimes) rewarding parenting a difficult child can be. I sincerely hope that all of you with children who are old enough (17 or older) will take the time to participate in our survey and help us continue to gather and build a body of research to help benefit younger children with emotional and behavioral problems.

If you have not yet begun the survey please click the link below and start as soon as possible. Based on our previous survey work that the members of CD.com helped with, we have been accepted to present our findings from this new survey at a national conference of school psychologists in February and in order to have enough information to share with child service professionals from all over the country, WE MUST HAVE YOUR HELP NOW!!! The research process is a slow one, but you have the opportunity to know that if you choose to participate in our survey your responses WILL be shared with the school psychology community only a few months from now.

Please complete the survey as soon as you can and encourage any other parents with eligible adolescent or adult children (17 or older) to do so as well!

Thank you again, sincerely, for your help!

Mary Satchwell

ADULT OUTCOMES SURVEY LINK:

Adult Outcomes Survey

Fran

Former desparate mom
Mary, thanks.
I finished mine yesterday. Thanks for the reminder. There really isn't any excuse for a member who has been the recipient of support on this site to not participate. It's the least we can do to help Martie who gives tirelessly for all of us and for the future of difficult child's.

Keep us updated on how many have started and completed the survey. It will keep us motivated.

:fan: (this is my attempt to be a cheerleader) LOL

Abbey

Spork Queen
Mary and Martie...thanks so much for what you are doing. I always thought it was kind of ironic that me...mother of the board ions ago, had a child who never profited. In some sense, it's a lot of work for nothing...but who knows in the end. I endlessly hope I'm wrong.

I'm so glad that this site gives you an avenue to hopefully pursue this issue.

Abbey

Mary

Thank you Fran & Abbey for your words of support! Fran, we have 60 completed and 81 partially done! This is wonderful! We're still shooting for 100 completed as soon as possible so we can get to the analysis part and make some useful conclusions and sgare them with all of you and our fellow school psychs. Thanks again,

Mary

Fran

Former desparate mom
:bravo:
Success or lack of success of our difficult child is important to be studied. How else will we know?
Research is our biggest hope for the future and our grandchildren.
I know I will love with the same intensity as my own children. I would hate to think we will have no better process to help those difficult child's.

All of us need to do the survey if we have taken anything from this site, we must give back to keep the spirit of giving going.

Martie

Fran, Abbey, and Mary,

I just got back into Internet range from the wedding I attended in NC.

It's Christmas in October!!!!!!!!!!

There are 89 surveys that have been started and 66 that are completed. Throughout the time the survey has been available, the "completed" rate has stood at about 75% meaning that people who start DO come back to finish.

PLEASE, if you have started the survey, finish it.

I knwo we still need 11 more "new" people and 34 to finish to reach 100. However, I am a "glass half full" person and it was wonderful to be off the site for 5 days and come back to such good news.

Thank you for your support.

Martie

R

runawaybunny

A Gentle Reminder

Martie has informed me that there are still not enough of these surveys completed to properly analyze the data. There are also many surveys which haven't been completed.

If you have already completed a survey thank you :smile:

If you were thinking about taking it or completing the one you already started please do so at your convenience, but don't wait too long :smile:

Thank you for your participation :smile:

Martie

Hi everyone,

I am sorry to annoy you and if you have COMPLETED the survey, THANK YOU!!!!!

Currently there are 76 completed surveys. However 105 have been started. I know some of you have started but the survey is not returning you to the place you left off as promised. I cannot control how SurveyMonkey works. I have the survey "set' to allow return and also to accept more than one response for those who have 2 difficult children. I do know that 7 days are allowed for completion.

PLEASE complete the survey if you have not....I know that to those of you who do not do statistical analyses (which would be most of you) 76 might sound just fine. In fact, 100 is as close as we can cut it and analyze the data. What this means is I would rather have 150 or 200 but I knew from the get-go that we would not get that many.

To give you some perspective: The original survey had 632 responses of which 627 were usable (which is an incredibly high "good" rate). This gave the analysis a lot of statistical "power."

I only mention this to point out that in research more is always "better" but there are minimums below which the data does not work. What we are trying to find out is "what happened" to your difficult child in late adolescence and early adulthood--or in some cases, beyond "early." I have not looked at the data (I never do until a survey closes) but I do look at the completion numbers. In order to try to answer the research questions about what "helped," we need about 25% more of you to respond. There are 168 "regular" users of PE, so the potential response base needed is available.

If you can, please help by completing your survey, or email the link to someone who has a qualifying adolescent/adult. We have over 98% of the responses from CD.com, but it is not a requirement of the study.

Thank you,

Martie

Mary

Hello All,

Thank you again to the 80 of you who have completed the Adult Outcomes Survey!

We also have 33 started surveys yet to be finished, so if you have started, PLEASE take some time to finish the survey as soon as you can. We're very eager to analyze the data and hope we can reach our goal of 100 or more soon!

Thanks again,

Mary

Fran

Former desparate mom
:bravo: We are getting there.
Hope the other 33 finish this up so you can go about making wonderful discoveries that will help all of us.

Come on guys. Just finish up and we can stop bugging you. Martie needs your input. Without those who started the survey, Martie may not be able to compile the statistics she needs. You would hate to think you impeded research that will help your kids or your grandkids. :sword: Be a warrior mom and step up. Finish the study if you started and start one if you hadn't contributed yet.

You dads out there need to help, too. It's a chance to give back to the group and help research.

:its_all_good: