Adult SD Looking At Dogs...

DDD

Two weeks ago some guys tried to break into my SD's house. Her husband had left the alarm system off by mistake and she was really traumatized by the sound of breaking glass and the sight of another man with tools. She
locked herself in her closet, called the police and the bad guys fled.

She is considering a dog. She keeps an immaculate house, She is not a
pet person....just politely gives a flat hand pat when needed. She is the one who does not care for me, by the way. Such a poor judge of character, lol.

She told her sister she was considering a Boxer. We have a beautiful boxer and there were two previously. None of our boxers ever could get enough pats, loving and attention. Also none of our boxers were barkers.
Strangers were always seen as potential new friends unless there was a loud startlin noise or aggresive movement.

I suggested a lab or lab mix might be a better dog for protection. The ones we have had were wonderful pets but quite territorial. They didn't shed much either which would keep her house from being perfect. She doesn't like little dogs that yip. Any suggestions?? Polite ones, lol. DDD

klmno

German shephards are very trainable and loyal and protective. But I'm not sure there are any dogs that don't need some form of attention- either formal training or the rubs on the belly. LOL! Maybe she should get a bird that squawks when it hears a noise??

Fran

Former desparate mom
I don't know from experience but poodles and labradoodles are supposed to not shed and be pretty bright.

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
Our shepherd is a sweetheart to those he knows, but sure scares the beejeebees out of those he does not! His bark is big and is not a "habit barker". Just alerts us until we tell him it's ok and he quiets right down. He is only 9 months old and is an execellent watch dog. He does shed and he does loves attention, but is calming down nicely.

Our boxer we had a while back would bark but then kiss the heck out of anyone. She was brindle in color, so she was a bit alarming in that many thought she was a pit. Great dog!!!

****zu was a good watch dog except for the "habit barking". Chihuahua was the same, major barking.

Growing up we had a poodle, she was the best watch dog ever. Never barked unless she didn't know you, very friendly to those she knew.

Goldens, giant lap dogs, big barks but full of love and HAIR!!

My choice would be a labradoodle or poodle (no shedding, smart, not habit barkers) or a German Shepherd Dog (big shedders but excellent watch dogs).

DammitJanet

My suggestion would be to go to the pound and get a rottie/shepherd cross. They are great watch dogs and very friendly but people are scared if they come into the house unannounced. They have deep barks when they are grown. If she wants full blooded...a rottie would be good. Less boxerish but still loads of love.