Advice needed for blood draw / 2nd appointment with psychiatrist

tictoc

Just saw this post, so my reply might be too late...My advice, make an appointment with the lab. Do not just walk in. You might have to wait a long time...and waiting is the worst part for my difficult child.

I never tell difficult child until about and hour before the appointment. Then we discuss what his 'prize' will be. If I told him earlier, then he would have too long to freak out and too long to obsess over the prize.

Good luck!

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
OK we got through it!!! Here's how it went down...
My mom came over this morning and we got in the car and headed out, once we drove into the hospital parking lot difficult child perked up and asked where we were going. I told him we were going to breakfast there (we discovered their little diner when I gave birth to my youngest - good memories for all of us) but first we had to stop by the lab. He didn't ask any questions. My mom sat down with him and I walked up to the front desk to give them the lab orders. The girl that I spoke to yesterday was there (I called to tell her we would be coming and this was his first time, etc.). She remembered talking to me and asked if we were ready to go back.

So we all walked back and she told difficult child to go ahead and have a seat. At this point you could see the anxiety building and the questions started coming - what are we doing here - I said we need to have some lab work done. He said who does - you? I said no, you do. Then she said we just need to get out a little bit of blood. He got up and said oh no, I'm not doing this. My mom and I told him to please sit down and it would be over very quickly. He kept looking at what the girl was doing. I told him he could watch if he wanted to or he could look away and for him to try to relax. As we were saying this, the lady poked him, his eyes got big, he moaned a little and starting getting tears, and we said that's it, it's all over, no more pokes, she's almost done - then she said I am going to take it out now and that was it.

He did so well! Really he was awesome! I am so proud of him. I was a wreck under it all - I felt like I was going to throw up when we went to eat breakfast. I was so worried because he had such a horrible night last night (different post) and he was awake until 1:30 AM and finally cried himself to sleep.

I'm glad that is over and it wasn't an awful experience for him. I'm glad they got it on the first try (unlike when they do me).

We went to the pumpkin patch and picked out pumpkins and difficult child went thru the corn maze. It is a beautiful sunny day. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and support!

crazymama30

I am glad he did well, the first time my difficult child had to have blood drawn he was about the same age, but he is pretty immature. I told him I would buy him a snickers bar when we were done. The tech was really nervous, as difficult child was so hyper, touching everything, nonstop talking, would not hold still. But when they went to draw the blood, he held perfectly still and watched the whole time. He got quite a kick out of it.