Adult son back in jail for the nth time

Isn't it funny how they figure it all out? The sentences, the good time, the work time. I wish they were that smart in their every day choices. It's funny Sis told me the same thing, "I will only do 18 months max." It was a flat sentence, so she knows that there will be no parole hanging over her to violate after that.

I came back to this tonight. Yes, and it's even funnier to me that today I do not give a rats bum. Hope son enjoys his little stay. And I am now praying when he gets out of inpatient and has to go to face the music in other county for felony probation violation that he gets the full time.

Starting to think Son is that smart in his everyday life, seems he prefers jail to society in general. He must know after 8/9 stays in the pokey. maybe now this is his preferred living arrangement.

savior no more

DM -
There are times I think my son prefers jail but what I have really come to understand that it is the only place now that he is an adult that will give him an external locus of control as he has no internal locus of control. He is like this flagellating amoeba that just moves and bumps around in life with no inner sense of direction and purpose. God knows I've tried to give it to him but I am slowly beginning to understand it must come from within him - and not sure if it can. Perhaps time and prayer will tell.

I'll hopefully write an introductory post this week in between work and school work which will give more information. Basically same tune different verse to everyone here on the forum.

He is like this flagellating amoeba that just moves and bumps around in life with no inner sense of direction and purpose.
Good to know you are finding some humor in this. Helps me too to find the humor.

I think the same just didn't quite know how to word it. I love how you worded it.
it is the only place now that he is an adult that will give him an external locus of control as he has no internal locus of control.
This makes perfect sense to me.

I am happy to be going to two more jobs this coming week. I will be so busy, I will not have time to be obsessing over his flagellating amoeba selfish self.

New Leaf

Lies, lies, lies, more manipulation, etc. I just want to grab him by his shirt collar and shake him. Makes me sure now, he's not been being so straight the past two years. I highly doubt he just happened to do it that one time in past two years. Of course, dumby, I say to myself, of course, drug users are liars. Doubt he just happened to relapse that one day. He just happened to get caught. Little BLEEP! Not feeling very loving right now.

Good thing I can't get a hold of him. He is in a good place. Jailbird blues.
Hey, Detaching, you are no dummy, stop being mean to yourself. Our kids know just where to grab us, directly to the heart, for the kill. They ignite our hopes for change, override our defenses, then yank our heartstrings.
It is a one step forward three steps back, like the old game, "Mother may I?"

We are not to blame for wanting the best for our kids. We are not to blame for falling for their trickery, it is all on them.

Meth is disgusting. UGH.

I wish my kid was in jail, maybe she would wake up enough to see what she is doing to herself. Yup, what a wish for my kid.
latest

Desperate measures, for desperate situations.
|:-)| cool beans, thanks IC. IS there a flying pig one for Pigless?

Well, I am trying really, really hard, to distance myself, and light the candle for hope, living my life.
Sigh.
:warriorsmiley:
Carry on soldiers.
(((HUGS)))
leafy

It is a one step forward three steps back, like the old game, "Mother may I?"
Thanks Leafy for this. Now, knowing myself, I will say this to him..."stop playing Mother May I, with me BOY!!

Now, also, I want to pull the Monopoly jail card out of our Monopoly game and mail it to him in a letter, if I ever decide to write him one. I used to write him alot in jail. Just feel it falls on blind eyes-deaf ears. Wonder if the jail will give that letter to him.|:-)|

You're right. Beat myself up is what I often do best. We ALL need to stop the madness. Right. There.

Hard as it may be.

Sister's Keeper

DM,

I get it. I'm at the point, now, where the lies don't bother me. I have just accepted that, pretty much, everything is a lie. "How do you know when a junkie is lying? His/her lips are moving."

Eventually you just get to that point. What set me off this time is the actual truth.

I think savior is right about jail. I think it is a weird thing. In a way they don't want to be there because they can't get high, but it another way they thrive there because it is the only place they experience any stability. They can't wait to get out, and have the whole formula for when they can get out figured out, but they end up right back in. It's such an odd dichotomy.

I said before, I'm at the point, now, where I just wish that they would keep her for the entire 5 years or longer. It may be selfish, but that would be 5 less years of stress for me. The worst thing is the waiting for that call. The one where you finally hear that they have died as some result of their lifestyle. It's like going to the dentist. You dread it, but you know it's coming.

DM, what I like about writing letters is that you can put your feeling right out there, all of them, and you don't have to listen to arguments and lies and excuses. You can choose not to open any letters sent to you util you want to. There is something very cathartic about being able to clearly express your feelings without having them challenged or refuted.

Your instincts are correct. He didn't shoot meth "just that once." There is usually a progression of use and injecting is way down the line. They usually start with less potent methods (with heroin they snort 1st) and work their way up to the big guns. I learned this from my sister. They resist shooting as long as they can because they know once they start shooting again they are going way down the wormhole. I don't know why they see they snorting as "less serious" but they do.

The worst thing is the waiting for that call. The one where you finally hear that they have died as some result of their lifestyle.
I've been a hot mess over this.
After I let him clean my bank account out, I was worried sick about how I would pay for his funeral...would I have to have him cremated, would I have to just have a "wake" or a small get together, because he's ruined my credit, spent all my money, etc. I mean I am not totally broke, as I am always capable of making ends meet, but..bc credit is bad, and I have no savings, I've even thought "OMG, what will I do, have to ask my man to pay for it...I mean it's sick. I am sometimes sick in the head over it.

I have found myself worried sick about him dying then angry because now I can't pay for a funeral if he does pass away.

What a mess. This one just floors me. I feel grossed out at my own thoughts of being angry about this...I almost feel selfish, well I do feel selfish for having these thoughts. Like what is wrong with me for being more mad at him about having to pay for a funeral. On some level, I feel he will never be at peace, and I cannot live the latter half of my life making everyone around me wonder if I am ok. I don't know....

This one absolutely almost paralyzes me.

I get it. But can;t get over it.

Also I agree on the letters, I am just too mad at him right now. I will end up chastising and patronizing. Not going to help right now. Either of us. He knows I love him and will be here to a certain extent when he gets out. I know he loves me. and that's all we have at the moment.

New Leaf

On some level, I feel he will never be at peace, and I cannot live the latter half of my life making everyone around me wonder if I am ok. I don't know....
Reading this makes my stomach churn. Not at your writing, but at the thought of what may be.
Yes, it has crossed my mind, many times. That the end result of all of this may be the ultimate loss of my two, my grands. I quickly wipe those thoughts away with my tears, and say a prayer.
Thoughts and words have power.
So, trying to keep my thoughts and my chin up, build my armory, for whatever the future holds, and pray for peace of heart and mind in the mean time.
Life is full of mystery. One never knows.
Keeping the faith, but staying real and grounded. Looking for steady state and working towards radical acceptance.
Also remembering Viktor Frankls talk about perceiving our children finding their meaning and aiming high with our thoughts and words. He likened it to flying an airplane against the winds, aiming above the targeted landing area. "Crabbing"

The idea is that if we lift our thoughts and words up for our d cs, "crabbing" for what they can achieve, maybe they can actually land somewhere in middle ground. It's worth a try for me and better than awfullizing what could be. Finding their way and potentiality, yes, unfortunately they took a detour through the muck and mire of drugs.......but one never, ever knows.
There are many stories of drug addicts turning their lives around. Pivotal points.

Finding a meaning and purpose in their lives. Much better than the misery of focusing on what is happening now. I like this "crabbing", one may say I have my head in the clouds, pardon the pun, but I like overestimating these d cs, being an idealist. It is what my Dad used to always tell me "you can do what ever you want, as long as you are willing to work for it."

(((HUGS)))
leafy

DM, what I like about writing letters is that you can put your feeling right out there, all of them, and you don't have to listen to arguments and lies and excuses. You can choose not to open any letters sent to you util you want to. There is something very cathartic about being able to clearly express your feelings without having them challenged or refuted
I like this SK. Imagine infusing letters with the endless possibilities held out for them..........nothing to refute or argue, just what their lives could be, in a positive way.
Write the pissed off ones to ourselves, shoulda, coulda, woulda, but give them the idea that we know they can achieve anything they put their minds to........

Okay, feeling Pollyannish, and rambling along the lines of hope.
I guess for me, looking at the dreaded outcome, is just too, too much.

(((HUGS)))
leafy

In a hurry ... gotta get going but just wanted to say I LOVE VIKTOR FRANKL lol

Last week I sent Son Mans Search For Meaning...he talked to his girlfriend today who in turn told me he wanted her to tell me thank you. He's reading the book!!!

It's one of my favorite books....he might just draw a few parallels and apply those to his life accordingly. Time will tell.

I will go back to writing him letters. Just when I am not so angry as to not be helpful.

He knows I love him, I know he loves me, and that's what we have...it'll have to be enough for right now.

I like this "crabbing", one may say I have my head in the clouds, pardon the pun, but I like overestimating these d cs, being an idealist. It is what my Dad used to always tell me "you can do what ever you want, as long as you are willing to work for it."
I do too!! I don't like to give up. I'm a fighter, and dammit, I will fight for him until the end! BUt, dammit he has to fight for himself too! :)

I feel he is fighting for himself. He showed me he is self-regulating right now, even though he's in jail and being forced to...I have had signs that he is doing some fighting of his own. :)

New Leaf

I do too!! I don't like to give up. I'm a fighter, and dammit, I will fight for him until the end! BUt, dammit he has to fight for himself too! :)

I feel he is fighting for himself. He showed me he is self-regulating right now, even though he's in jail and being forced to...I have had signs that he is doing some fighting of his own. :)
Yes, yes and yes. You are so right DM. These kids have got to fight too. I am glad your son is fighting for himself, small steps forward........
(((Hugs)))
leafy

I think Son is "settling" into jail culture.

Probably will not be much to talk about now, as I have settled into and accepted the new (old) "normal" now too as much as possible.

He's back on medications, supposedly going to some NA classes there, and working a trustee job. He's also supposedly reading the books I've sent. (I say supposedly a lot when talking about him, bc he lies a lot).

He has been trying to call me, but I am following his own advice about not putting $ into his account, other than maybe $10 of Thursdays.

We shall see....

I am worried a little bit about the latter part of his sentence. He's supposed to go to an inpatient treatment hospital directly from jail. But, I talked to a very long time friend/social worker last night who deals with that hospital. She said what almost always happens is the person gets there, and only ends up staying at most, 14 days. Even if they have been sentenced through court. The usual, no beds open long game.

Fingers crossed, and that bridge will be crossed when we get to it. But, if not I think it will be yet another let down for him, as much as it will be for me....let downs are not good for people who really want to help themselves. And, while this was forced upon him, he "sounds" like he really was looking forward to it. Oh well...cross that bridge when we get there.

Off to work I go....must keep self busy, or I will go crazy.

Just an update.

I've been keeping myself very busy. Working two out of the home jobs, both having to do with working with people with mental illness. I love it. It keeps me busy helping those who want my assistance/guidance. Also, I'm working "passively" on my home based business in my extra time. Helping to increase the quality of life for those who want it, fills me up inside and keeps me happy.

Son is doing better on medications in the county jail. I went about two weeks just letting him simmer and think. Didn't talk to him at all during those two weeks. He did write me a beautiful letter. He sounds great, sober, clear headed. He understands why I "stepped back". He understands that I feel that I actually hinder his progress more when I'm constantly after him to do better, so I back off for now. He understands he has to sit in this very temporary place that he created himself. He understands why he is where he is and how he got there, and what needs to be done to start down a better path, so that he can be the best father/man that he can be. He knows I do what I do out of love. He respects me so much more for doing the things I do with him. He is also NOT asking me to do anything to fix his situation for him, neither is he blaming me anymore. He is taking full responsibility, and this is a BIG step in the right direction. He even told me he was proud of me, for doing what I do (work, supporting him emotionally, helping others), and that he is proud that I will be his daughter's grandmother, because he thinks I will be a good influence and positive force in her life, because he is aware of the gfs/mother's limitations. Very sweet. This is progress and seems small now, but I think we have officially turned this into a positive ordeal.

At his prelim hearing he was told by the Judge she would sentence him to 4 months in jail and 90 days intensive inpatient dual diagnoses treatment center (very lucky), If he does well. I am not sure what will happen as he did get into a small bit of trouble in the jail, and Judge said any trouble would set him back into a full 9 months in jail. He currently is set to go to inpatient around April 20th. The trouble was that he was granted the privilege of being a trustee, and he said he lost that privilege because he "didn't wash the dishes very good." So now I am not sure if Judge will consider that trouble. I don't think so, as it's relatively minor in the grand scheme of things...minor set back.

I did finally talk to him on the phone last night. He also wants me to write a letter to Judge requesting that he be allowed "work release" from the treatment center during the day. I told him no. Not a good idea as that would interfere with his focusing on recovery. He didn't like that...but he agreed it was possible and plausible to create more trouble. He didn't ask again.

He's still reading Man's Search For Meaning. He says he likes it, but I am not so sure he really does like it, as it's a relatively easy read and he's had it for about three weeks now and says he's only half way through it. No big deal, as I am just glad he's sounding better, healthier, more focused.

He's been fine, but now his pregnant girlfriend is trying to place demands on me. Ugh. I really try to be good with her. She is trying my nerves however. A week ago, I went out and bought a pack n play, clothes, and a "princess" silk pillow for the baby girl who is due the end of April. She was happy for about a day. She said she now wants diapers and bigger bottles. I said to her, oh we have time, she will not need diapers until she is born, or bigger bottles for a few good months. She texts me and said, "I want those now."

Holy Xmas, this girl. I told her no. I told her do no demand I do anything now or you will get a big fat nothing. I told her a week ago that I would get more items for the baby before baby is born. This will be a point of contention I am sure.

At the same time I took her the gifts a week ago, I met her mother for the first time (where son's girlfriend lives). It was like talking to two 13 year old girls. The mom and son's girlfriend had a verbal fight in front of me, over the father (hers) telling everyone the baby shower was a half hour earlier than it was originally planned. These two got into it, name calling, picking up cell phones frantically texting people, oh my....I just sat there trying to figure out what to say. I finally threw my hands up and said something like "you two need to keep going to therapy together (which they do), and the girlfriend said she's not going to F*#&%&#$& therapy again. I said you both lack problem solving skills and kindly got up and said good bye. I tried to tell them it was no big deal, they were already going to be at the hall three hours early, just be ready a half hour early. What had an easy solution was blown into a massive quarrel.

Now that I have had a week to think about it, I still have no idea what to think. All I can see is CPS incoming fast after the baby's born. I will call them myself. The mother actually admitted telling them both they were "stuck at age 13", which is where I got that from. ****shaking my head***, but keeping my patience. For now.

Now, it's hard to fathom. These two women, mother and daughter, live together and are at each other's throats. The dad/husband is off working non stop to support these two. Neither have ever worked. They get whatever they want, when they want it....both of them...utter chaos, selfishness, no self awareness, haven't a clue. Son has spoiled girlfriend rotten, her parents have too. All she see's my son for is a "free ride" and a sperm donor. There really is no shame. And, all the while they claim to be God fearing, worshiping people. Every time I turn around, they are telling me, don't worry God will fix it, then asking for some type of free hand out.

My biggest fear is that Son will get out, be trying to focus, trying to get his business back on the path of success, where it was before he went to jail, and he will not be able to cope with her constant demands...setting himself up for failure....resorting back to his "bad" coping skills--by quitting his mental health medications and self medicating with illegal substances. I once watched her throw a massive tantrum bc Son bought her an android phone instead of the latest iphone. I just can't...but I feel like I have to tolerate her.

Anyway, this is where I am at. I wrote him a letter explaining my fears. My mother said I should not have sent the letter about my fears, but I did it anyway. I felt he had to hear it, and best to hear it while he was incarcerated, then on his way to inpatient. No time like the present to get my fears written to him in black and white. He will get what I'm trying to say.

He told me last night, he was going to get out, try to be the gentle but hardworking provider he knows he can be, and if girlfriend doesn't appreciate it, he will go the joint custody or whatever he can get given his disposition, arrangement, then move on.

Time will tell.

For now I continue to do the things most important to me and the rest of the family. And love him from the distance he created this time.

A dad

I will hold on calling CPS in the end being raised by a 13 year old is still better then the hellhole it will be if the state will take them. It should be quite bad for the state to take them. Where I live social services tries to find a relative who can take them first before the state and trust they ask every relative because its bad very bad and that is before they decided if the parents are unfit or not so for the years the justice system decides the fate of the children they will not live in the hellhole the system is.
Probably the same thing will be with the baby but what makes the grandfather unfit?

I will hold on calling CPS in the end being raised by a 13 year old is still better then the hellhole it will be if the state will take them. It should be quite bad for the state to take them. Where I live social services tries to find a relative who can take them first before the state and trust they ask every relative because its bad very bad and that is before they decided if the parents are unfit or not so for the years the justice system decides the fate of the children they will not live in the hellhole the system is.
Probably the same thing will be with the baby but what makes the grandfather unfit?
Yes, You are right. I'm ahead of myself. I soon as I posted that, I thought, ummm, no CPS is a bad idea.

Hopefully I can play it right, and keep my mouth quiet and just be there with new baby often too. So hard.

I should add that the mother's been pulling the daughters/girlfriends hair, and the daughter/girlfriend has been punching the mother and breaking things in the house. Sadly, if this happens around the baby, there might not be a choice. The girlfriend has been in jail three times for domestic violence. If I could take the baby when she has poor coping skills, this might help. Guess I will have to wait and see if she changes....they keep saying it's just her hormones, bc she's pregnant, but it was only six or so months ago, she went to jail for hitting my son, punched him in the face, in the middle of the mall in front of a security guard who called the police.

Not much I can do now....have time to figure it out I guess.

BusynMember

Sounds bad. Not a good time for a baby to be born to either parent. Neither are proven mature or stable. I hope you can play a big role in babys life. Realistically, she has two immature parents, both who have been in jail and use substances and the other grandma to be sounds unstable too.
I hope Mom is not drinking, smoking or using other substances during her pregnancy.
Hoping things do work out and big hugs.

I hope Mom is not drinking, smoking or using other substances during her pregnancy.
Thank God, No. She's never been a substance abuser. According to what her parents said, she's diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and a severe anxiety disorder. Supposed to be in therapy, was for 8 weeks, doing OK, then quit and immediately went back to her usual ways.

Not good either way. There's a lot more to it here. For starters, she, her father, and the mother all said the baby wasn't even my Son's. I am secretly praying that's the case, that it's not Son's as much as I know it will hurt him. Son's father is petitioning for a paternity test on Son's behalf for right after baby is born. I am unsure too, since she "cheated" on him two weeks before she showed up saying she was pregnant. Even so, Son said he wants to be the "father/provider". So, I guess I just wait and see, not much else I can do now.

The day before Son got arrested, he went out and bought nice things for the baby, clothes, a cute pink baby bouncy seat that played music, and a baby bath....for unknown reasons, right after they, her family members, were calling him a Piece of S%#t, telling him baby wasn't his...set him off on a bad coping way. They were telling him he "sucked" at what he does for a living, which is more than any of them could accomplish and he's very good at it, his house wasn't good enough, his truck wasn't good enough...really emotionally hurtful things. She's just seemingly stringing him along, bc she knows he will do whatever she wants. Sad, but he will definitely have to realize this (or not) on his own. I told him I wouldn't bring it up again, until he did first.

I actually pray he leaves her, and that crazy family, and that the baby's not his. He just doesn't feel good enough, and keeps right on trying despite what they say and think of him. Right before he was arrested, he had just finished paying over $20000 of all his obligation on his own, with money he earned himself in a year, still got his own place and handled all his own business. The other two idiots he was with paid zero, he fixed it alone without anyone's help. He was almost free and clear. I am still angry and sad for him. The trouble from before was for stupid petty stuff, felonious non-the-less (stole motorcycles from neighbor--he paid back twice what they were worth), from his 21st birthday ignorant celebration that got carried away. Ignorant. He paid for his crime. But now this...ugh...I digress. digress. digress. Gotta be careful here so I do not forget the drug use and total history of mental health in my own unhealthy quest to rationalize. So close, but now so far away.

He may even end up in prison for boot camp for 18 months, as when he gets out of inpatient he has to go face felony probation violation. I don't think he will but it's up to the Judge and his p/o. :(

Gfs mother is immature, thankfully no drug use there either...I think the worst case scenario there is they will do the opposite of how I think a daughter should be raised...dependent on others with poor coping skills, unable to function on her own, and learning to fight and hurt others to get others to do what she wants. Guess it could be worse. What I think doesn't matter to any of them, I realize this...rationally it's a non-starter.

Not my choice, either way. I am kind of back to where I was when I started writing in this forum....the big questions...to stay and be "all in" or go and be "all out", with regard to being in the baby's life (if it's his). The middle option is to be there like I am normally, from a distance, doing only what I can comfortably do...probably the likely solution...doesn't make it hurt any less.

Thanks for the hugs SWOT. :)
I know I am rambling...makes me crazy and feel unstable sometimes...the rationalizing, the digressing, the ranting, the sense of unease constantly, etc.